Acrylic Molds

andy23

I like acrylic molds for several reasons. They seem to give a shinier smoother finish than do metal molds, they're available in oodles of shapes that you can't get metal molds in, and you can see exactly what you're doing while you're pouring. One major drawback is that they have a shorter life span than do metal molds and are warped by excessive fragrance and/or coloring. Also, you can't use high heats on them like you can with metal molds, so some techniques that require high heat from a heat gun can't be done with acrylic molds. Hope this helps you make your decision.

Well, thanks for trying TLC. I appreciate it. And thanks for the info Amberlei, it was helpful. In that case, would anyone know the differences between the alum and metal molds? It seems that The metal ones come in so many more shapes and varieties, but of course, the alums are seamless...

Thanks,

Andy

The alums hold up better in that they are not prone to rust and black gunk that can be left behind in tin. However, with proper care and cleaning the tins are good. Most of the molds will have a seam line to trim. Tin has much sharper edges than alum and generally needs to have a releasant whereas alum. does not seem to need it.

Personally, I think it's a matter of personal preference more than anything. I have aluminum, tins and an acrylic ball mold and I can speak from experience that no matter what you do to keep the acrylic clean, it still breaks down. I still use the ball, but only for myself and my best friend who just likes to burn candles no matter what they look like (fire bug if you ask me). I've only had the acrylic for roughly two years.

Some have excellent luck with tin (I do to a degree, just don't like to trim down the line), some with acrylic, some with aluminum. I like my aluminum's much better, very easy to clean and since I do a lot of marbled candles, I can't do that with the acrylic and even though I can do that with the tin, if you apply TOO much heat to it, the seal can break down.

Each has pros and cons, just a matter of experience.

We use acrylic for our "school" candles so we can see where we are placing the letters. I use plastic, aluminum and tin. I have been recently doing embeded photos in hurricanes and the tin is thinner so I can get the picture to stick quicker. I just have to place the seam in the back and hope for the best. Buff buff buff. Also, the tin are made as to let the candle slide out easier.....it is a little wider at the top whereas the aluminum are extruded and are completely square, round or hex.....they do last longer and I don't get rust. I have to spray WD 40 on the seam lines to keep rust out. It also is good to clean molds too. My large star molds are the worst....so when I am not using them.....I spray WD40 in them and let them rest on their sides. When I am sure that they are coated and dry (WD 40 displaces water) then I stand them up. Think it might be time to buy new molds.....sometimes the rust just won't go away. But I figure in the scheme of things, I make a lot of money from one mold, so occasionally I have to replace them, especially my plastic teardrops. The plastic has to be "stretched" so much to form that shape that is causes weakness in the mold. Hope this helps a little. Good luck. Donita