Free Samples

At what point should you stop giving out free sample? I have an ad out there that is bringing in mucho requests for samples (when they sign up for my newsletter) so far i am keeping up but what if i can't. This has only started since Friday but i have had to send out 30 samples so far and 30 more that i have yet to get to because i am at my "real" job. It is costing me .63 to send them. I am only sending one mini melt in a very small envelope. I am of course hoping that i will gain customers but how long should i wait to see results?

When running specials like this, I usually have a "while supplies last" kind of disclaimer, so I can end it early if it becomes overwhelming. However, I've found that most times, for me at least, that samples do result in sales. I do my best to make sure a sample is always included in every order, and more times than not, it pulls a sale back in.

Also, keep track of all your expenses that you're putting into these samples, as they are tax deductible. Shipping, supplies, packaging, track it and report it.

I hope you gets tons and tons of customers from this (and I hope all the CT members don't try to get sneaky and request the samples from you just to get freebies, lol). Good luck and have fun!

When running specials like this, I usually have a "while supplies last" kind of disclaimer, so I can end it early if it becomes overwhelming. However, I've found that most times, for me at least, that samples do result in sales. I do my best to make sure a sample is always included in every order, and more times than not, it pulls a sale back in.

Also, keep track of all your expenses that you're putting into these samples, as they are tax deductible. Shipping, supplies, packaging, track it and report it.

I hope you gets tons and tons of customers from this (and I hope all the CT members don't try to get sneaky and request the samples from you just to get freebies, lol). Good luck and have fun!

While supplies last....that is a good idea! I am keeping the reciepts for the postage. Do i keep track of how much it cost to make them or how much they sell for?

Thanks for all the good info.

The only downside is if someone finds out they will go and post it on all the freebie sites and you'll get tons of requests. That happened to me with my beads and I had to quit offering them, I do offer samples, but they have to pay shipping which is under a buck.

The only downside is if someone finds out they will go and post it on all the freebie sites and you'll get tons of requests. That happened to me with my beads and I had to quit offering them, I do offer samples, but they have to pay shipping which is under a buck.

OMG i think that is what happened to me. I use google analytics and under the referral source are websites that i have never heard of. Are most people willing to pay for the shipping?

I do just as Lindsay mentioned, "while supplies last". It gives me full control over the situation and as she stated I can stop it if things get too out of hand.

I always include a sample in every order, which has generated repeat business for me. I keep a track of what I sent to my customers as a sample, therefore I can send something different the next time. Most of the time, my customer will order whatever the sample was.

In addition, I had post card style flyers so to speak printed with VistaPrint that has a coupon code on the back. Of course these were printed during the "Free" offers that they have. I fill my sample pots, put in the small jewelry size zip lock bags with a label on the bag that tells what it is, and how to contact if one should want to place an order. I keep a stash of these with me at all times, as well as my husband, who is in and out of office buildings all day. This has really been a big hit for us. HTH

I do just as Lindsay mentioned, "while supplies last". It gives me full control over the situation and as she stated I can stop it if things get too out of hand.

I always include a sample in every order, which has generated repeat business for me. I keep a track of what I sent to my customers as a sample, therefore I can send something different the next time. Most of the time, my customer will order whatever the sample was.

In addition, I had post card style flyers so to speak printed with VistaPrint that has a coupon code on the back. Of course these were printed during the "Free" offers that they have. I fill my sample pots, put in the small jewelry size zip lock bags with a label on the bag that tells what it is, and how to contact if one should want to place an order. I keep a stash of these with me at all times, as well as my husband, who is in and out of office buildings all day. This has really been a big hit for us. HTH

I just added a while supplies last to my site. Yeah i use the postcards from vista print too. They look so professional. I am including that and a business card with the sample. I have not been keeping track though...i will start that now.

I too would include sample with every purchase but i dont' have anyone purchasing right now.:undecided hence the free samples.

OMG i think that is what happened to me. I use google analytics and under the referral source are websites that i have never heard of. Are most people willing to pay for the shipping?

I haven't had any complaints, I even welcome SASE with a couple stamps that seems to work better than people paying online for me at least.