? Re: Ball Candle

Mexitan

These are my first ever ball candle and pillar. The ball candle is mango papaya, and the pillar is creme brulee with cafe au latte. I have a question: I see everyone's ball candles on here, and they are so smooth and pretty, can't tell where the mold seam was. Is it the mold I'm using (From Lonestar), or do I need to do something else to it? Thanks!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w109/rnmom1118/DSC00430.jpg

After seeing your pic, I would say it's either the technique you are using with your wax, or your wax itself is why you can see where the seam was so clearly. Looks like that area, where the seam is, cooled a bit faster than the rest of the candle.

Is it a saturn type of mold? I'll bet that's the deal of it.

HTH...

http://www.lonestarcandlesupply.com/molds.html

This is the ball mold I used (scroll down on the page). I don't know what they're called. I did scrape the seam with a sharp knife to remove the excess. If it did cool faster than the rest of the candle...how would I prevent it from doing that?

Thanks Tangerine...creme brulee is my fav also. Most candles I make for me and DH are either creme brulee or hot fudge brownie!

Thanks Kalamazoo.......I pm'd ya back. I did zap the mold with the heat gun (I love playing with that thing) before pouring. Makes the wax crystal so much better. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions. I love this forum. Everyone is so helpful!

Sandra:yay:

I have that same mold but have not poured it in palm yet, although we have another ribbed ball and other two-piece molds we have poured in palm. I find that palm powders easily when trimming, unless ya do it when the candle is real warm, then polish the line. Heat gunning afterwards diminishes the line a little, too. Of course, it looks much worse on a dark candle than on a lighter colored one... I gotta try heatgunning the mold to see if it makes a difference - I hate mold lines - reminds me of panty lines! :grin2:

lol...love the panty line remark! I tried messing with the another ball candle while it was still warm, put my finger thru it and made a huge mess! I emailed the danish people yesterday, I may try their molds. they claim they leave less of a seam. Thanks for you comment Sharyl. I just love this wax. It's so beautiful. I'm amazed every time I pour a candle that I could make something that looks so pretty. Wish I could take some of the credit, but it's all the wax.

Very pretty. I love the look of palm wax although I've never gotten around to playing with any. I need to though...I bet a few of my accounts would love them.

No help on the ball mold... I strictly make round rustics. :D

How about a silicone mold? Where you pour into the mold would be the bottom of the candle and could be an inch or so wide to create a flat bottom. Then when you pour a candle the candle could just pop out of the one inch hole... or how ever large the bottom hole would have to be to pop out the candle with out cracking the silicone.

Bruce

Bruce, do you have a pic of what you are talking about? I've not tried silicone at all. Di, you need to try the pillars. They are very easy and fun!

:D

They will make a mold for you. Janet aka creative gems makes silicone molds of all kinds. Ask her about the idea of a ball mold made from silicone and see what she thinks. Shes a member here.

Bruce

It's very easy to get the line off palm wax candles. I have smoothed the edges for tea light holes with tulle or probably panty hose would work. After doing this the line part might be a bit whitish but I have some from Christmas ones that I made and it is all the same color now. Make sure you brush off as much of the white as you can and run your hand around it too. The heat from your hands seems to help too.

A wax piece using a silicone mold just doesn't have the same awesome designs on the candle as the metal molds. I don't know about plastic molds though.

Janet