"Luxury" Candles ----Do they sell?

I think Sweetscents is wise to bring in additional name brand candle lines. Unless they are already well known in their area and have a substantial following it would be extremely difficult for most new store owners to expect to survive on an unknown product line, such as homemade candles.

Be careful on overdoing the candles though, because a survey on a particular retailer's forum shows that candle sales at stores througout the country are down 40% over the past year.

Hi All!

I recently was presented with the opportunity to rent a space at our local mall. It is quite large, approx 2400 sq/ft. I make my own line of candles, but I want to incorporate other "luxury" candle brands. I only say luxury because that is how they are marketed. I plan on carrying all of the usual suspects, Votivo, Voluspa, Paddywax, Slatkin, Trapp, DL&CO. The prices average around $20 per candle. My question is, do you think it is a viable concept for a retail store? I live in a somewhat small town, with a huge tourist population in the summer. The retail space is about 50 feet down from a bath and body works. Please share your thoughts!

Craig

An assortment of all different candles is your best bet.

Consumers love choices. Name brands draw attention, and 20.00 for a candle is honestly not unreasonable. Candles selling for a decent dollar only help the industry. Good luck in your endeavors and keep us posted.

Thanks everyone again for your input! Besides the companies I named, have any of you tried other "luxury" brands, or have and reccomendations?

Craig

Hi Craig:

I haven't tried any of the luxury brands in fact, I never heard about Votivo until last Tuesday. I participate in a farmers market and a woman came to my booth and asked me if I carried them. I told her I didn't and then proceeded to show her my candles. Did the usual speal, took the lids off, let her smell, told her about the burn time, etc. She ended up buying 3 of my jelly jar candles. She told me she loved the votivo but also liked mine now. I guess my point is that since you're the store owner, people will know the name brands and luxury brands, but will also look and smell yours. The advantage being is that you're right their to boast about your product and how well it performs. Am I making sense? Sometimes it's hard to do with typed words.

Pacifica is another candle you may want to look into. I don't know how it compares to the ones you mentioned in your OP (I had never heard of any of them until I found this site). They have a website--I've been tempted to try a couple of them out, but I'm spending all my $$ on supplies!

Pacifica is another candle you may want to look into. I don't know how it compares to the ones you mentioned in your OP (I had never heard of any of them until I found this site). They have a website--I've been tempted to try a couple of them out, but I'm spending all my $$ on supplies!

Save your money.

They certainly are pretty, great cold throw, hot is practically nonexistent!

Save your money.

They certainly are pretty, great cold throw, hot is practically nonexistent!

You're right. The cold throw on Pacifica candles is really, really great. I was very excited to burn the one I had. But there was almost no hot throw. Weird.:confused:

I have experienced Pacifica's line, in fact, they sent me a huge box with testers of all of their fragrances. Some were great, and some were really disappointing. I've talked to others that have burned Pacifica candles, and their results were really spotty. It seems there is great inconsistency with their batches. I'd hate for a customer to spend $18+ on a candle and want to return because they couldn't smell it. I burned Pacifica's Hawaiian Ruby Guava, and the first 2-3 times I burned it, nothing. About the 4th time it filled the room, but half of it was already gone! I'd have to say my favorite is Voluspa's line, their fragrances and quality are awesome!

Craig

I have looked into Diptyque, and yes, they are quite expensive. I haven't burned one of their candles, but if I get requests for them or people asking about them, I may consider adding them to my offering. Also---we just signed our intent to lease and gave our deposit today, so we're one step closer!

Craig