"Luxury" Candles ----Do they sell?

Hi All!

I recently was presented with the opportunity to rent a space at our local mall. It is quite large, approx 2400 sq/ft. I make my own line of candles, but I want to incorporate other "luxury" candle brands. I only say luxury because that is how they are marketed. I plan on carrying all of the usual suspects, Votivo, Voluspa, Paddywax, Slatkin, Trapp, DL&CO. The prices average around $20 per candle. My question is, do you think it is a viable concept for a retail store? I live in a somewhat small town, with a huge tourist population in the summer. The retail space is about 50 feet down from a bath and body works. Please share your thoughts!

Craig

You said the space is in a mall. Have you walked around and looked at the other stores to see what they are offering and what the price range is? Also, have you checked with the companies you mentioned to see what their minimum purchase amounts are? I can't remember the name of the candle company but several years ago one of the local owners here told me that when she got permission to sell that brand they would only allow their candles to be sold within so many miles of another business that was also selling their candles. It could work either way. First, if those candles aren't common in your location then you might be offering something different that customers would be interested in. If they are pretty common then you will have to compete with the prices offered at locations near your space. Good luck with your new venture!

That's what I was wondering. All a so-called "luxury" candle is is something in fancier packaging that hopefully doesn't burn or smell better than the candles made by you.

I would think in a tourist area, tourists would prefer buying something made by a local artisan rather than some high-dollar thing they can get pretty much anywhere. All luxury candles are good for is dimwits who have more money than they have sense and like to brag about their purchases.

Promote what you do and what you know instead of promoting something that is mass produced.

jmho

Whoa--I have no problem selling another companies candle next to mine. I make country homemade style candles, the manufacturer's I intend to carry offer something completely different. Yes their packaging is beautiful, but the quality is also there. If I offer my candles and some of the other major brands, it gives customers a variety of prices, styles, scents, and options. Wouldn't that be better than offering just mine?

You've said in both of your posts that you "plan" to do this so it seems like your mind is already made up. I wouldn't do it, but that's just me. If I want my candles mixed in with name brands, I'll seek wholesale accounts that carry other brands rather than have the stress of my own store. To bring in other brands makes you just another gift type shop rather than something unique that can't be found Anywhere USA.

As is always the case, you won't know if it will work until you try it.

Where I live there are lot of just candle stores offering those brands you named and are very successful. Who knows - a customer going to your store wanting to buy a Trapp candle sees your brand and maybe buys yours instead or even better they buy both. I say do what you is in your heart. The other companys have a following, they have been around and people like them.

Good luck in your venture.

That is a large store.. fixtures are expensive.. not to mention the inventory. I looked at some of my notes and I think the recomendation for stocking inventory is $50 per square foot. Average sales per sq ft is $100-$400 so you can see you have to have the inventory. Find out the minimums for these upscale candles, can be hundreds just to rep them and some need to be displayed in their own hutches, more money plus shipping. Lot of money to spend there when you can make them, sell at comparabe prices and make more in the end. Shipping on jars and wax about chokes me.. now pay shipping on the finished product and again.. lots of money going out the door you shoul not have to spend as a candle maker. I am not sure a cande shop of mixed brands would stand alone. I mean at any given craft show many people walk by with no interest in candles, a retail store will be the same thing. There has to be other reasons to get people into the store besides just candles or you will miss a large segment of your tourists. A gift shop with several brands of candes.. maybe.

Do the research, and do the math. Write a business plan and see how long it is going to take to actually make a profit. Plan on 3 years to really show a profit. And, after all that.. make your decision. Good luck!

I have a wholesale account that sells Votive, Archipelago, etc...

The owner had ordered a few cases of my jars but they don't seem to sell compared to the "big name" ones, even though the owner herself burns MY candles at her home. I wish she would tell her customers this so they would start to buy mine, lol.

My pillars move well, but the jars don't. If you want to sell YOUR product, I personally would suggest NOT offering another brand. Have confidence in your product and sell it.

Then again, if you want a luxury candle, I can wholesale you mine. :D

That could be a great opportunity once you check your local market.

The only thing that would scare me is the amount of space. That is a HUGE store. It seems to me that most people start off small and then increase with demand and available funds to reinvest in your business. As stated by another you have to invest a HUGE amount of money for fixtures and products, let alone everything else... that is a large space to fill.

I wish you the best!

