Scents that make customers want to shop :)

TartAddict

I'm having my first open house in May. I'm trying to decide on what candles and tarts to burn (for ambiance). I was just wondering if there was a type of scent that might encourage customers to shop more :) I know that apple cinnamon types make a home seem "comfortable", and lavender is "relaxing".....any other thoughts? Just thought I'd get some other opinions :)

Thanks all!

D

Since the open house is during May I would consider a scent that is unique also. Creme Brulee and the typical bakery scents do make a home feel warm, but you are trying to sell--so you need a different approach. What scents do you offer that may be different?

Not sure about your area, but I keep lemongrass tarts burning in my shop, one being right near the entrance and everyone that comes in says "OMG, what is that that smells soooooo good. IMO, it's clean smelling, different and it's really a unisex scent. HTH Portia

I'd suggest something that is a bit different, more unique. A scent that people might not normally buy because it's odd (for example, pineapple cilantro) yet it throws really well.

Good luck!

mmm.. that sounds yummy. never heard of that scent before

Since its spring/summer I would burn a scent that brings to mind those seasons...lite, fruity, clean, fresh etc...I would probably stay away from heavier, winter-type scents......and yes, pineapple cilantro (from bcn) is a great scent! Very strong thrower too! One of my best sellers! HTH

I would stay away from florals, everyone doesn't like them and those who do don't like them all. Also, some people are allergic to cinnamon or really spicy scents. Try to use neutral scents that don't generally bother people with allergies. Pineapple is a good suggestion for summer. Berry type scents and tropical scents are good. Choose ones that have a strong throw that will

"grab" people's noses when they walk by. I can't burn some of my favorite scents because I have to consider people who have allergies. This really limits me to having many choices to burn. Even with being really careful, you will have a person now and then who won't like it. You can't please every nose, but go with a neutral, strong throwing scent, one that most people will not complain about. You will learn as you go from hearing comments what generally works for you.

IMO - I would not have any scent going, it will take away from smelling all the other scents, you are tring to sell.

In my retail store I have every thing I sell tightly sealed and customers still walk in and say "What scent is that?" of course I have candle nose and can't smell anything. I tell them it's not just one scent, it's a mix of the 300+ scents.

You could use an electric potpourri pot outside near the entrance and descise it, so no one can tell where the scent is coming from. That way they will think all that scent is coming from inside. They also may think if they can smell the scent all the way out the door, they may say WOW I could smell your candles before I got to the door, then they will buy more.

Thanks guys! I hadn't thought of the scent interferring with other scents (duh). I think I'll put some small tarts in the plug in warmers in the bathrooms, and maybe put a tart warmer by the front door as suggested. I really appreciate all the suggestions! Keep 'em coming :)

Your selling location will probably make a difference whether you should have a scent going or not. If it's at a craft show, etc. where people are walking by, then you need something to get their attention since they will be looking at other booths. It is the best form of advertisement possible. When I do this, customers will smell my scents far away and come looking for the source. I almost always sell more of the scent I'm burning than all other scents on my table. I don't really look at it as taking away from my other scents, because people naturally tend to buy more of what they know they will like. I just make sure I have a good supply of the one I'm burning. I know, without a doubt, that I sell much more this way. I have tried it with & without burning scents, and there is a great difference in sales. That's why it's so important to be careful with the fragrance you use.

If you have a store front, then the customers you most likely sell to are going into your store anyway (unless they do smell it on the street going by).

I have a wholesale account who sells them in a store and her sales are better when she burns tarts (except when she lets it sit there long after the scent is gone....I can't seem to get it through her head that an unscented tart going is "bad" advertisement, and is much worse than no advertisement at all). I've been very tempted to take the warmer away from her for this reason.

Tarts seem to be stronger than candles and last longer (and I don't have to worry about flames). Since it will be at my house (Open House), I think the tart warmer is the way to go. And no worries, I won't leave an unscented tart going, LOL.

I'm sure you've thought of this without my imput, but be sure you place the warmer where children (and some adults LOL) can't reach it easily or you might have someone spill the hot wax on themselves and also make a mess for you to clean up. You want them to be able to see it for confirmation on how strong and good "smellin" your tarts are so they will buy quicker, but keep it out of reach as much as possible, especially from the kids.