Powdered versus liquid milks in soap

EmpressC

I am very interested in knowing this as well. I haven't made any soap yet, but I just learned that I could use goats milk and my grandchildren just got 2 baby goats! The couple living next door to my son has a bunch of goats and he gave my grandchildren each a goat for their 4H project and all of his goats eat off of my sons land for free. Is goat milk expensive to buy? Maybe I can make a deal with this man who has all of his goats on my sons land? Is there a process the milk has to go through before using it? How long is the milk good for before it's no good to use? I was already excited to try to make soap for the first time, and now I really can't wait to hear how to use it and what I have to do with it! I hope this thread doesn't get buried!

When CPing you don't need a preservative no matter what sort of milk you use. May be different if you add after the cook in HP - don't know. Cannot tell you about MP.

Thanx CB. The reason I asked the question is because I was reading about preservatives, and it stated:

"If you are formulating something that contains water, milk, hydrosols or other aqueous liquids, you will have to preserve the product or use it within 3-4 days refrigerated."

However, perhaps that was referring to products like lotions, because the site also says:

"Bar soaps typically do not require an antimicrobial but stay fresher when an antioxidant is used."

This was taken from http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/library/preservatives.asp

I'll go back and re-read to be sure I understand what they were referring to. I was wanting to use real goat's milk in my MP soap but this article got me to thinking that maybe I should only use the powdered version. So that's what led to my confusion. :P Thanx.

Is goat milk expensive to buy? Maybe I can make a deal with this man who has all of his goats on my sons land? Is there a process the milk has to go through before using it? How long is the milk good for before it's no good to use? I

What I do with my fresh goat's milk when I get it is pour it into ice cube trays and freeze it. Then I put the frozen cubes in baggies and throw them in the freezer till I'm ready to use them. It's much easier to weigh it all out when I'm ready to make my CP soaps.

Empress that statement is talking about lotions, creams etc. The standard is to use the goat's milk at no more than 10% of your recipe as it is hard to preserve and it actually should be used within 6 months IMHO. You should also heat your fresh goat's milk to 170 and hold it there for 20 mintues, which basically pasturizes it, for your lotion.

Thank you so much ChrisR! I am going to go talk to him today, the man with the goats. He raises them & sells them. I have no clue if he ever milks them and I also don't know if he would let ME milk them. It's 6am right now and I want to run over there so bad and ask him! *lol* But I'll give it a couple of more hours. That is such a great idea, to freeze them like that! You guys are going to have me so hooked on this whole soap making thing. I am literally leaving to go shopping pretty soon to buy stuff I need to make soap. I have never made any before, and I am really excited!

I am very interested in knowing this as well. I haven't made any soap yet, but I just learned that I could use goats milk and my grandchildren just got 2 baby goats! The couple living next door to my son has a bunch of goats and he gave my grandchildren each a goat for their 4H project and all of his goats eat off of my sons land for free. Is goat milk expensive to buy? Maybe I can make a deal with this man who has all of his goats on my sons land? Is there a process the milk has to go through before using it? How long is the milk good for before it's no good to use? I was already excited to try to make soap for the first time, and now I really can't wait to hear how to use it and what I have to do with it! I hope this thread doesn't get buried!

My kids have goats and sheep for their 4H projects also. Both Market and Breeding. :)

Anyway, if you read the Soapmakers Companion, it has a lot of good info on using milk and the differences between cow's milk and goat's milk and such. It does say in there to pasturize raw fresh milk (which is what I use) but from reading on several forums, I have come to the conclusion that it really is not necessary. However, I still do it, because I also have to strain it and clean it before using it,(it literally comes straight from the goat to my kitchen) so I may as well go the extra step and heat it to 155 for a minute or two. :)

Hi Jcandleattic!

That is sooo good to hear that it's something I'll be able to do! I have to drive past this mans house to go shopping, so I'll be stopping by to talk to him. Ok, how about some really stupid questions...do they have to be a certain age to milk? Does it matter if they are Market or Breeding? You have no idea how excited I am right now about this! I have my shopping list ready to go for everything I'll need. Just waiting for the sun to come out a little to melt off the ice from the roads.

Hi Jcandleattic!

That is sooo good to hear that it's something I'll be able to do! I have to drive past this mans house to go shopping, so I'll be stopping by to talk to him. Ok, how about some really stupid questions...do they have to be a certain age to milk? Does it matter if they are Market or Breeding? You have no idea how excited I am right now about this! I have my shopping list ready to go for everything I'll need. Just waiting for the sun to come out a little to melt off the ice from the roads.

Well, dairy goats are easiest to milk. They are usually Alpines or the like. Boer goats you can milk, yes (any goat that has kidded can be milked as long as they still have their sack and are still producing) but Boers are more Market animals (bred for their meat) than breeding goats.

Do you know what kind of goats this man has on your sons land?

I don't know a lot about all the different kinds of goats there are. I mainly deal with Boer's, Alpines, LeMancha's. :)

PS-Thanks for the compliments about my daughter. Like I said that was 3 years ago, but if she can do it anybody can. :)

Lol- reminds me of when I was nine or ten... I milked a neighbors goats for $2 a goat- but the milking wasn't the hard part! Oh no.

It was the rounding them up to get them in the holding pen thingamajig doohickey. Well... that and keeping this old pervert from teaching me a few things I didn't need to know at that age, lol......but THAT'S a totally different story! :whip:

Anyhoo, lol... ya catching them wasn't always fun, seems they don't always WANT to be milked.

Lol- ! :whip:

Anyhoo, lol... ya catching them wasn't always fun, seems they don't always WANT to be milked.

LOL

That's where a bucket of grain and the patience of a saint comes in handy -which my daughter has!! lol She can get any animal to do almost anything for her! She is so good with animals, I hope she goes into some sort of animal husbandry field, like vet, zookeeper, trainer, something because she can calm the most scared animal down in minutes... :)

Anyway, enough of me bragging...

When you all make your milk soaps make sure and post them in the gallary. :)

:cheesy2: Lol- yanno I don't remember what I used to round em up. I mean a bucket of grain sounds pretty sensible but I don't recall that working if I even got to use that trick at all... I think maybe they weren't hungry enough vs knowing what they were in for! Thus the phrase...'stubborn ol goat'? :rolleyes2 And the pen was big enough that they could wear a person out going from one corner to the other, lol. Maybe they just thought it was inevitable, knew they would get the grain eventually, so why not play a little game of catch with me just for s**ts and giggles.:rolleyes2 They were that ornery!!!

I will have to say, I don't think i've seen much in the way of goatmilk soaps in the gallery. I always wondered if there is ever any unwanted scent, and how white they are naturally and how they take color. So definitely, do share!