FTAO DONITA! What do you think??

Bruce you are so right. I have "hidden" a lot of scrap wax in my sand candles. I don't need them be an exact color so I just do what I can. I use a medium textured sand and make sure it is dry before you pour in the wax. The damp sand will stop the wax from penetrating.

Sharly....my Weck canners only go to 220. I have made sand candles for years following directions in books and I do heat my wax on my electric stove burner and do not leave it. If I have to walk away....I turn it off and it stays very hot so it doesn't take long to bring it back to temp. When you are frying foods, you bring oil up to very very very hot temps to fry.....well over 300. You just have to more careful with wax but I have never had a problem and have been making them for years. But again, be very careful and do not leave you pot alone. I also keep a fire extinguisher near me ...just in case. I have never had to use it. The only time I got really scared was when I was using a gas stove and set a pitcher on it for just a second....not in a waterbath....and the flames came up from the bottom and caught some wax on fire that was on the sides of the pitcher. I dumped salt on it and it was out......that was over 10 years ago and I learned a lesson from that one.

Donita Louise

Rrrrrrright so, I need to stand the melt pot directly on the gas burner *faint* not sure i like the sound of that but I'll give it a go and keep my wits about me!! And the sand has to be fairly dry......got it :highfive:

Another thing, the ones I have made already seem to have developed light coloured dots and marks similar to fingernails under the wax surface, what could cause this? Should I add any stearin to the wax in the future?

Anjie,x.

Anjie.....I wouldn't do it on a gas burner. Buy a little electric single burner and use that. The gas flame is an open flame and could "jump" into the pot with a little dripped wax and the whole pitcher would catch on fire. Please be careful. I have several little electric burners I use for many applications. BE CAREFUL.........Donita Louise

OH MY GOD!!!

I'm sorry, but I had to try :embarasse I got my wax up to 200F in the water bath then removed the pour pot and dried the outside thoroughly with tissue before standing it on the tiniest flame on my gas hob. I stood holding the pot with an oven glove on LOL and watched the thermometer without blinking until my eyes started watering! I only had the nerve to let it get to 270F then poured it onto the sand........WOW! what a difference!! The wax actually sizzled when it hit the sand and I could see that it actually soaked in a bit (YAYYYY) so that will make the 'sand crust' on the outside?? Yes??

Thanks Donita and Bruce! You're both stars! :highfive: :awww:

Anjie,x.

I myself have never had a problem with heating wax on a gas stove. Its faster and to me easier to watch over since it heats faster you don't get distracted with other things. Either way you decide to heat the wax you have to watch over it all the time. I have heated wax to well over 300F before but sticking around 300F is best for sand candles for me.

Cooking oil and grease can catch fire just like wax can, watch out for smoke and vapor (like the wavy lines you see raising up off the highway on a hot summer day). Wax has to turn into a vapor to catch fire.... you just cant throw a match in it and have it blow up like gasoline until it gets close to its flash point. To turn into a vapor it has to get closer to 400F but each wax is different so that's my general range that I don't get close to. Not many things require wax being over 300F. My largest danger is trying to carry the 300F wax down the steps to the basement to get ready to pour. If that stuff got on your skin it would burn like heck.

Just be safe and watch the wax temp... make sure your thermometer is registering correct temps also. I would love to live on a nice beach I would get a propane turkey cooker fill it with wax and pour them right on the beach!

Have fun,

Bruce

Shhhhhhhhhhh don't tell anyone but i always use direct heat on a gas stove to heat my wax.:tiptoe:

I was using a double boiler but hey how much gas it took to melt the wax.. so now I just go with direct heat. As Bruce said the wax melts faster so you don't need much time staring at your thermometer without blinking.

I have ALWAYS the thermometer in the pot and never leave the kitchen while melting. If I have to I turn off the heat and remove the pot from the stove in a safe place. I have three curious cats that want to learn to make candles so they are always with me.

Be really careful and you'll be fine.

Shhhhhhhhhhh

Bruce.......can we meet at the beach and be hippies and make sand candles and listen to cool tunes? I love to cook food at the beach too. What whould you like?

Sabrina....don't worry.....I won't tell anyone.....there isn't anyone here readiing our posts.....EXCEPT THE ENTIRE WORLD.:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Donita Louise

.....and I forgot Anjie....see what a difference the hot wax makes. It actually penetrates the sand. I do another type of candle.....swirls of color in star candles and I heat to 265 for those. Wiping off the pitcher is the way to be safe. Donita Louise

Yes Donita...big difference! Wasn't expecting that.

I've just checked on the one I poured earlier and its covered in white spots again!!!! All around the edge. I can deal with white spot in fish but..in candles - i'm lost *LOL*. What would have caused this??

Anjie,x.

Sabrina....don't worry.....I won't tell anyone.....there isn't anyone here readiing our posts.....EXCEPT THE ENTIRE WORLD.:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Donita Louise

:laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: I wont tell anyone either...I Promise!

I wanna go to the beach! All we have are lakes around here and I much prefer the Ocean.

Brucxe those sand candles look awesome.

All of you are making me want to bring out my bucket of sand and have some fun! We are supposed to have snow tomorrow...maybe I will...Oh wait I cant I have to paint my kitchen...darn it!

Well you have fun and keep posting the pics!

Bruce....I like vybar too. It does make a great ripple. I also put a second color on top that is darker and move it around with my heat gun to give it a more realistic look of shades of the ocean. It is fun to keep changing it until I get the look I like. Without heat guns I would be history. Donita Louise

ps......

I also like Paul Mitchel Fast Dry for hair.....without that my hair would be history....(ps....I used to work in a salon and I did skin care, but the owner told me she couldn't do hair without PM fast dry and that was years ago.) Tools of the trade (smile)

1. WOOOOOO Bruce, that looks fantatsic! How on earth do you do that with the 5 different candles? How do you get the sand in the middle to stay?? My daughter saw your pic and jumped up and down shouting 'Tweenie clock'!!! :awww: bless!!

2. Where did the Paul Mitchell discussion come from LOL you lost me about there :D

Anjie,x.

Anjie, i think you did a really good job on that tidepool candle.

You have inspired me to have a go. I only live five minutes from the beach so i think i might go down and get some sand ( can i do that just take sand?)

But i will have to find some nice shells, we only get ugly ones washed up on the northeast english coast.

Where did you get your shells from anjie?

Hi Victoria.

Some of my shells I bought on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Bag-of-Polished-Shells-Seashells-Shell_W0QQitemZ250103536697QQihZ015QQcategoryZ4838QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem ) take a look at her other stuff for sale, she has loads of very pretty shells) for the rest I drive my kids 20 minutes to my nearest beach and let them find me some LOL.

I am not sure if you are 'allowed' to take sand from a beach but I must admit I took a small bag home with me today - the sand i used before was too fine I think so I grabbed some courser stuff.

If you want some of the more common shells I can send you some, my kids did a good job today LOL. PM me if you would like some.

Anjie,x.

Anjie, glad you had good luck but the safety cop in me is coming out again. Do you have an electric griddle or skillet? It would be sooo much safer to set your pour pot on either one than on a gas burner. With kids in the house it is so easy to get distracted. Pros like Bruce and Donita can get away with direct heat. They understand wax and everything that can happen. It us amateurs that get into trouble.

A word of advise on the shells your kids collected. When I started using shells I had collected I did an Internet search and learned they should be boiled for 30 minutes before using. Boiling kills of any microscopic critters that may have found a home in the shells. I generally soak mine in chlorine water for a day then boil them. Then I lay them out to air dry before using.

Bruce, I remember when you posted you sand containers before. I still love them. Just a really neat idea.