Natural Soap Is Ugly!!!

keniasoapboutique

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with the crowd that loves the rustic look natural soaps!

But I do use MP molds with my HP soaps all the time. What ever soap I have left over after I fill my log mold goes into a MP mold. Sometimes I take a bit of my soap out before I add fragrance and put it in a MP mold, for unfragranced bars. I spray them with Pam ahead of time then put them in the freezer for a bit. I usually have no problem getting them out.:grin2:

Another one who loves the look of a natural piece of soap. The ones that are more artistic with swirls, layers, etc. -- they are really beautiful. And I can appreciate the work that goes into them. But I still can get just as much appreciation out of a plain jane no-dye, bar of natural soap. Delicious.

I myself love natural looking soap bars, I love the swirls, the colors, the way they are cut. I think that dove and ivory soaps are boring. Don't get me wrong I love natural soaps with no color. Maybe it's just knowing that the soap is handmade is the beautiful part of the soap.

The soap artisans on CT (I don't consider myself one) obviously work very hard on their soap and it shows (visit the gallery) I am going to suggest that you contact one of them privately and they might be willing to help you to create a more aesthetically pleasing bar of soap.

I've visited your site and I love the intro but I am going to be honest with you. If after viewing the gallery and comparing what you found there to your soap, I can see how you might feel that your soap is ugly.

Yes, there are some interesting soaps in the gallery, but you can't possibly look at grumpy girl, thecandlepastore, Brenda, lovelylathers or KB23 and say their soap is ugly?:shocked2: these ladies Rock!:rockon: and have created works of art. As far as aesthetics are concerned, I haven't found a commercial bar that comes close. We won't bother to get into quality.

We aren't all gifted with a creative or artistic spirit, which means we might have to work a little harder than those that are. It's never a good idea to compare your work to anothers.

Sure hope some of these nice members will help you find what you are looking for. I'm still a newbie:D

I make CP and I agree. My soaps are ugly. However... I like to experiement with fruits and veggies, teas, milk, yogurt etc. Coloring soap is not important to me. But I also don't make soap for my livelihood. Yes, I do sell some, but that's after giving away several bars to lots of people, and one person coming back for more. Personally, I don't buy a bar of soap for how it looks, I buy it for what it's going to feel like on my skin. If your customers want "pretty," then do what someone else suggested and wrap it up in some nice packaging. Or become a soap wizard and create magic like Grumpy Girl!!!

I have not used anything but handmade soap, made by me or others, for several years now. I would never go back. Funny, but my hubby always knows if it's my soap in the shower or someone else's.

I don't like the hard edge of a rectangular bar either. After hand cutting and curing, I bevel and polish every bar. It's time consuming, but my soap is a labor of love and it shows.

• 6 months later...

Natural, clunky, earthy looking bars of soap is actually what got me started in my CP Soapmaking venture. I was totally mesmerized by these handmade beauties. I love the look of handmade. I have no desire to get my bars of soap to look like the commercial bars in the stores, so I have no experience with 3-Molds. Though my husband had a suggestion I make soap on a rope which I would need the 3-D Molds for. Maybe I will try this at some point but I am not very enthusiastic about it! :undecided

As someone said everyone has their preference. I started with M&P and quickly decided I didn't like the cookie cutter look, but that is just me. I don't particularly like the feel of glycerine only soap either and so that is why I decided to first try HP. I made one batch of HP and decided to try CP and I was hooked. I just find that the soaps made with the fancy molds don't look "real", I don't know how to explain it. I just finished making a few batches one of which is an Anise (Licorice EO) soap and it is certainly not a boring soap to look at. I am absolutely thrilled with the look of it and I love looking at all the creative soaps (CP) that people post pics of on this forum. To me CP is an art form, whereas melt and pour is not, JMHO. Take a look at "Lush" soaps and there is nothing "ugly" about their soaps, that's for sure.

Take a look at "Lush" soaps and there is nothing "ugly" about their soaps, that's for sure.

I thought "Lush" soaps were M&P, not CP.

If after viewing the gallery and comparing what you found there to your soap, I can see how you might feel that your soap is ugly.

Also, I have to agree with Hibiscus after visiting your website, look in the Gallery and you will see beautiful CP soaps. Maybe try using samples in the Gallery as a guide and you should change your mind about CP being ugly.

To me CP is an art form, whereas melt and pour is not, JMHO. Take a look at "Lush" soaps and there is nothing "ugly" about their soaps, that's for sure.

Funny, to me MP is a real art form - one I certainly have not mastered. I tend to like CP soap better for my skin, and I love the chemistry of it so mostly do CP but when I try MP I am kept humble.

Lush is MP as far as I can tell. And honestly, without the marketing their soaps are often pretty ugly. There is a certain something about even their ugly ones though - a certain artistry that appeals.

I think both MP and CP are an art.

WTHeck is so ugly about them? To me, they're not country, prim, trendy, etc--they're just natural. They'd go w/ any decor in my opinion.

To note, the soaps on the website are gorgeous. What's Kenia's opinion?

It looks like there's been a lot of hard work that's gone into making them.

I agree with CareBear. I think both mp & cp are a work of art.

I don't sell. I make them for our use & gifts. But when I make a gift for someone, I think about what their style is. Is the soap for a young & trendy person? Maybe I'll go with mp in a cute or flowery mold, or with curls embedded. If the person is an all natural kind of girl, I go with a natural cp. For guys, maybe a bright colored clear mp. For my granddaughters, mp in a girly mold. They just love my flip flops. :)

I think they both have their place.

I have never made soap..Only Candles...but while I was surfing the forum, on how to make better candles.. I kept seeing all the information and gallery on soaps..It so intriged me that I am slowly buying supplies to make me some..I liked all the looks, bulky, beveled, rippled..colored, white, swirled with different colors, swirlly on top...plain on top..I just can't wait to make my own..I have bought some from this board, and I must say I love every bar I have..I have them all stacked up beside my tub..sometimes I use every one before I get out of the bath..lol