Thermometer issue....need your help & ideas

Okay, so because I'm still new I'm only using small amounts of wax to make small projects for testing purposes. The largest amount of wax I'm melting at a time is 1lb. I use the double broiler method.

Since I'm using a small amount of wax, I can't just clip my thermometer on the side of the pot because it won't reach the melted wax. I'm having to stand there and hold the thermometer down in there, which makes stirring difficult....not to mention, I end up with an unwanted facial. :)

I know there's an easier way, or you guys would all be bald from pulling your hair out in frustration.

So, how do you do it when you only have a small amount of wax to melt?

You should spend $20.00 and get a Presto Pot from WalMart - you will wonder how you ever did double boiler method after that. Other than that, you will probably just have to deal with holding the thermometer. That's what I had to do when I first started out.

I've said this before (remember Wick'n'wax?? ROFL!) if your thermometer has a metal band around it with the clip on, your thermometer will probably slide down further through the metal band, so it can go further down into the pot! :D

If its not one with a metal band around it then, yeah, get a presto pot instead LOL.

Anjie,x.

I've said this before (remember Wick'n'wax?? ROFL!) if your thermometer has a metal band around it with the clip on, your thermometer will probably slide down further through the metal band, so it can go further down into the pot! :D

If its not one with a metal band around it then, yeah, get a presto pot instead LOL.

Anjie,x.

Yeah, but if she's using a pour pot, w/only one lb of wax in it, that thermometer will not reach. Too tall.

I can get my thermometer to reach into the wax by tipping the pour pot balancing the handle on the edge of the double boiler. But it takes a little longer to melt so I am getting a presto pot this week.

Set the thermometer gently in there. I've done this thousands of times. Even with a presto, I find that I still need to check temps in the presto and in the pouring pitcher.One more thing. You can get digital meat thermometers with a cord on them for about $20 at a number of retail stores. The digital ones are less likely to break.

I never said you didn't have to use a thermometer w/a presto, just that it makes it much easier to melt. Double boiler sucks - takes too long, especially if you want to do layers and such.

ets, and the presto is much shorter, so her thermometer will reach w/o her having to hold it

I will eventually get a presto....I just don't have oodles of money and am trying to use what money I have on wax, fo, etc.

I just figured someone had come up with some sort of method that worked. My hubby took some bread ties, twisted them all together and then tied it to the end of the thermometer....the other end got tied around the handle of the pour pot. It works somewhat, but I still end up having to hold the thermometer when I stir or I can't see the temp.

I was really frustrated with the double broiler at first...one hand to hold the thermometer and the other to hold the pot cuz it was bouncing all over the place....that left me with no hands to stir.....then, I read on a post that I could put a metal cookie cutter in the pan and then set the pour pot on that to stabilize....what a lifesaver that was. So, for now, I don't mind the double broiler method....just a little frustrated with the thermometer.

Glass candy thermometer. Either one attached to a metal backing, or if not... (For the short term...) Since the bottom tip shouldn't touch the pan, affix it to a heat safe (to your heating temp.) cooking utelsil with some rubber bands. Of course, standard office supply bands deteriorate with air, heat, and sunlight... so this is a short term solution.

I've just bought two big pouring pots from a carboot, for 25p each :) but my thermometer (even though it moves anjie ;) still can't believe I was that dumb :embarasse won't reach if I'm only doing 1lb. I'm just doing as normal and then holding the thermometer in for a min afterwards.

I've also got a double boiler (porringer) I use.

Believe me, if I could afford or get a presto pot in the UK, I'd jump at the chance :)

My husband just made my presto pot yesterday! I have wax melting in it, but I am making sure my marks are accurate in my pots before I use it.

I scratched them with a nail and now I'm checking for accuracy. Wish I would have bought the pots that were already marked.

I leave the thermometer in the pot, where is the problem?:confused:

Sure the bottom of the pan is hotter than the wax, but I can see at what temp my wax is ABOUT, I turn eat off then I lift thermometer a bit, stir, wait a minute and read the temp, if it's too far from the temp I need I simply drop it again in the pot and check later

What you will save to buy wax won't equal the time, frustration and fun of making candles to buying the Presto pot. Your wax can be ready in a quarter of the time with a presto than with the double boiler method. And the candy thermometer clips wonderfully on the side of a presto pot.

Double boiler vs Presto pot = No contest!

IMO, the 4 purchases you should make for equipment is: Presto Pot, good scale, thermomenter and heat gun. HTH :)

Here's an idea.... get a string, tie it around the top of the thermometer. Lower the thermometer into the wax, then tie the other end to a cupboard handle, clothespin to the exhaust hood, etc. Your thermometer will just be in the wax, not touching the bottom. HTH

Yes Sir!!!! Didn't realize there was a message limit...so sorry.

LOL, that wasn't directed at you. I just have to grin sometimes seeing how much message board noise (MBN) can be generated by a simple question, and how few people read the question thoughtfully enough to give the most helpful response.

Problem - my mixing pot is too tall. Solution - there's a short version of the pot for making individual testers.

Suddenly everyone is on a mission to get you to buy a Presto. Not a bad idea, but irrelevant to the question. You don't need one to melt less than a pound of wax and you still won't know what temperature it is once you pour it in the pot! :)

ForHisGlory gets the relevance trophy today and wilsonswix gets the humor award.