Which butter do you prefer in soaps?

Carriegsxr6

Which butter do you prefer in soap  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Which butter do you prefer in soap

• Mango Butter
    • Shea Butter - unrefined
    • Cocoa Butter - deoderized

I wanted to take a quick poll and see which butter people preferred most when making soap. I am stuck between two and really want to windle it down to one to save on costs. But can’t make up my mind. I like mango butter best but its too expensive, for me shea comes in next because it makes the bar so silky and I can get a great deal on it for $2 a lb, however cocoa butter makes the bar harder and lather a little better. UGH please help me decide

I'd never soap my recipe without both of them.

Honestly, you've just got to try your recipe with each one and see which you prefer in the final product. I did that and didn't care for either, but together, I love the results.

I get my mango from OBN for BB applications like lotions, and body butter. But for soaping I prefer CF's Mango.

I'd never soap my recipe without both of them.

Honestly, you've just got to try your recipe with each one and see which you prefer in the final product. I did that and didn't care for either, but together, I love the results.

I get my mango from OBN for BB applications like lotions, and body butter. But for soaping I prefer CF's Mango.

Can you tell me why it is that you prefer your mango from OBN for BB and CF's for soaping? I was lucky and got in on that fabulous mango butter in Mystical's coop (hope you got in that one too) and have used it in both my soap and BB. I love the stuff and Mystical can do another coop anytime soon. hint hint... Anyway, I have some mango now from CF that I haven't used yet.That is why I ask. :wink2:

Regarding the poll, I can't decide since I use them all in my different soap recipes.

I have the fabulous co-op mango too, and horde it. I swear I want a bucket of this stuff next time. Another co-op would be welcomed as I'm getting low.

I think it's probably a quality decision and a cost decision for me. CF's mango and refined shea are more soaping grade butters and the results are fab in soap. I get a beautiful white bar, it's cost effective and I like that. I feel both are too hard for butter, mine anyway.

For emulsified butters and lotions, the OBN Mango isn't as hard and I personally think it's better quality for a leave on product.

All in all, I loves me some mango butter.

I think it's probably a quality decision and a cost decision for me. CF's mango and refined shea are more soaping grade butters and the results are fab in soap. I get a beautiful white bar, it's cost effective and I like that. I feel both are too hard for butter, mine anyway.

I agree with you about going with different grades for soaping, I dont mind using Bamboula Soap Grape Un Refined Shea in my CP, its the same SAP value and quality as their others, but its a little smelly and a little darker. It still kicks butt in my CP and its only $2.00 a lb if you get 10lbs. If I hosted a co-op, I am sure they would come down on the priceing even more.

But if I was making body butters, I would have to go with a better quality refined.

I have the fabulous co-op mango too, and horde it. I swear I want a bucket of this stuff next time. Another co-op would be welcomed as I'm getting low.

For emulsified butters and lotions, the OBN Mango isn't as hard and I personally think it's better quality for a leave on product.

All in all, I loves me some mango butter.

I loves me some mango butter too. I horde my MB from Mysticals coop also and am almost out. I keep forgetting I have the CF mango when I go to soap. I could tell from the looks and feel of it the CF MF isn't as smooth and creamy as the OBN. I figured it probably came down to a quality issue with you. Now I'm wondering if its the mango that helps you make those gorgeous soaps of yours??

I use them all. If I really had to use only one I would go with shea butter. It adds a certain label appeal. Most customers are like "Uh?" when you say mango butter, but shea butter is like gold to people's ears.

I use refined mango, and unrefined shea/unrefined cocoa butter for my recipes.

this is actually very true. average people are really becoming aware of the benifits of shea butter.

they all add great qualities to the soap as far as hardness, conditioning and creaminess.

This is how the soap calc compairs them:

Mango:

Hardness 53

Conditioning 52

Creamy lather 53

Shea:

Hardness 45

Conditioning 54

Creamy lather 45

Cocoa:

Hardness 61

Conditioning 38

Creamy lather 61

Mango has the best averaged numbers, but ugh its so pricey compared to the others. Cocoa does wonders for hardening the bar and making it more creamy, but not as conditioning as the others, and Shea is the highest in conditioning but the lowest in hardness and creamy lather.

this is why i pull my hair out trying to choose one. :laugh2:

You could always offer different types of soaps with different prices. You know like an "average" type soap and then maybe a "spa" or "luxury" type that you could add mango to and charge a bit more for. Customers are usually willing to pay extra for one of those spa" or "luxury" bars.

You could always offer different types of soaps with different prices. You know like an "average" type soap and then maybe a "spa" or "luxury" type that you could add mango to and charge a bit more for. Customers are usually willing to pay extra for one of those spa" or "luxury" bars.

You are so right, Meredith. (spendy is a good thing... HA HA :grin2: )

Handcrafted soap is fabulous on the skin, and people that know the difference will pay more. It is just like baking a cake in my opinion. Exculsive, privately owned bakery versus chain store in quality. The "ingredients" so to speak add label appeal and perceived value, IMO.

I use OBN's Mango to soap. :yay:

I love this stuff, it soaps well and doesn't totally kill your lather.

Shea butter is okay, but there are so many grades, a lot of them substandard compared to Mango, for various reasons. It's all about preference and what your niche market is.

I might do another Mango co-op, I am dangerously low. :drool:

Once you use OBN's mango for your formulations, there is no substitute!

(seems a few are concerned about me editing my posts, do yourselves a favor and get a life)

You are so right, Meredith. (spendy is a good thing... HA HA :grin2: )

Handcrafted soap is fabulous on the skin, and people that know the difference will pay more. It is just like baking a cake in my opinion. Exculsive, privately owned bakery versus chain store in quality. The "ingredients" so to speak add label appeal and perceived value, IMO.

I use OBN's Mango to soap. :yay:

I love this stuff, it soaps well and doesn't totally kill your lather.

Shea butter is okay, but there are so many grades, a lot of them substandard compared to Mango, for various reasons. It's all about preference and what your niche market is.

I might do another Mango co-op, I am dangerously low. :drool:

Once you use OBN's mango for your formulations, there is no substitute!

(seems a few are concerned about me editing my posts, do yourselves a favor and get a life)

Well MA if you do another mango coop, I am so in again. You do a good job running swaps and the last mango butter from your coop was divine and worth the wait.

Thank you M, that last Mango co-op was a challenge to say the least.

I called OBN last time, and they anticipated a shipment long before the order was placed, so we weren't worried. Life got complicated, etc. This time, I will post a disclaimer on timeline... LOL!! We had a *fabulous* group in the last OBN co-op, I couldn't have asked for better! :highfive:

Thank you M, that last Mango co-op was a challenge to say the least.

I called OBN last time, and they anticipated a shipment long before the order was placed, so we weren't worried. Life got complicated, etc. This time, I will post a disclaimer on timeline... LOL!! We had a *fabulous* group in the last OBN co-op, I couldn't have asked for better! :highfive:

Yes, but you rose to that challenge which was a challenge out of your control. Also, I personally don't need a disclaimer - I'm a resonable adult that understands when things happen - not to mention I trust ya! And I think it is worth noting, NOT ONE COMPLAINT from any participants in the mango butter coop. :wink2: That's how it is when you deal with adults.

My last post should have said you do a good job running coops - but I'm sure you do a good job running swaps too.

?? when you use the unrefined cocoa butter, does it overpower your f/o. I love the unrefined stuff but everything I make with it has that underlying "cocoa" smell.

I think all cocoa butters are refined. The only difference is deodorized or un-deodorized. And to answer your question YES the un-deodorized totally stands out and messes with the scent you add.