Yet another Newbie

DebbiR

I have been reading the posts and replies for several weeks now. I'm pretty new at candlemaking, only been doing it for about 6 or 7 months. I only do this as a hobby for gifts. Expensive gifts at that. Hahaha Anyway, is there a favorite "true" one-pour container wax ya'll might use? The one-pour container wax I ordered is that IG 4??? (can't remember - still getting them confused without looking at it)) but requires a re-pour. Is soy wax a good alternative to pre-blend paraffin?

How can I make different colors using only one presto pot? I use a melting pot in my Presto and fragrance and color in it... so then I'm stuck waiting to finish a batch - and not move on to something else. Anyway - I really enjoy the board and the questions and responses. Thanks... Debbi

Welcome Debbi,

I can't help you with the container wax, but I can give you a tip for using your presto pot. Most of us use our presto pot for melting the wax, but transfer the melted wax to our pouring pots for dyeing and fragrance, that way you can make a whole bunch of different colors and fragrances from only one melt. Make sense??

Welcome to the board Debbi. I like J-50 (Astor wax) for containers. It's a preblend and a true one pour that colors well and has an awsome cold/hot throw. I've never even thought of using soy because I've read too much about the wax being difficult to get a decent throw with alot of FO's. I think you should find a supplier that is closest to you and see what they offer in the way of container waxes~~start with a kit and go from there. Good luck and have fun ;)

Hello and welcome. I can't really help with the wax ?. I can say that I like Nature's Garden Joy wax. Here is a link http://www.naturesgardencandles.com/candlemaking-soap-supplies/item/ckit-7

Most will tell you that the best way to find a wax that you like is to experiment and find what works best for you and your application.

I use my presto to melt wax and then transfer it to the pouring pots for color and FO mixing. Some use a ladel to get the wax from the presto to the pot others have presto pots that have been modified with a pouring spigot.

Happy candle making. There is a ton of info on this board. You can search the archive section for even more info!

Have fun!

Oh I wanted to add: you can pour the wax out of your pot and start something else. I make pillars and with pillar wax I pour it into dixie cups or paper bowls and save it for the repours that way. It is also a good I dea to get additional pour pots! I just got 4 more!

Thanks so much!!! I guess I've always used the one pour pot - because I thought the dye and FO had to be done with continuous heat. Hubby has been saving all tin cans he uses from his vegetable at lunch for me and I use them for extra wax and then re-heat them. The extra wax makes great chunk candles and I have had great success with them!

A big HOWDY from another Alabama gal. Welcome to the board. I have use J50 and J223 for containers. You have to experiment and see what kind of wax works best for you. Everyone on here have their on likes and dislikes.

And I must warn you, this wonderful board is as addicting as candle making. :yay:

First off, welcome to the board.... secondly, as far as container wax's go, I also us the JOY wax from NG... its a wunnerful wax, and has a nice creamy look to it. Depending on what type of container you use, you will have to play with it to get the pour point. By that I mean just how far up the container you need to pour without causing sink holes.... but its , for the most part, a single pour.. As for pouring more than one color and scent, cheapest way is to keep all of your metal coffee cans... then all you have to do is melt in your Presto, then pour into the cans to add FO and color.. that way you can always keep wax melting.... Also, just a tip, the Presto pots will hold close to 8lb of wax, but to be safe about it, you should keep it around 5-7... if you need bigger amounts, you can use a big roaster.... the one I have melts 22lbs.... S L O W L Y.....lol... but it gets the job done. Anyway, hope this helps ya in some way.... and WELCOME!!!:yay:

Welcome to the CT family. I use J223 for containers and it has great cold and hot throw. Also the dreaded wet spots. Do you have a local supplier? If so try their container wax. Freight is a killer cost wise. You can set you pour pot and cans in a large pan of hot water (double boiler method) to maintain the wax temp while you work with the dye and FO. I use the bottom of an old pressure cooker for that.