Jennifer

Thank you everyone for the input! My wife and I were talking and going over some of everyone's comments, and we've decided to expand our offerings. Going over our purchasing plan, we had $4,560.50 just in Voluspa alone! The space is very large and will require tens of thousands in inventory, however we are now planning on having "cabin" style signs (the old rustic wooden ones) some B&B items from Votivo and Malie Kauai, and some other fun things (quirky greeting cards etc). We took a trip to the Minneapolis Gift Mart, which is a wholesale market for retail stores, and we got some great ideas. I think the best way to go is focusing on one main category, and adding items that will bring customers who may not be interested in a candle in to the store, and who knows, maybe they'll "smell around" and find something they like! After many hours of deliberating, I think we're going to go for it. I'll feel horrible if I don't do it and wonder "What if?" I guess I'd rather fail than not trying. But in any event, thank you all for the comments, and I do greatly value your input!

Craig

All luxury candles are good for is dimwits who have more money than they have sense and like to brag about their purchases.

jmho

This is just about the most asinine statement I have ever heard....but Lord knows we have heard it before from her. In the first place, it is just false....obviously spoken by someone who knows as much about luxury candles as they know about people. (Unless, of course we are talking about Flea Markets or garage sales.)...one dimensional thinking at it's best.

Craig, not only is there is money to be made from selling brand recognized products in your store, there are other benefits as well. It is certainly a good idea to start with the end in mind and create the image you would like to project. It sounds to me like you are on the right track. WHY NOT enlist the "help" of companies that have spent fortunes building that brand and image? There are many successful stores that carry several brands and types of candles....GREAT stores.The brands you have mentioned are in a league different from the BBW IMO. When you look at stores like Amen Wardy, Gumps, Forty-Five-Ten...and many many more, I think they are doing some things very well...and one of them is offering consumers a CHOICE.

If you were going to invest your hard earned money in a tire store, would you want to carry Good Year and Michelin, or "Rhonda's Rubber Rounds" and "Micky's Git Mor Miles"?

Godiva or Sally Sues?

Green Giant or Remarkable?

Dell or Armandos?

AND, before anyone gets in a tizzy....my OPINION has nothing to do with BASHING Flea Markets,Rhonda or Micky.I make candles and have a company just like many of you, and am just as proud of what I create. I just have a different take on having my candles displayed next to Diptyque, Slatkin&Co. and DL&CO than some of you do. I think it is a great idea....and I think those companies have done an excellent job.

Short answer....Yes, they sell.

Thank you, Dallas. I expected you would pop in with an opinion on something you've neither burned, smelled, nor seen. Not to mention a lovely comment on someone you've neither met.

1. I don't do garage sales. Ever. To buy or sell. They just aren't my cup of tea. That's not to say I would "bash" someone who likes them.

2. Nice indoor flea markets are outstanding places to pick up wholesale accounts (and many happy repeat customers). Those of us who don't like to pack up every weekend for shows or don't want the stress and overhead of shop ownership already knew that.

sweetscents, it is entirely your choice. If you do as planned, I hope you'll report back. I'm always interested in how others market their products. You never know when you can pick up new marketing pointers, even when you least expect it. And I hope your handcrafted candles outsell the others by a mile. I personally would consider a hand made product far more luxurious than something possibly imported or made in a sweat shop somewhere.

Much good luck to you!

Don't underestimate the massive amount of money you will need to stock the shop. I sell a lot of beads and yarn, and last year someone told me that this store about 50 kms away was getting in some beads, and "WOW", she said, "they've ordered $2000 WORTH OF BEADS!!!!!" That is a medium sized box of beads, easily carried by one person with a bad back (me). $500 worth of some yarns are also easily carried by one person. I realize that candles are bigger and heavier than yarn and beads, but a $4000+ order is not very big.

If you're in a tourist area, consider getting in a good amount of local products. We have a lot of tourists also, and we've had good summers in spite of a downward trend in our area. We sell only local stuff (besides my yarn and beads), and people are happy to find us. There are SO MANY tourist-oriented places that sell only mass-produced garbage, and many people love taking home something that is actually made in the area.

Good luck!

Whoa--I have no problem selling another companies candle next to mine. I make country homemade style candles, the manufacturer's I intend to carry offer something completely different. Yes their packaging is beautiful, but the quality is also there. If I offer my candles and some of the other major brands, it gives customers a variety of prices, styles, scents, and options. Wouldn't that be better than offering just mine?

I think you're looking at this as a business venture, not a way to make a living off your own candle. I see nothing wrong with your plan to carry others along with the greeting cards, etc. It does give the customer choices and allows you to make a sale where you might have missed one. Not all customers are into country. I'm sure if you wanted to promote your candle only, you would have looked at a much smaller space or stuck with craft fairs, farmers markets, and explored wholesaling and consignments. Best of luck and successful wishes to you in your new business venture.

