candlewealth candles

I knew that there was a post a while back about this company. Funny story. Today I was at a health and fitness show, and there was this big Candlewealth booth, with a local woman who I am guessing made the candles. She had someone else there with her and the first thing that she did was come up to me and ask me if I knew anything about soy candles. I played dumb and said "why-no". So she proceeded to tell me all about paraffin candles and how bad they were for you. She also showed me an example of a paraffin candle that had been burned and all the yucky soot and pollution that was stuck to the side of the jar. And then she told me how paraffin was collected-the whole bottom of the barrell thing.

Then she showed me a soy candle, but it wasn't lit, it had no wick. It was on a candle burner!! And she said-"see the difference, how clean this one is burning?, There are no soot marks!" I laughed and told her that was not a good example since it was not actually lit-hee hee. It was terrible. They had all of these candles in all sorts of jars, yucky pitted tops, they just looked bad. I was going to buy one to test at home, but the smallest one they had was a 3oz mug thing for $8. I couldn't bring myself to buy it. But I might go back tomorrow and get one just to show. Basically the whole marketing ploy was to bash paraffin. How lame!!!

Here's the thread!! I told you they would be coming to an area near you!!!heheheheh:p

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2942&highlight=candlewealth

They do LOVE to bash parrifin!!

I was given one of the little micorwave do it yourself soy candles...

Personally, I found the scent throw VERY light..

It colors nice, no frosting.

Tops do not come out smooth, even after burning!!

The sample candle I got too, was in a little one ounce jar, and pitted. That is how it was scent to me...

They are very high priced too, as you have found!!

Picture #1 is the gift candle I received

Picture #2 is the microwave candle I did.

post-630-139458380455_thumb.jpg

post-630-139458380457_thumb.jpg

I havent heard of this company around here yet but I'll be watching for them. I did however get to meet the Gold Canyon candle guy.....He came to my booth last weekend and asked if I made all my candles. Then he said "we are the other candle people."

Umm Ok...the "other" candle people.....uhh cool. so who is that?

then he tells me gold canyon and I just said oh. but then he actually seemed to be bashing that company cuz his wife was a distributor but now they have cut her out and people who sell go straight to the company or something like that, and left her stuck with a ton of stock so that is why they were selling at this show.

All I said was if she liked selling candles she should try to make them herself.

he pretty much left after that.

It was kind of a strange conversation over all.

well, it just really made me feel better about the ones that I make. Mine look and smell really good (to me) and at least I am doing it myself, not under the name of another company. These ones just looked sloppy, like they were rushed. I just don't like the idea of trying to sell something based on fear of another product. As far as I know, no one has ever died from paraffin, but to each his own, I guess. And oh my, were they expensive!! Selling the microwavable kits to people who have no idea what they are doing is really scary to me. This lady even tried to get my friend's 8 year old daughter to buy one, because "wouldn't it be cool to make your own candles?" Umm.. yea but scalding hot wax on the skin is not my idea of fun!!

Never heard of Golden Canyon candles. Just goes to show ya, being in control of your own craft is waaay better. You never know when they will "cut you out", and then you are left with a bunch of crap that won't sell!

• 6 months later...

Hi

I'm quite new to the forum, and also to candlemaking, so I'm really enjoying reading the forum and appreciate so much how helpful and supportive everyone is.

I just wanted to comment on the many threads about Candlewealth. I've signed up with Candlewealth and am having a good time making candles. My candles are getting better :) but I still am practicing and learning, they're nowhere near good enough to sell yet. Hopefully I'll get to that point. I'm finding a bit of frosting on the top, I think I'm still pouring a bit warm.

I haven't heard or seen any of the advertising or show booths you mention, so can't really say anything on that.

Firstly, there is nothing wrong with Multi Level Marketing as a distribution and marketing method for a company. Many companies use it very successfully - Tupperware, Mary Kay, and you could probably name a hundred more. Yes you do make money from your downline, but any good distributor will support and help their downline, as well as promote the company, so it's just one way the company recognizes your effort in that way. It is quite legal. I used to be in a fairly well known multi level company with dubious business practices and it did leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths re MLM, but it in itself isn't a bad thing, sometimes it's the people.

