MP Crystalizing

crystalmcvea

I know I have posted about this problem before..I made a chocolate MP soap and after a few days tiny crystals formed on the outside. I was told that maybe I was getting the soap too hot...so I made sure this time that I melted it slow and on low temps...well, it crystalized again. I just cant figure this one out. Does anyone have any idea at all what can be causing this?? Just to be sure...how much coloring can you add to MP? Maybe that is it. How do these other soap makers get a great looking chocolate coloring?? :sad2:

I sure sounds like glycerin is weeping to me. Do you put them in the freezer to get out of the mold? I find that when I do I tend to get more weeping, since I stopped I did not get it. Yes you should wrap the right after they cool off to room temp. I wrap mine in the clear plastic stretchwrap that they use in the meat/deli dept at the grocery store. The stretch on it gives a tight nice finish. I got mine at linen and things but I know they sell it at chef supply places. You can use saran wrap too but it is harder to stretch and get tight. If you don't have any just put them in a baggie. Some people like to use the shrink wrap bags too but I am not crazy about them.

Hey Hun

Are you perfecting the chocolate soap?

I'm no expert in any way, but I wrap in plastic wrap as soon as the soap sets & is cool...I know some people have said they don't wrap immediately & have no problems...I just have OCD issues, I guess LOL. Is it humid where you are or is your house hot? I've read that it temp can sometimes make it sweat or crystalize Are you adding anything else other than scent & color? What kind of base are you using? Maybe someone is/was using the same base & had the same problem :undecided

As far as the coloring, I have only seen a deep chocolate color in cold process soap. I tried to make a deep red soap (before I had sense enough to read!) and ended up w/ pink bubbles everywhere that made me itch like hell! Now, I only add the color by drops, just enough to get a tint. Or sometimes the FO will change the color & I just leave it like that lol Yeah, I know...kinda boring. M&P seems to give you a pastel-like color...oh, I don't know how much help I am :o Maybe the M&P pros can help!

Oh you are more help than you know! I was using a goats milk mp base...small amount of FO and for coloring was using mica powder. Well, I did have to use quite a bit of mica to get a good chocolate coloring. thats the only thing I can think is causing this because my other soaps that only need a small amount of coloring do NOT have the same problem. So, you said that CP could give me a good chocolate color? Does anyone mind sharing a recipe with me...keep in mind i have never ventured to make CP before...but Im desperate now! LOL..

Oh you are more help than you know! I was using a goats milk mp base...small amount of FO and for coloring was using mica powder. Well, I did have to use quite a bit of mica to get a good chocolate coloring. thats the only thing I can think is causing this because my other soaps that only need a small amount of coloring do NOT have the same problem. So, you said that CP could give me a good chocolate color? Does anyone mind sharing a recipe with me...keep in mind i have never ventured to make CP before...but Im desperate now! LOL..

Hey Hun, did you ever try the chocolate FO or the pre-colored M&P base we talked about in Dec? I still have the email...I can resend it it you like. Mind you, I've never tried either, but I just remembered we talked about it. Have you thought about trying something different...maybe liquid colorant or hell, maybe even a white chocolate soap? Ok, I may be stretching it a bit :rolleyes2 And as LovelyLathers said, the cocoa powder is a great choice also...for color & scent. And don't forget about natural cocoa butter, really nice natural chocolate scent!

As far as CP, I sure as heck can't help you there...I'm still building the nerve to try it myself LOL, but I'm sure someone could help..there are some hella soap divas here! I've seen some CP soap that was a really nice brown (much darker that you'd get with MP) and I figure add some chocolate scented fo and roll with it.

Keep at it girl, you'll get it.

Sharon

The best way to get a rich deep chocolaty color in CP soap is to use an FO with lots of vanilla/vanillin - those will discolor it to that color. I know some use cocoa powder as well. I tried to get a nice brown with my Select Shades and it was just awful, but that was my first attempt that route.

Do vanillas not turn MP soap brown too?

The best way to get a rich deep chocolaty color in CP soap is to use an FO with lots of vanilla/vanillin - those will discolor it to that color. I know some use cocoa powder as well. I tried to get a nice brown with my Select Shades and it was just awful, but that was my first attempt that route. Do vanillas not turn MP soap brown too?

OK, but suppose you want brown but want it to smell like chocolate...then what do you do? I'm taking notes for when I venture into CP :cheesy2:

I haven't had any vanilla turn my MP soaps brown...yet

Sharon

I haven't had any vanilla turn my MP soaps brown...yet

WOW, I can't believe that! My vanilla's especially Pink Sugar turn almost BLACK they get so dark over time!! :tongue2:

The vanilla stabilizer for M&P soap works wonderfully though.

Chocolate FO has vanillin in I believe, so it should help it turn at least slightly brown, but I agree in trying the cocoa powder just make sure to mix it really well with either a tiny bit of water, oil or glycerin etc. Otherwise you'll have little specks of cocoa powder throughout.

Michi, I've never tried a vanilla stablilizer and want to because I am tired of not being able to do any m&p with an fo with vanilla. Mine all turn brown with the least bit of vanilla. In lots of them I don't mind, but those like pink sugar I do mind. Could you recommend a good one?

Okay...I have tried the cocoa powder BUT did not mix it with water or anything and guess what?? I got the specks...so now I know. How much do you think is the max to use??

Oh just to throw this out. I made some cookie soaps for a bday party for a little girl and I used a sugar cookie FO safe for soap...and they did turn my soaps darker within 4 days...I used MP soap...so i guess it is possible?

I have achieved a great chocolate color, but was concerned because the chocolate was the soap that was crystalizing...so that is why i asked to begin with..I wasnt sure what was causing this phenom!

WOW, I can't believe that! My vanilla's especially Pink Sugar turn almost BLACK they get so dark over time!! :tongue2:

The vanilla stabilizer for M&P soap works wonderfully though.

Chocolate FO has vanillin in I believe, so it should help it turn at least slightly brown, but I agree in trying the cocoa powder just make sure to mix it really well with either a tiny bit of water, oil or glycerin etc. Otherwise you'll have little specks of cocoa powder throughout.

Hmm, now I know I'm not that special :rolleyes2 I've used Creamy Vanilla from Lonestar, Madagascar Vanilla from OT, and two other raggedy, too damned sweet Vanillas from Ebay..no browning.

Am I not using enough FO? Not that I want the soap to turn brown LOL...just wondering...& worried that 6 months from now I'll have black soap!

Okay...I have tried the cocoa powder BUT did not mix it with water or anything and guess what?? I got the specks...so now I know. How much do you think is the max to use??

See what happens when you don't believe the pros? You get speckled soap! :D

Start with...maybe a tsp(?)...and work your way up...but remember to write down each 1/2 or full tsp you add.

Don't ask why I said that!

Sharon