Opinions and advice on testing....

Since we have so many new people coming in who want to learn how to make candles, I think it would be good to have a thread on testing candles. Granted, there will always be those who don't think testing thoroughly is necessary. We can't help those who don't want to learn.

This thread would be for those who do want to learn how to make a high quality candle. It can be very hard for a newbie to test properly when you don't even know what to look for. I remember those confusing days.

Such things as....

How long to test a candle....

How long a test burn should last and how many burns...

What to look for when testing...

Differences for different candles - Pillars, Votives, Containers, Hurricanes, etc...

I'll start.

Pillars - Test under different conditions. Proper burns of 3 - 4 hrs each, keeping the wick trimmed and marathon burning without touching the candle.

Melt pool should be about 3/4" deep with a wall remaing of about 1/4". No blowouts(wax running down the outside of candle) or tunneling(burning straight down the center). No soot. Steady, even flame. Minimal mushrooming.

Next.....Come on folks :)

I test a couple of different ways. Nice 4 hour burns. Trim before lighting. See if I like the looks of the flame (size, shape, brightness, mushrooms), doesn't drown out or become a torch, good melt pool, not much flickering or soot, good throw of course. Usually I just do a couple of burns at first.

Once I've narrowed down a wick to my basic requirements, then I do a test all the way to the bottom. Especially in jars - the jar changes the burn deeper down, there's less oxygen, and more heat buildup. Still keeping burns to 3-4 hours. I don't put out a flame just to trim - if it needs that much work, I keep searching for another wick. I only trim before I light.

Then when I'm pretty sure I like the wick, I do a final customer burn test. Light it and forget it (in the bathtub). I want to see what happens when someone marathon burns - does the flame get really big and sooty, does a jar get really hot or a pillar break, what happens if you never trim. Sometimes if a wick selection is "iffy" this can help you decide to go to a smaller wick. Cuz you *know* people will burn like this. At the very least if they call with a "problem" you can look at their symptoms and figure out they weren't burning according to instructions.

Marathon burning/testing without trimming a wick is VERY VERY important to do!!

My mom took one of my tins as a tester, I told her to trim to 1/4" before every burn etc. didn't give her a tester sheet, but explained what should be done with ALL candles etc. but did she listen??? NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I went over there a couple of weekends ago, and she said, "OMG Michelle, your candle blew up on me, look at it!!" it had little bits of carbon/black mushroom tops all over the top of the candle etc. and no wick to be found!! :eek: (found out she had pulled the wick out)

She said she had it burning in the kitchen, went off to do something and came back in and it was sputtering and blew the top right off the wick all over the place-HUH????

I'd never ever had this happen to me, so I asked her if she had trimmed the wick before burning? She said, "oh, I'm supposed to trim the wick? I never have trimmed the wick!!" :rolleyes2

I'm using zincs which get the dreaded mushroom with each burn, so i can only imagine just how big that mushroom was after a couple of burns without trimming!!

My question is, if you find a wick that works really well, when properly cared for (trimming between burnings etc.), are you supposed to actually wick a candle with a wick that will work if someone never trims it?? I just cannot see someone anyone burning a candle with a 1" wick, KWIM??

I've now educated my mom yet again, on the proper ways to burn candles, but for others how can you make sure they follow these instructions, and if they DON'T, how can one avoid what happened to my candle with future candles??

Did that make sense?? LOL

That's what makes wicking so damn hard! Trying to find one that will burn great when done properly yet still give a decent burn if they light it and forget it all day :shocked2:

Michi - No, people aren't as likely to light a candle with an inch long wick(but don't hold your breath, because some will!), but they are very likely to ignore it once it's lit until the wick is that long and continue to ignore it. Have you marathon burned them yourself? Did they have any problems like that? Maybe try to recreate(exactly) a few like you gave her and marathon burn them to see what happens. I've never run into that since I avoid zincs, so I don't really know... just a thought.

Votives _ basically small container candles that can be replaced. They need to be placed in a tight fitting votive holder for burning. A full melt pool is like containers also. The entire top should be liquid. The longer it burns the deeper the liquid wax will be. I consider 1 - 2 hrs a average time to reach full mp. The sides of the holder should not have any soot on them.

Lets see what I'm missing.....brain fart, can't think of anything else at the moment. :rolleyes2

Yep Cheryl, actually I am guilty of marathon burning my candles quite a bit! :eek: LOL

I've never run acrossed the problem my mom had, but then again I DO trim my wicks upon each burn, so maybe I should try (although it will be hard) to marathon without trimming-boy that sure goes against everything I've been taught, and will be hard to do when I see that big shroom on top.

I just can't believe someone would actually try to relight without trimming that off, but if my OWN MOTHER did it, I can only imagine how many others would also. GRRRRRR:rolleyes2

Oh here's a good one to know:

If you don't get a FMP on the first burn, try not to assume it is not a good wick for your container and/or pillar, sometimes it takes two to three burns before hang up will catch up.

This could save someone a lot of testing if they just give the wick a couple of burn chances before giving up on it (learned this the hard way!!). ;)

This is a great idea!!! :yay:

If you don't smell your candle right away.....You may have candle nose. Or it may need to cure some. I personally wait at least 48 hours before testing my candles for scent throw. Some smell great, some still need to sit for a few more days...depends on your wax and fragrance combo.

When testing wicks in jars, pour one without a wick. Use a skewer to poke a hole in the wax and insert your wick. If the wick isn't working for you, yank it out with needle nose pliers and try another one. (use a heatgun to level the wax out before lighting a new wick)

This method has saved me!

My favorite tip to newbies is to wait until your candle is completely cold. Do not try to unmold it if it isn't ready. You may wreck your candle. (ask me how I know)

It's exciting to get that candle out, but if you ruin it you will feel badly. Not a good thing. Candles are about happiness.......:yay:Donita

may I ask where are good places to get quality suppies at great prices??

I have bought from Lone Star, Bitter Creek and now today from Peak Candle making in CO...anyone ever bought from there??

There are very few peeps here who haven't bought from Peaks. Until recently, this board was sponsored by them. They have high quality supplies, the absolute best FOs, in my opinion. Customer service is awsome! Alan and Nachelle are just great. Occasionally you'll see Alan pop in here. If you have a question about an order, all ya gotta do is email or pm him. He'll fix ya right up :)

Also, if you do a SEARCH here in the forum on suppliers you'll get all kinds of info.

Oh yeah, you'll probably get more replies if you start a new thread. New questions kinda get lost buried in threads....