Secondly, there will be poxy candles sold by Candlewealth distributors, just as there will be poxy candles sold by independent candlemakers. There's just no way around people who do poor work, they're in every field. I take pride in my work (I also make beaded jewellery) and do strive to do a good job. When I do start to sell my Candlewealth candles, they will be good. And probably in no small part due to advice from you helpful people on this forum. Mind you, it does nobody's reputation any good if you get a dud as a sample from the company!!

Thirdly, from reading some Candlewealth literature I have here, they do promote a retail business also, so there is no heavy emphasis on recruiting. If you want to build a downline team, you can, but you certainly don't have to. Not everyone wants to do that.

Fourthly, I've done a bit of looking around online, and yes, the kits are pricey, but the rest of their stock isn't way out of the ball park as far as prices go. I'm happy to run with them at the moment because their wicks work with their wax work with their fragrance oils. That's not to say I don't need to do some testing, but I'm figuring half the battle is done.

However, and this is a biggie for me - I detest companies who promote their products by bagging other company's goods. When I was working as a veterinarian, I would not see any drug reps who promoted their products by pointing out the deficiencies in their opposition, and I certainly wouldn't stock their drugs. I saw the same thing when I was a manager with a well known scrapbooking company, they used to promote their products by saying that the opposition's products weren't photo safe.I didn't go there either! When I talk about Candlewealth, I talk about what's good about soy, and I never bag paraffin. A company or a product needs to stand on it's own merits, and not on any supposed issue with the competition.

And as far as making six figure incomes in 9 months, well, if you're going to believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Any sensible person would take that with a very large grain of salt. Doesn't matter what the company or opportunity is.

This is a long missive, and I'm really happy to hear any comments or feedback from you. Any business is only as good as it's people, and I guess I plan on being ethical, honest and doing as good a job as I can, whether I'm with Candlewealth or not.

Look forward to your replies.

Sco

I do use their soywax because when I first signed up they had a promotion.Anyway because of a screw up I got 30 pounds free. I am having a heck of a time getting this wax wicked right. I haven't however had a problem with smooth tops. It does frost quite a bit but a little paraffin mixed in with it solves that problem.

As for the wicking maybe I should try their wicks. I've never bought anything from them. I like being able to buy my stuff separately and found better wax.

I think what most of us have a the most problem with is a company that actively promotes that you can buy their kits and be ready to sell as soon as you make your first candle. They don't advocate any testing just jump right out there ans start selling. The few candlewealth people here are the exception to that companies business practice not the norm of it. I went and look at the main company's site it was all about buying the kits and selling right now with little or no time involved.

This kind of business practice on their part just hurts us all because they say you can make a candle and be ready to sell almost immediately.

They also know that their reps are not just going to make candles in the jars they provide. So any of the people that vary from the kit at all is going to making a bad candle but yet selling under the candlewealth name and what is worse these people will not even know they are doing any thing wrong.

I dread when they come here but I have no doubt they will be here soon. I also think this company will be gone in a few short years but the damage they do before they leave will have years of repercussions among our customer bases.

I found a list while searching that might not suppose to be disclosed unless you are a CW member. It is there price list and if you buy their supplies they are high priced. 4oz of FO on the low end for $8. WOW!!! thats $32/LB. On average I pay $17.00 or less for quality FO.

Those that are in the CW program that like making candles can find much better prices at other suppliers.

[quote name=Sco

And as far as making six figure incomes in 9 months' date=' well, if you're going to believe that, I've got a bridge I'd like to sell you. Any sensible person would take that with a very large grain of salt. Doesn't matter what the company or opportunity is.

Sco

Yes, but the fact that they would make such a claim in the 1st place is indicitive of a general lack of honesty.

I also saw the price list, and they are overpriced. Finished product pricing based on that cost will be harder to get thus it will be more difficult to make a profit.

And finally, candles are a possible fire hazard. Encouraging inexperienced candlemakers to sell their newborn, untested products to make money in less than 9 months is irresponsible, to understate.

I think that once you get going with your candlemaking, if you find that it is really something that you enjoy, and you end up getting serious about it, you'll want to design your own look, identity, and develop your own products, independently. Why do all that grunt work and spend all that creative energy just to put someone else's corporate name on it, especially if you can get better pricing anq quality supplies from other sources?

Just my 2 cents, no rudeness intended.