packaging pillars for store shelf... ideas?

Absyrtus

I'm looking for a packaging solution.

I need to be able to wrap my pillars up somehow so they can sit on a shelf and stay fresh for a couple months or so. I've found, via casual observation, that my candles (scented w/ EOs) loose their fragrance relatively rapidly compared to their counterparts.

I thought saran wrap.... which might be ok, if I do it artfully, but that could look tacky... any ideas?

Ok... so I'm stupid.

I put the candle in the appropriate bag... put a hair dryer on it, and presto, it's shrink wrapped... but what do I do about the end that's open? Do the two sites of the plastic get stuck to themselves, and you cut as close to the candle as possible?

How long will it keep a candle fresh? Indefinetly?

Thanks for putting up with me :rolleyes2

I use a roll of shrink wrap. Just cut the appropriate size for your candle. Wrap it around & tape it with the clear scotch tape. Then use heat gun or hair dryer to shrink the wrap. For the bottom I fold it like you would do a present, shrink it and tape it. For the top I do the same except I leave it longer. I shrink it but not all the way. Then I tie a ribbon around it & pull tight. I have had some on the shelves for several months and they still smell good!

It does seem convenient and even economical, but I really don't like the idea of coating my beautiful all natural candles in toxic PVC... Does any use the food safe POLYOLEFIN bags?

Does the PVC smell? Worse yet, does it impart smell to the candles? Does it suck the dye out as the previous entry commented on?

If you were to try shrinkwrap, I can't say enough good words about the shrinkwrap tubing I get in big rolls from

www.uline.com

We have a wall that is just full of different sized tubes from 4" up to 16" and they really come in handy for those projects & I think that is the stuff you would want to get.

Also, if you wanted to really take the plunge into packaging perfectly, you may also want to buy yourself a heat gun and impulse sealer. I know it sounds like a lot, but if you sell at least $100.00 worth of candles this year, the whole system could pay for itself. You would never regret buying these things if you are really serious about packaging.

You can get a heat gun from any hardware store for $20.00 and the impulse sealer you can get from

www.harborfreight.com

for about $20.00. You will be very happy you did this :)

There have been many discussions on the different types of plastics used. I don't remember the full name, but polyPRO(whatever) is the best to use. It wont suck the scent out of the candle like the others. Or so I've been told repeatedly. Maybe try doing a search in the archives on shrinkwrapping and/or packaging. Just a note.... I don't imagine saran wrap is very natural either :)