Thank you everyone for the input! My wife and I were talking and going over some of everyone's comments, and we've decided to expand our offerings. Going over our purchasing plan, we had $4,560.50 just in Voluspa alone! The space is very large and will require tens of thousands in inventory, however we are now planning on having "cabin" style signs (the old rustic wooden ones) some B&B items from Votivo and Malie Kauai, and some other fun things (quirky greeting cards etc). We took a trip to the Minneapolis Gift Mart, which is a wholesale market for retail stores, and we got some great ideas. I think the best way to go is focusing on one main category, and adding items that will bring customers who may not be interested in a candle in to the store, and who knows, maybe they'll "smell around" and find something they like! After many hours of deliberating, I think we're going to go for it. I'll feel horrible if I don't do it and wonder "What if?" I guess I'd rather fail than not trying. But in any event, thank you all for the comments, and I do greatly value your input!

Craig

Just a heads up on Votivo's B & B products (soaps, salts & lotions), just saw the entire line at a discount chain here in the northeast. The lotions smelled vile, really putrid. The soaps, maybe 3 oz (guessing) priced @ $2.99 were sealed tight, couldn't get a whiff.

They should have stuck to just candles, over wicked and burned horribly but at least they smelled good.......at first. :rolleyes2

Much success to you!

If you were going to invest your hard earned money in a tire store, would you want to carry Good Year and Michelin, or "Rhonda's Rubber Rounds" and "Micky's Git Mor Miles"?

Godiva or Sally Sues?

Green Giant or Remarkable?

Dell or Armandos?

I find that comment insulting. We're not talking about a tire store here , we're talking about candles. Personally my candles can hold their own with the big the guys and I would sell them alone. Your probably one of those folks who thinks Rolex makes an exceptional time piece lol.

I misunderstood your intent. I thought the store was to promote your product, but now I see you want a tourist-type gift shop. Every time I travel I go to those little shops, not the name brand stores you can find in any mall, and look for unique things, things representing the area I visited. Good luck in your venture. When I was in Ft. Lauderdale last spring I found the cutest gift store that had more of the brand name candles you described, but what I found myself drawn to were the pillars, etc., made by the locals, and they were gorgeous. Good luck!

We have had an in-line candle store in a mall for two years. PLEASE!!!! let us help you with advice. We are profitable, but we could fill many books with what we did right and wrong two years ago. Please pm us and we will be happy to share. We do not carry anyone else's candles other than tapers which we don't make.

Dallas..we don't make our butters with vaseline, so naturally we have better places we want our candles and with what we want them sold next to ;) We don't re-use dollar store tins and list them on our sites as something huge, so we could sell our line with votivo :) It's really easy for someone to give someone else advise that has only sold at flea markets.

Sweetscents..My hat's off to ya! I hope you do well!

Dallas..we don't make our butters with vaseline, so naturally we have better places we want our candles and with what we want them sold next to ;) We don't re-use dollar store tins and list them on our sites as something huge, so we could sell our line with votivo :) It's really easy for someone to give someone else advise that has only sold at flea markets.

Sweetscents..My hat's off to ya! I hope you do well!

Ha ha ha! :grin2:

We have had an in-line candle store in a mall for two years. PLEASE!!!! let us help you with advice. We are profitable, but we could fill many books with what we did right and wrong two years ago. Please pm us and we will be happy to share. We do not carry anyone else's candles other than tapers which we don't make.

That's very cool of you to offer your help. I agree with not selling other brands of candles next to yours or in the same store. In the end, that would be defeating the whole purpose.

In his first post he mentioned a rather "large" space and that he only makes one handmade country style candle. I doubt very seriously that he could fill a large store and flourish with one style of candle. He also stated that he has enough confidence in his candle to offer the "others" right next to his. He's obviously not looking to open a store for his own candle. He's on a business venture that would include his candle. I don't know how many times I've read posts from people who are so sure of their product that they would stand it up against the big guys. Well, this guy is doing exactly that...he's so confident that he's standing his up right with the big guys. If that's not confidence in a product, I don't know what is.

Just My Take...

If The flow Your going is to add "BIG" Company Candles to your store..Go for it..

I Can't see that It would be a horrible thing..Yet..In my head..If i am a tourist..And I am On Vacation..I want to see stuff in stores That I am Not going to find ANYWHERE else!! LOL!! I Hate going to Most stores now..It is the Same old thing!! :confused: You can actually shop for prices...If they Can get that Product where they live..then to me it is not worth Carrying..Not to say it is not a good product..

Just My Thoughts!

Good Luck!! Can't wait to hear back!!