I think I did it backwards

crow

Newbie here! Hello. I think I have gone about candle making backwards. I spent all summer picking up what I thought would be unique containers. I bought a lot of tea cups, old jars, and different antique glass to pour candles in to sell. Then, I started the research to making candles and landed here. I didn't know there was so much involved, like testing waxes, wicks, FO, and dyes. Do you think it would be better for me to start out with standardized containers instead of all the various ones I have?

Only if you want them to burn proper without pulling your hair out ;)

If you're just making them for yourself, it wouldn't be too bad. If you're think longer term and selling, starting with one standard container would be much easier. Testing for just one new one takes long enough :shocked2:

I agree with Ducky.

Also if those items you picked-up came from yard sales they may not be safe to use for candles. They may have crackes or stress marks that you can not see but will cause problems when a candle is burned in them.

Also if you plan on selling, sticking with a standard candle containers will make you look more professional.

Yup - you did it backwards...but don't feel bad. Most of us started out with some bad ideas about how easy it is to make candles. But you're here and reading. That's a good forward step! Welcome to the board and our addiction! :wave:

we might be addicted to smilies, too. :rolleyes2

I agree with the other ladies. I would start out with a standard jar. As you progress and learn about wick, wax, FO, and all the other factors that go into a quality candle, then you could branch out and much more easily be able to wick the containers you spent all summer getting.

Welcome to the board!

Welcome! Don't worry about doing it backwards. We all make mistakes, even after we have done a lot of research. I agree with the others that you should start out with standard containers. Perhaps you can save the unique containers for later when you are more experienced. By then you will have gained the skill to assess whether or not they are suitable for candles.

Welcome! I did a lot of things backwards too when I first started out...like made pillars before I made votives...it all worked out though. What I would suggest, if you have never made a candle, get yourself a container starter kit. Peaks as one as well as other suppliers. I think it's the best way to get your feet wet. Good luck!

Also keep notes of everything you do from room temp, humidity, pour temps, cooling temps, types of supplies and where you bought them etc. The list goes on & on.

IMO it is best to start out with one style of candle Votive, container etc. Perfect it then move on to others. This way if you wanted to start selling you could with the tested & perfected ones. Then add others as you perfect them.

Ditto what everone else has said. And welcome to the CT family. In the yr. I've been trying to figure out candle making I have done more than my share of backwards.

Maybe we should start a post of what not to do.

1st on the list for me would be not to buy an E-Z Up Canopy knock off.

Welcome to the Addiction Boards!! Always great to see a new face!:P

I agree with everyone here. I've been making candles for roughly eight years now and I'm just now getting up the nerve to start making containers, I started big and worked small. Eh, go figure.

Your best bet is also to find a good supplier for candle containers. I've got a great supplier here in Kansas City that does not only candle supplies, but bee keeping supplies as well. I'm currently working on the 9oz. octagons, they're small and very easy to work with. Make sure when you buy the container that you ask to see if they are good for candles as well. There's a huge difference in the types of glass that's used for just general decor and candles. The glass has to hold up to the heat the flame generates.

Start small on the containers, when you nail it down, progress to something bigger. It's a lot easier and safer to go that route than anything else that you can do. And you've come to the right place, I've only been here a little over nine months and I've learned tons more than I would have had I not found it. We're always willing to help!!

Happy candling, good luck and Welcome again!!

CK

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome, and for your wonderful advise. I was afraid you all would say what you did. My thinking at the time was that all of the candle sellers seemed to be using the same containers. I wanted mine to be unique, like an antique store for candles. I'll put these other things up for awhile (or put them on ebay). I have already ordered wax, wicks, and dye from a local distributor. When I placed my order I saw some 10oz heart shaped containers on clearance. I bought a case (like 12) because I thought they were cute and I can't resist a clearance sale. I suppose I will start with these, maybe order some more.

You all are great! I love it here!

Just to give you a jump start with the heart containers

If they look like this, most people double or triple wick them

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=274&highlight=heart+container

When you wick DW or TW use a smaller wick than you would if you were to try to single wick.

There is a thread here some where, someone posted a diagram that they use to show the melt pool for each wick and placement of the wick. I can't find it right now but if I do I will post it for ya!