Newbie Here...have a question

Good Morning to all. I have been pouring myself over this site and have found a ton of tips, tricks and general information. Thank you.

I recently purchased a silicone candle mold. It does not require a wick, it is a grubby prim mold that holds a tea-light candle or flameless tea light. I thought it would be fairly easy to use, but alas....

I cannot seem to get the knack of avoiding the "sink hole". I have tried poking holes and re-pouring, but I just wind up with a total mess. Since I am not trying to affect the burning of the candle in any way (no wick required) is there some other trick that would work to avoid these sink holes in the bottom of the candle?

Thanks in advance for any helpful advice!

Hi Linda,

Welcome to Candletech!

I don't know the specific answer to your question, but it might be helpful if you tell us what wax you are using. Also, I'm not sure what you mean by sinkholes at the bottom of the candle, I'm more familiar with sinkholes at the top of the candle. Perhaps you can clarify?

If you are using a hurrican wax which I think you shoud be using very hard wax pour in a slow stream so that you don't get as many air bubbles and tap lightly on the side of the mold after you pour wax then, after 20 mins you may have to do a couple of more fills that is common with pillar style candle

Thank you all for the tips. To be honest I have no idea what the wax is I am using. :embarasse I bought it at AC Moore before I found this site...I had no idea there are so many types of waxes.

The sink hole is at the bottom of the candle because the mold is actuall upside down. (?) It does not require a wick. Once unmolded I turn the candle over.

Here is a link to the type of mold I am using: http://cgi.ebay.com/GRUBBY-6-TEA-LIGHT-PILLAR-Silicone-Mold-NEW_W0QQitemZ320090052417QQcategoryZ134768QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Thanks everyone for the replies and warm welcome!!

Hi It is just that the wax is shrinking and you need to do more pours tapping will help but you will probably still have to do a couple of extra pours That is very common with ANY pillar candle Corey makes some great molds and I'm sure if you write her she will tell ya

Hi It is just that the wax is shrinking and you need to do more pours tapping will help but you will probably still have to do a couple of extra pours That is very common with ANY pillar candle Corey makes some great molds and I'm sure if you write her she will tell ya

Thank you! Corey is wonderful. She did email me some instructions, but being the novice that I am I think I just need patience and practice.