Presto Pot or Wax Melter - Dilemna!!!

Hello peeps!

Looking for some sound advice here folks. I've been melting my wax using the double boiler method which for the time being has been OK as I've just been making testers. I'm getting ready to go into production within the next couple of months with just a very basic line to start with. Double boiler method sucks for doing larger quantities though. Sooooo, need large melting capabilities. My dilemna is do I go for a Presto Pot or a water jacket wax melter?

Pricewise I think there's not much difference. Thorne's in the UK sell a wax melter with tap for around £175 ($350). I've seen the Presto Pots from Copper Creek. They cost £25 ($50) plus about £30 ($60) postage. I then need a transformer to run the Presto Pot from 110V to 240V cost £80 ($160) plus any import duty. Price here I feel is irrelevant.

What is safer, less time consuming, practical, etc. There's loads of threads about presto pots but really I suppose I'm looking to find out who maybe uses both and just seeking good honest opinions.

Ruby

I have 3 presto pots from Copper Creek. 2 for container wax and the other for pillar wax. Each pot will hold 8 lbs. It melts quick and the temp is easy to control. I love my pots! hth

What is COOPER CREEK? Do they have a web site

I think it would depend on how many candles you make. I used to use Presto Pots for each of my types of wax. However, despite the quickness of the melting process, it still was not fast enough for my needs. I currently use two 70-80# melters and LOVE 'EM. The wax is always ready to go. And they hold a case at a time. You can adjust the thermostat for temps.

Good luck on your search.

How about trying an electric turkey fryer first? There are lots of threads about them (although I'm not at that point yet), but when I'm ready that's the direction I'm leaning. Try a search about them...

We don't have these here in the UK. Also from some of the threads I've read about them the heating element is in direct contact with the wax. Isn't this a bit dangerous?

Ruby

Ruby,

Someone is selling a presto pot in the classifieds for £21. Grab it quickly!

I have 4 pots with no spout and 1 pot with a spout - and the spout is a pain in the arse - I never use it, I just pour my wax into glass jugs that hold the dye and fragrance for that batch.

A transformer is £80 - you're right, but when you want to get another presto, you simply melt wax in the first one, unplug it, plug the second one in to melt whilst you start working with the first one.

Shipping is OK - I just bought yet another presto on the classifieds, as well as 200 clamshells and the shipping came to about £40. Your shipping would be about £25-30.

I won't look back. I love my prestos!

Nat

I know a lot of folks are hung up on the Presto pots, but if you look on E-bay you can find Daizey crock pots/deep fryers. They are larger, and the control unit is much better. Take out the crock liner, and it's a larger version of the Presto. I started out by stealing my wife's Daizey pot, and bought 1 more. Then I tried the Presto for a different type wax, and really don't like it.

If you can find one, the Daizey is better!!

Fredron

Hi I just switched from presto pots to turkey fryers. I two thought it was scary to put the wax right on top of the heating element.I did it and it was good. Its a great way to melt large amounts of wax. I still use my prest pots for smaller amounts. It really depends on how much wax you need to melt. Just dont be afraid of the turkey fryer :D