maybe an off topic... how to start selling?

cybersix

Sorry if I write in the wrong place.. today my question is: how do you started selling candles?

I was thinking to give some of mine to my hairdresser for example.. she could let them on a shelf.. maybe someone could buy one.. but, should I let her a brochure, something like that.. with photos of my job? Any suggestions?

I don't know how to try selling candles!

Kisses form Milan!;)

I completely agree with Ducky. You wouldn't believe how many candles actually went out on me after they burned ½ way down, some changed colors, others went wonky on the scents.

Until you are 100% sure you have the perfect candle, I wouldn't even go out and try giving them away. First impressions make a big impact on people and you want them to have a great impression of your work the first time.

Have fun testing - that is the tedious, but rewarding part!

Until you are 100% sure you have the perfect candle, I wouldn't even go out and try giving them away. First impressions make a big impact on people and you want them to have a great impression of your work the first time.

Most definitely. Patience is the hard part. The more you dink with your wax and research, test, burn... the more you realize what qualities are desirable in a candle. Low smoke, consumption of wax, scent throw... these are all things to look at and try to improve on. When you have a decent candle, then give some to friends and have them try. Or sign up for one of the swaps here on the board so you can get some feedback on your candle. Many of us swap simply for that reason.

They burn ok, so I thought I can start with them... Am I going too fast?

Kisses

By "burning OK" do you mean they are burning just OK? Or great? Have you tested them all the way down to the bottom? No blow-outs, no drowned wicks, they hug nicely and have a good melt pool? If they are just burning OK and you think you can improve than I would say yes, you are going too fast - slow down and stick with testing for now. :)

I know it is very tempting when you are starting out, have made a few candles and want to start getting yourself out there. But patience really does pay off in the end. You want to be confident that the candles you put out there are fantastic. Not just mediocre. You can do it, dear. Keep reading the forums here - you'll see a lot of us bonking our heads against the wall trying to get forumlas right. We're all in the same boat. Even those who have been doing it for years. With every new scent comes more testing.

ok sara you are right forgive me but this is not my language, I might not explain well what I think.

I completely agree with you but my very little pillars, plain pillars are definitely ok, i did not sell them but all of my friends use them!

The fact is they are not so gorgeous... but I thought to start with them, mostly too see if candles are interesting to people.. Italy is very a different place, we do not have the same mentality and same ... abitudini??? ops I need a vocabulary!!!

Can't think of any additional advice for you at the moment, but was wondering how popular candles are in Italy? What kind of attitude and mentality do people have regarding them? Here in US it used to be more of a luxury item but nowadays it's considered a basic part of home decor, which is probably why candle stores and candle makers are popping up all over the place.