Rebatch question...

Angel91805

....where's the Rebatch Queen? I have questions! LOL.

My first CP batch was so lovely.....until I forgot the FO. <sigh> Being the sentimental cuss I am, I've lovingly cured them.....ok, screw that...I need scent! So, I'm going to rebatch...grate them up....I think the original batch was about 2.5 lbs of oils...SO....do I need to add any liquid to the soap as it's melting? I'm going to be adding 1.75 oz of FO at the end...but will I need some juice to get things going in the beginning of the crockpot remelt? If so, how much??

Thank you, My Queens (and Kings?)!!!

Donna

Spritz your soap shreds with liquid and toss like a salad with your hands. If you can, let them sit overnight with a lid on the bowl. Lightly misting should be enough...too much liquid, like a lot of sites say to use, will cause your soap to warp as it dries out.

Sorry, had to run cause kids... well, you know!

I'm no expert (far from it) but here goes -

If the soap is still fresh you need next to nothing in terms of additional liquid. Definitely mist if necessary. Or put your hand under the faucet and sprinkle in a few drops of water like that.

Your soaps have cured but I'm assuming they are still fairly new. Grate them up - the finer and more even the pieces are the smoother your rebatch. Mist with water - I'm thinking a couple of teaspoons per pound? Some people actually use milk instead of water but I'm not sure why on that one. You want damp - like fresh-from-the-mold soap would be - not liquid!!! So you can take a handful, squeeze, and it'll stick together - like that. Remember you can add more water but it is harder to take it out!

I've never let mine sit overnight, but I'm NOT the queen of a good rebatch and now that I think about it that's a GREAT idea. Covered of course or it will dry out.

Eugenia has posted recently on different methods.

Yup...know all about kids.....lol.....

OK...I'm gonna grate and mist tonight and then tomorrow morning I'll turn the crock on.

I did see Eugenia's posts lately (waded through 8 pages of "rebatch" search!) but never saw how much liquid to use after a 4 week cure. Maybe it was there and my eyes crossed. I did do a rebatch this past weekend with the boiling water method.....worked great untill, apparently, my roasting bag got a hole in it! UGH. I'll stick to the crockpot. But what do you do with the soap that sticks to the side of the crock and turns white? Do you stir it back in? I did that on a Milk & Honey rebatch and they never did remelt...lol.

Donna

But what do you do with the soap that sticks to the side of the crock and turns white? Do you stir it back in? I did that on a Milk & Honey rebatch and they never did remelt...lol.

Donna

That's why I prefer the microwave method. With the crock pot, I tended to walk away and leave it, and by the time I got back, dried soap had accumulated on the sides and there was no way to get it to melt back in.

With the microwave, After the initial 2-3 minutes on half power, I stir it down, then cover and zap in 15-20 second intervals, stirring down in between until it's all melted and at the right consistency.

So the key is to stay right on top of it while it's doing it's 'thing' in the MW and the scraping and stirring down in between zaps.

The microwave method is also way faster than the crockpot method, as far as I know. You just have to keep putting it back in for short periods to make sure everything is melted evenly. I normaly also only spritz a small amount of water to make the shreds slightly damp. Be careful though, if it start looking like hair mousse when you heat it, stop and stir first before putting it back. That is almost at the point of burning, which you don't want. If you burn it you will end up with dark brown pieces in your soap - not nice...

Anytime I've rebatched, I always used 1/4 c. milk for every pound of soap. Information I've gotten from seasoned soapers claim that the milk cuts down on sudsing. Works every time!!

Also when I've rebatched, I never grate my soap. All I've ever done is cut it in small chunks, pour the milk in and away I go!

HTH

Well I attempted to rebatch. Mine was sort of a brown color but it was that color when I started and somewhat thick. Hopefully it wasn't burn't. Guess we'll see. I did this one in the microwave.

When you say the slow cooker how long and what setting is the soap on?

Thanks

Kelly

I put my slow cooker on low and really never time it, just watch it.

The rebatching does look like applesauce but thicker.

As for the goat's milk, I've never used it but I remember reading on another board from a Soaping Queen that she tried it and it made the soap "stink" like goat's milk (YUK) so I would say that's up to you if you want to try it.

Well if your adding milk to rebatch I believe your supposed to do it at the end of the cook not before. Even powdered. Otherwise it will burn. I just made oatmeal, milk, and honey rebatch and I added all the ingredients at the end. I heated up 1/4 cup of milk, with honey, oatmeal, and rice bran oil. It comes out really good.