WICK-which?

I have a 6.5cm diameter pillar mould and LX12 or LX21 to choose from, any recommendations? I can't do 2 the same as only one mould. LX12 is upto 6cm, LX21 is upto 8cm apparently.

Does it matter if the mould is slightly over for the 6cm (LX12) or should you always go upto the bigger wick?

I would try the LX 12 first. It may be on the small side, or not. The LX 21 should be too big. Although this will depend on additives and FO load. I have seen posts on the board that vary greatly with the size needed in the LX's. Some use a Lx-28 for a 3" (8cm) and some use a LX-21 for the same size.

Janette

I use LX 28 for a 3inch diameter in lighter fragrances and a LX30 for heavier like vanillas and strong coffees. I have absolutely everything from 12 up and trust me, if it is straight paraffin start looking at the 28 and wick up or down. I know what the manufacturer says, but I have personally found you have to wick up extremely with these.

BTW, I use them exclusively for my pillars.

HTH

Katinka

boo hoo, I looked on the site, ebay bloke, but very good I must say :)

I plumpted for the LX8, LX12 and LX21, I've also got 513218 zinc and 2 soy ones.

oh and the bog standard hobbycraft (for medium pillar) wicks!

I'm going to get some more off him, so should I go for lx24 and up?

Thats what I would do. I only do plain paraffin with 10% stearic for my pillars in a 3 inch diameter and I almost exclusively use 28 and 30. You can use the 12 for votives if you are stuck with it - they actually burn very nicely for those.

I think there may be some confusion about the size of your candle. My conversion of 6.5 cm puts it at approx. 2.5" diameter. I think a LX-28 is going to be too big. Especially if you aren't loading up the stearic. The stearic has a tendency to clog the wick when it is up around 10%, causing a need for a larger wick. From my experience with a 3" pillar with vybar rather than stearic, the LX-21 did the job, and the LX-28 in the same recipe was way too big...huge flame and smokey. I agree that the LX-12 is likely too small but the LX-21 may also be too big depending on your recipe. What additives are you using?

Janette

My apologies - so used to working in inches on here I have stopped working in centimeters a long time ago. The LX 28 and 30 would definitely to big for 6 cm. My gut says for my wax, 22 or 24, but in your place I would try the 21. The 12 would definitely be too small, it is tiny.

HTH

Katinka

Yep,it is the same person, they have an ebay store too, but they have much more stock and lower prices at their actual store. Their also very nice to deal with and send thigns very quickly. No idea why link didn't work, it works when i try it, very strange. Anyway if you do a uk search you should find it ok. Their dye is great too!

Hi there, I do not know if you have seen this chart for LX wicks, but I find it quite useful when deciding what I might start off with. It gives the melt pool and height of the flame in inches. I once used an LX18 in a 3" pillar and it tunnelled terribly, now I use LX24 - any bigger and the flame just gets too big and smokes. As far as wicking a 2" pillar, I now wick with 15 or 18 Flat Braid and they burn very well. Hope the chart helps. :)

http://www.wicksunlimited.com/wedo_LX_wicks.php