What can't paraffin wax do?

Why do I need soy wax?

I have to order some more wax, although struggling to get the cash together at the moment, but I've just about run out lol.

I was going to try some soy too, but was wondering, just why I need soy? What can soy do that paraffin can't? or is it just a personal preference.

I'll be making lots of melts and votives soon and wondered if paraffin is ok for those.

my personal opinion is paraffin is more versatile than soy, you can so more with it, pillars, votives, melts, novelty.

Soy is good for container candles, and there is some out there made for Pillars but I havent seen it do as many cool things that paraffin does, like Rustics for example.

If you do a search there will be lots of info about the difference between soy and paraffin. Some say it will burn cleaner and is better for the environment and such. I personally cant see much of a difference, once you add fragrance and a wick I think they both can make a mess. LOL

I'm sure others have different opinions.

HTH!

Kim

Soy wax is an effective cure for not enough hassles in your life.

You can clean your equipment with soap and water.

Since it's become somewhat of a fad, you can market to people who are specifically interested in buying soy candles.

Or maybe you're lucky enough not to have too many of those in the UK. No soybean farmers = no soybean propaganda.

IMHO If you are using parrafin right now I would stick with it. If you want to play with soy, order some. You will find it is quite a bit of work to work with. There is a market out there for it. I'll be sticking with my 4786 , I don't have time to play right now, some day I would like to check it out. And yes I think parrafin is a lot more versitile.

Wick I'd suggest you stick to PW for a while, master it & a few styles that you want to sell, if that's your aim, then move on & try soy.

It's a very different beast from PW & I think it needs rather more work to get things performing well.

Also as you are new to this addiction it could become even more confusing to be trying different types of wax at the same time.

Hope that doesn't sound condescending it's all meant with the best of intentions.

Given enough time ....& a budget to match.... you could end up producing great candles from both waxes.

Whatever you decide on I'm sure you'll be having as much fun as I am.

Sally.

Wick I'd suggest you stick to PW for a while, master it & a few styles that you want to sell, if that's your aim, then move on & try soy.

It's a very different beast from PW & I think it needs rather more work to get things performing well.

Also as you are new to this addiction it could become even more confusing to be trying different types of wax at the same time.

Hope that doesn't sound condescending it's all meant with the best of intentions.

Given enough time ....& a budget to match.... you could end up producing great candles from both waxes.

Whatever you decide on I'm sure you'll be having as much fun as I am.

Sally.

thanks sally, no condescendance taken :D (is that even a word lol)

thats why I come on here, for advice etc and to look in awe at others wonderful creations

Wick'nWax,

I love working with the straight paraffin. I love putting in the additives and testing them. It's just way fun.

I noticed that my food scents are doing better heating at a higher temperature and adding the dye and fragrance then pouring.

I use more Vybar because I use 1.5 oz of scent. It's funny how it works for some scents and not others. Not every scent, as you've read, uses the same amount of anything. Test, test, test! lol

I'm testing with one pound of wax and pouring in 8 oz. jars. I have nine rooms in my house so I have plenty of places to set candles and shut the doors. I have three going right now. lol! I can test one and give one away to be tested.

I lit my Pumpkin Crunch Cake and you could smell it within a few minutes of burning. I walked across the house into the master bathroom and it took longer for my Wedding Day to put out a strong enough scent. I'm checking that using three other methods.

I love waking up in the morning with new ideas. I have loads of literature from the Internet and this Forum. I've used some of the sheets for testing I got off of here. Had already written the same information on notebook paper before I found the sheets, but they are more uniform and organized. I like that. I can file that in alphabetical scent order.

You should call as many suppliers as you can and see what they all say. They are great to talk with.

One supplier sounded like she needed to eat her Wheaties, so I made it short and sweet and called someone else. lol! Won't name them! lol!

Have a great day!

thanks sally' date=' no condescendance taken :D (is that even a word lol)

thats why I come on here, for advice etc and to look in awe at others wonderful creations[/quote']

Can you advise me as to where I can find some of the larger candle supply/wax companies in the UK? Thanks in advance.

Found this wonderful website. Some of the links are in French.

http://www.howtomakecandles.info/cm_article.asp?ID=WAXES0002

I will probably meticulously translate the information that interests me.

If you don't speak French but are still interested - here is a tool - if you have the time.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Have fun!

Wick'nWax - Do you speak French?

I already read this and found that by adding equal amounts of paraffin and vegtable oil like crisco would make a good single pour for contains. This is what i want to do.

wish me luck that i don't blow up

LOL! Go for it! :yay: You won't blow up. Crisco is soybean and cottonseed oil. The Cottonseed is what keeps it hard at room temperature.