"Crafty" gift ideas for my dad?

starlessjade

I was hoping your guys might be able to help me out. My brother and I have always been involved in way too many arts and crafts, and my parents are very supportive of us and just go crazy over any gifts that we hand make for them. My problem is that while it's easy to come up with something for my mom, or for both my parents, it's hard to think of something to make for my dad. Every birthday, Father's Day, and Christmas I put a lot of thought into his gift, but it usually ends up being something store-bought and I think he's always just a teeny bit disappointed when he sees that I made something for my mom but not him. So... what could I make? Here is some background info.

My crafts:

-Polymer clay- my main craft, and I do some really nice millefiori work

-Origami

-Candlemaking (the newest addition, lol)

-Beading/wirework/jewelry

-I know there are more but my mind is blank right now, lol

My dad:

-Loves to cook, mostly Mexican and Asian. The weirder the dish, the better!

-Smokes cigars (I've already made a polymer clay cigar punch)

-Drinks good beer (even makes his own) and also wine, margaritas, and mojitos

-Loves anything Mexican- or beach-themed

-Loves his electric blue PT Cruiser

-Has an awesome and sometimes bizarre sense of humor

-Is turning 50 in June

Right now all I can think of is to make mojito and/or key lime pie (he loves that) scented candles. I don't know if that would be the best idea, because I can't really imagine my dad burning candles, but at least it would be something specifically for him since the fragrances were chosen with him in mind. Is that a good idea, or can anyone think of something better? Thanks! :D

For what it's worth, I think the candles are a great idea. :D

Or maybe a clay mural type of thing with your Dad reclining on a beach with cigar in one hand and a drink in the other? Or something done in wire to hang in the kitchen - "Dad's Tools"? Or, or or... lol I'm sure whatever you make him, he'll love it! :thumbsup:

Aahhh, dad craft gifts.... I struggle with the same thing.

I can't see my dad burning candles either. What I ended up doing was making wickless for him, and gave him several with an electric warmer. He loved it! He asked me to make more for him later. He didn't want to light candles, but was fine with just turning on and off a switch. :D

I gave my step dad a pen I made out of polymer clay. He LOVED it so much. I used Premo copper colored clay and somehow when you work with it, it looks like it has wood grain it in so the finished pen actually looks like a wooden pen and it is VERY easy to make. This is the book I got the instructions from http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Home-Decor-Polymer-Clay/dp/1581801394/ref=sr_1_45/103-0454667-8335002?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173457103&sr=8-45 but it is really pretty easy. Just take a ball of clay and shape into a cylinder and stick a knitting needle into it and start rolling until it lengthens out and just take a skewer and form the ridges on the pen. You want to use a small enough needle or skewer or the same size as the pen well that goes inside.

This is what it looked like.

penswap1.jpg

Beautiful pens! I cover pens with millefiori (I use pen kits from www.pennstateindustries.com and they turn out really nice, you should check them out!) but have never tried that technique. Several of my books include it, I just haven't got around to it. That does remind me though- I really need to make my dad some pens. I made a ton of them for a craft fair a few months ago but sort of forgot to make them for family and friends. Oops! :o That will definitely be at least part of his birthday or Father's Day gift.

I'll post a pic if I have a chance to try those pens this weekend- thanks for the idea! :grin2:

This is probably a dumb question but I have never worked with clays, polymer or otherwise, before, so...

Can you add FO to clays? Looking at these pens gave me an idea- my niece had a "smelly pen" that she loved.

My dad loves to burn candles, especially since I make them for him. Whenever his Birthday comes I send him a variety pack of his favorite scents. He just loves them.

Maybe make him some votives in his fav scents and do some millefiori around a glass votives holder? Since he likes mexican maybe you can do some chili peppers or something.

You say he loves the beach and has a great sense of humor. And he's turning 50. Why not make him feel like a kid again? Get some beach toys or just a beach bucket and put some ocean scented candles inside. You could decorate the beach bucket, too for fun.

Also, does he have the book by Tim Russert, called Wisdom of our FAthers, letters from daughters and sons? Just thought I'd mention it.

gmp, I just remembered- last year my mom was talking about actually making a beach on our back porch for him but never got around to it. Maybe we could do it this year and make/give him all sorts of beach-themed gifts. :laugh2:

You guys are giving me so many good ideas- thanks!

gmp, I just remembered- last year my mom was talking about actually making a beach on our back porch for him but never got around to it. Maybe we could do it this year and make/give him all sorts of beach-themed gifts. :laugh2:

You guys are giving me so many good ideas- thanks!

There you go...a day at the beach in his own backyard! Get some beach chairs, a couple of towels, beach toys, sand, sunscreen, fire up the grill....

The beach party thing sounds really cool! And when the day is over, give him this.... idea from the second poster....

Or maybe a clay mural type of thing with your Dad reclining on a beach with cigar in one hand and a drink in the other?

And then everytime he sees that figurine he'll remember that party.:D