1 lb batch?

traceyy

I usually make 2 pound batches of cphp. Is there anything wrong with making a 1lb batch? Usually all the recipes I see are for 2 lbs and up so I was just wondering if there was any reason for this? I have today off of work and want to experiment a little with new scents and dyes that I got. I am guessing there is nothing wrong with this but figured I would ask

I do 1lbs batches for testing purposes only - testing new FO or recipe. I figure if it is going to be soap on a stick, rather 1 lbs of it than more. I have a scale going down to 1g so I can measure pretty accurately. Also, in the case of lye I round down, i.e. if it works out to be 64.6g of lye, I work it down to 64g. For water and oils I round up. As long as you stick to about 4 oils/butters in total it shouldn't be too hard. Just make sure you ran the smaller batch through a lye calc, don't just decrease the big recipe as you are working in small measurements.

HTH

My experience has been the smaller the batch the longer it takes to trace. I have no idea why that is. I use up to 60% lard in my recipes and it can take awhile, but when it's a smaller batch I have issues with it.

When I have scents to test I usually make a larger batch and split it up then ad the FO's.

Bethany

My experience has been the smaller the batch the longer it takes to trace. I have no idea why that is. I use up to 60% lard in my recipes and it can take awhile, but when it's a smaller batch I have issues with it.

When I have scents to test I usually make a larger batch and split it up then ad the FO's.

Bethany

Well I did 2, 1 lb batches today. It did take longer to trace! The second one started cooking as I was trying to get it to trace. Maybe I will have to mix the lye and oils before turning the crock pot on? I about to make more right now after I figure out what scents to use. Maybe this time I will just seperate into 2 bowls before adding the scent/color.

Forgive me, I didn't notice we were talking CPHP - I was thinking CP in my last post. I've done CPHP too though. I would think a pound batch in a crockpot would be way too small.

What I have done in the past is mixed everything to trace in a pot then added it to the Crockpot.

I would wait until it's time to add the FO's and then seperate into smaller bowls and add the FO's.

You could always come over to the cold side and make CP!

Bethany