White spots/areas inside 3 wick?

I made my first 3 wick, and it turned out gorgeous! But....about a week after it sitting on the counter, it started to develop these stange white areas throughout. I have noticed that some of my votives do the same, only sometimes. What causes this and how do I prevent it?

3wick.jpg

It looks like a type of mottling to me. What type of wax are you using? I found that using straight paraffin without adding stearic/vybar it does the same thing. HTH I think the affects are wonderful. Very different and distinct.

I read the posts from last year and everyone was wondering why it only happens to pillars......but...............I have seen it in 4627 in containers also! They look great and a few days later white stuff in there! Usually in the bottoms though, maybe they cooled to fast?

I made a pillar for my mom about 2 weeks ago and just to see what would happen, I stuck it in the freeze... it had the same effect and we all thought it was pretty cool... so I'm going to go with Indygirl's guess and say possibly it cooled too fast...

I am using 4625 Complete Pillar wax. I have made quite a few pillars, and never seen this before, but this was my first 3 wick. I have seen a couple of times in my votives, where I mix the wax usually 75% 4625 and 25% 4786.

I will do a search for fingernailing, thank you. I din't know what to call it, lol.

I showed it to my cousin last week when she came over, and she loved it, so she bought off me, lol. I told her to make sure she lets me know how it burns.

I just wanted to add this. I did poke relief holes about every half hour. The first pour was at about 175* and trhen each pour after was about 5 degrees hotter. I poked 3 relief holes around each wick hole.

I'm wondering too if it is from cooling too fast. All i did to cool it was let it sit on the counter. Maybe next time I will try putting a box over it.

Fingernailing sucks. Haven't had it happen but once or twice, and didn't know why, but when it does it isn't a pretty sight lol. And actually, the last case of wax I got was fingernailed throughout every slab! Had never seen that before, and wondered it it would effect my finished product, but it didn't!