A new rustic attempt

cybersix

Hi these are two more "rustic".. I don't know why they come out so glossy!! This time I used a paraffin/stearin blend I bought in a store. I do not have any technical data abuot this wax.

I use wax crayons (you know i'm the poor cinderella of this board) then I poured each layer at about 145-150.

Why are they so glossy?? Is it wax crayon?? The blend???

By the way, here they are, tell me what do you think about this couple!!!

Kisses

post-1267-139458380841_thumb.jpg

So maybe I should try metal mold? What's the difference between metal an aluminum??

Thank you very much, I like these "fake" rustics!!

One question: I use a mold holder to make tilted layer (I attach photo), when you use metal molds how do yo achieve the same thing? :shocked2:

So plastci gives this glossy finish?

Thank you very much!!

post-1267-139458380843_thumb.jpg

Yes, you would normally use a metal or aluminum mold. The rapid cooling of the wax against a metallic mold produces more the effect you're looking for.

The metal molds are made of thin sheet metal and have a base. They produce a seam line on the candle. If you can get an aluminum mold that might be better and easier to work with. It's a solid metal tube.

You don't need a fancy mold holder. Just a pot full of beans! :)

I just adore everything you make including these. I think that the shiny finish with the rustic texture looks brilliant and the colours you chose are beautiful. Poor cousin or not, IMO your work is first rate. :highfive:

thank you very much, your words made my heart smile!!!:yay:

Very pretty, and I like your glossy finish. That does come from using the acrylic molds, by the way.

I started searching for candle supplies to be found in Italy, and they sure are sparse. Anyway, found a couple places that sell wax and thought I'd post the urls in case they'll have what you need.

http://www.bebeparfume.com/matprime_e.htm (located in Italy and they sell wax. No prices are listed though.

http://www.fullmoons-cauldron.co.uk/ Delivers to Italy. Their wax and dye prices aren't bad, but their molds are expensive. Might be expensive to ship wax from the UK to Italy, huh?

Sorry I can't seem to find any more. :(

Those are lovely candles.

However, perhaps you've already been told about the potential burning problems using crayons? It must be very frustrating not being able to buy quality ingredients for a reasonable price.

Yes I've already been told. Now I'm going to burn one or more candles I made with crayons and see what happens. If thngs go bad I'll sell them only as decorative candles..

Oh yes it's frustrating, finally I found something I like to do, and I risk to give up because of cost of supplies.. I live alone I have to mantain the house and two beautiful cats.. :lipsrseal

I see in bittercreek site for example that 10 lbs of wax are circa $10.

With about $10 here in italy I can get 2/2,5 lbs of wax.. and not so good!!!

ehehehehehe

Very pretty, and I like your glossy finish. That does come from using the acrylic molds, by the way.

I started searching for candle supplies to be found in Italy, and they sure are sparse. Anyway, found a couple places that sell wax and thought I'd post the urls in case they'll have what you need.

http://www.bebeparfume.com/matprime_e.htm (located in Italy and they sell wax. No prices are listed though.

http://www.fullmoons-cauldron.co.uk/ Delivers to Italy. Their wax and dye prices aren't bad, but their molds are expensive. Might be expensive to ship wax from the UK to Italy, huh?

Sorry I can't seem to find any more. :(

Amberlei you are very very kind!!

I already saw fullmoons, they request:

£27.03 up to 10 kilosthen 36p per kilo thereafter3/4 days

27 gbp are about 40€ and about $50.

To me is a bit expensive, considering the 10 kilos (22 lbs) limit.

Candlewhat fopr the same cost ships up to 30 kilos, but I've been told thei are not so fast..

Now I'll take a look at the other site.

I am very happy to find day by day so very special people like you, thanks for your help!!!!:yay:

Hey so you speak italian!!!!

LOL - I grew up in South Africa, and my neighbours were from Italy, and they taught me plently italian, problem is, its all naughty words!!! :shocked2:

Actually, they were my best friends, and have since returned to Italy - a small village called Fallo. Their parents used to own an Italian restaurant, and let me tell everyone - you have not tasted pizza until you've had a real italian, clay oven baked pizza :drool:

LOL - I grew up in South Africa, and my neighbours were from Italy, and they taught me plently italian, problem is, its all naughty words!!! :shocked2:

Actually, they were my best friends, and have since returned to Italy - a small village called Fallo. Their parents used to own an Italian restaurant, and let me tell everyone - you have not tasted pizza until you've had a real italian, clay oven baked pizza :drool:

Oh yes, I agree! Real pizza is only here in Italy.

We do pizza very well but we do not have candle supplies eheheheh!!!!

That's why I make my own pizza.....I have a stone in my oven and I get a good crisp crust....or I use to when I had more time to bake.....now it seems I just cook wax. Your candles look very very beautiful considering what you have to go through......I find it difficult to imagine that you don't like them. I know they aren't the rustic look you are going for but they are pretty anyway. The acrylic molds do make a smooth surface. Can you buy from the UK. I would think that shipping a lightweight mold or two would't be too much. Also color chips don't weight much and aren't expensive....oh...what do I know....I don't live in Europe.....but I always run across sites in England. I have books that show how to make cardboard molds....then you just peel them off. You get very rustic candles that way. Donita

I'm.. commossa how do you say it in english.. affected?

Donita I don't know what to do and say.. today has been a bad day, I arrived at this time (here it's 9 pm) hangry, sad, I had no appetite.. and then I found so much kindness from people I don't even know, thank you, you gave me one of the little smiles I had today.

Sorry I don't now english very well, but I send you a big kiss!

Thanks!!