Flower Pot Votives - What Happened?

Hi everyone, I bought some of these small flower pot votives and poured some of them the other day. First time I have done containers. I used straight paraffin, stearic and FO (5.5%). Every one of them seemed to mottle and leak on top - as per one of left of pic. :( As I had about 120g left in the pot I decided to add a pinch of vybar (universal additive) and the result is the pot on the right - exactly how I wanted them to turn out. The cold throw is also much better on the one with the Vybar, the other ones I can hardly smell - whats up with that? Was it the Vybar that prevented the mottling on this other pot, any advice or thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

post-3166-139458423776_thumb.jpg

post-3166-139458423781_thumb.jpg

Yes the vybar does prevent mottling. I'm curious about your results on these. I've been thinking of doing straight paraffin containers. Please let me know your burn results if you don't mind and if they pull away from the container.

Mexitan : It is scented Rustic Rose from RE/AH.

Candle Man : This is straight paraffin wax, which I realise is not the best thing for a container, but thought I would give it a try as it is not much bigger in size than a regular votive.

Mexitan : It is scented Rustic Rose from RE/AH.

Candle Man : This is straight paraffin wax, which I realise is not the best thing for a container, but thought I would give it a try as it is not much bigger in size than a regular votive.

That wax will work, but you will get a better throw with container wax.

That wax will work, but you will get a better throw with container wax.

would you still need the vybar to increase scent throw on paraffin container wax? Would mottling be reduced if you used container instead of pillar?

I'm just interested to know as I use soy but may venture into paraffin one day. I started out a few years ago with paraffin pillars but have never really used paraffin container on its own - i only use it in a para-soy blend.

Yes the vybar prevents mottling, also stearic does but you will need more.

Vybar is available for pillar waxes and container waxes, it helps holding the scent. Straight paraffin with no additives can hold just an amount of FO and tipically is around 3% but I think it could be even less.

So I have now different recipes.

For tarts and smooth pillars (I don't do votives) I use paraffin + 0.5% Vybar. No mottling, very smooth look and great throw.

For rustic I use paraffin and 6% stearic. The mottle doesn't show (sometimes it does..) because of the low temps.

HTH

I had that problem until I started heating my glass before pouring. The instructions didn't state that it was needed but I discovered that heating my containers made wax look better. If I don't heat prior to pouring I get that frosted look. I was also using paraffin wax. If you are going to burn them in the same container a container wax would be better suited for that purpose.