Salt vs Sugar Scrubs

EmpressC

Salt will sting if you have any nicks or cuts (like if you use it on your legs after shaving). But I sell both, and both sell equally well. Sugar, unless you use larger grains, like demarra, will be a gentler scrub as well, because the sugar granules are smaller than most sea salts, even the fine. Try out both, and see what you like, and a few testers.

I've never made/used a salt scrub, I've always done sugar scrubs. But maybe I should consider adding one since I've been asked for one. I'd do my regular emulisified bubblin scrub and just add salt. Yes it's cheaper than sugar :grin2:

Sugar scrubs, IME, have a longer shelf life. Salt scrubs sometimes turn funky in odor and/or consistency after a while, whereas I haven't had those problems with sugar scrubs. I've also heard some people say salt did funny things to their eo's.

Edited to add specifics: I once did a very large swap of scrubs. All were made using the same basic recipe, except some were made with salt and others with sugar. Even after one year, the sugar scrubs were still fine. But the salt scrubs had developed an "off" odor or became really thick and gluey/greasy in texture. JME