newbie question

hello everyone, i'm new to candle making and this message board (although i have been reading it for a while now.) and i have a question... I want to only keep unscented, undyed wax in my presto pot, and mix all fo's and dyes in when i transfer it to a pour pitcher. Does this way work out for anyone? I think i'm having some issues with my FO not mixing in well, it seems like it's sticking to the pitcher (which is glass). My FO's are from cajun candle, and i'm pouring wax into the pitcher at about 190. Anyone have and suggestions on what maybe i'm doing wrong or a better way to do this? :grin2: these smilies are so cute, just thought i'd put one in here

Welcome to Candletech! Check the temperature of the wax in your pour pot before you add fragrance oils. I usually add my fo at 175 degrees and stir well for a couple of minutes to be sure it is mixed real good. Some oils are heavier and require more mixing than others. Hope this helps!

:D

I make candles as a hobby so I don't do large batches. I pour my melted wax from the presto pot into large juice cans (you can add enough melted wax to make 3 pint size jars), then I mix in the oil and let it cool until ready to pour. I have a can for every scent I use so that I don't have to worry about mixing scents or cleaning out the pouring vessel each time. I use soy, never add color, melt to 170, stir in FO at that temp and cool to around 100-125 before pouring. Hope this helps.

You could also just measure out the wax you need, color and scent it right in the presto. Then pour it into a pour pot and into the containers or whatever.

Use a thermometer for your temp, the dial on the prestos are not accurate. Prestos wipe clean with a paper towel very easily.

i just tried again, and this time i mixed everything in the presto. it worked out so much better! Oh yeah, what i'm doing is chunk pillars, honeysuckly FO. Being my first couple of candles, they are so pretty to me! I don't have a digital camera or i'd post a pic. thanks for everyone's help :grin2:

I keep unscented, undyed wax in my presto, when I transfer the wax, I preheat my pouring picture and measuring glass. :cheesy2:

This is what I do also...the wax doesn't go into shock that way going onto a cold pour pot

I keep unscented, undyed wax in my presto, when I transfer the wax, I preheat my pouring picture and measuring glass. :cheesy2:

This is what I do also...the wax doesn't go into shock that way going onto a cold pour pot

I transfer my wax into metal pouring pitchers that I purchased from Peak. I usually only work with 1 - 3 pounds at a time so I just use a laddle to transfer the wax. I keep my presto pot at 200 degrees. By the time I transfer my wax, add additives, dyes and fo; it is usually about 175 degrees. Perfect for pouring. I have been doing this for about 6 or 7 months this way and I have not had any problems. I have 5 presto pots set up with the 5 different waxes that I use. I do not add anything to the presto's, just straight wax. That way I am always ready to start a new project or even 3 or 4 different projects a night. I make a lot of projects to order and frequently need to pour several fragrances in the same night. I would not like to have to clean my presto out between each project.

Tammy