Are soap kits worth it for a newbie?

broadzilla

Hello,

I am probably driving everybody crazy with all of my questions on this board tonight. But now that I've been reading for hours...I am truely overwhelmed!:wink2: So, I started looking around for kits, thinking that would be a simpler way to get started. I found this site and these kits....

http://shop.candlesandsupplies.com/candles/category.asp?catalog%5Fname=Candles&category%5Fname=Soap%2C+Bath+%26+Body&Page=1&path=Soap%2C+Bath+%26+Body

Is it better to start with a kit? I'd like to make bath bombs and soap and have ZERO experience and/or talent. There are a few on this page to choose from, and even THAT I wasn't sure of.:confused:

If someone has better ideas about kits, yes/no..please tell me! *lol*

I thought I knew what I wanted to make...now after close to 5 hours of reading these threads and seeing all the beautiful soaps, especially jbrens, I have no clue what to do or where to start. Would soap bombs be the easiest to start with? I'd like to start with something easy or I will give up out of frustation. *lol* My biggest problem is that I have never been creative. So anything I've tried to make has turned out bad. Last time I tried to make anything was paper mache I believe, back in the 70's. *lol* Turned into a ball of mush. I really want to make soap that is beautiful like what I've seen here tonight. Ok, that tells you nothing since it is all beautiful. Maybe something easy to start with to build some confidence? That sounds horrible coming from a grandmother! *lol* But I honestly have no confidence in anything creative, just the desire for many many years to make something pretty.

A kit may be a good way to start, if you are not sure this is something you want to do on an ongoing basis. At $17.99 it is not that expensive, and if you were to buy the ingredients separately, you'd spend more than that, although of course you'd also end up with enough ingredients for much more soap than the kit.

Shutter put together a soap kit for me when I first started and frankly that's the reason I probably started -- she made me do it. I had enough for two batches. I'm still not convinced I love doing this though. I am approaching more as this is something that I will beat and get better at.

What I liked about the kit was having everything I needed instead of me getting distracted (which happened later) by thinking I needed other things or I wasn't sure if I needed it so I got it just in case.

Here is a CP kit from BB. BB is excellent to work with - great products and CS.

http://www.brambleberry.com/kits.html

Shoot - I'm trying to think of the name of the other place I remembered I bought a soap kit from. It came with a really nice wood log mold with the company's logo on the side. It seems like the company had the name "Southern" in it. Dang it. I hate it when something is just right on the tip of my tongue. Hopefully someone will read this and will know what I am talking about and the name.

Hi Scented,

Would you mind listing what exactly was in your kit? I am going shopping tomorrow for stuff to make soap for my first time and don't really know what I should get.

Thanks!

Well other kits are likely to be different, but she sent me:

a log mold (which anything can be a mold it seems any more)

Olive Oil

Babassu (she sent what went into her recipe that she included)

Coconut

lye (but a few people bombarded me with lye too ... big hint to get with it is what I think they were saying)

Palm oil

soybean oil (before I realized you can get this as veggie oil anywhere)

grapeseed oil

I had to go and get the other stuff, like a scale, stainless steel bowls and spoons, protective wear, stickblender etc.

Then I refused to make anything till I had color ... yes, I drove my enablers nuts.

Here is a CP kit from BB. BB is excellent to work with - great products and CS.

http://www.brambleberry.com/kits.html

Shoot - I'm trying to think of the name of the other place I remembered I bought a soap kit from. It came with a really nice wood log mold with the company's logo on the side. It seems like the company had the name "Southern" in it. Dang it. I hate it when something is just right on the tip of my tongue. Hopefully someone will read this and will know what I am talking about and the name.

You are probably thinking of Southern Belle Soaps and Candles and their website is www.southernbellesoaps.com

That was so sweet of Shutter to do that for you Scented. That's a good soaping friend!

LOL!! She hounded me worse than Sherie ... oooops I didn't say that. But she did sell me her colors and thus I had no more excuses since I couldn't think of more.

Oh yeah she sent me butters too ... some shea and mango.

You are probably thinking of Southern Belle Soaps and Candles and their website is www.southernbellesoaps.com

OMG that is it! You're awesome blossom! I knew someone here would know what I was talking about even though I didn't. :cheesy2: I did a search too and couldn't find it. Thanks!

Now that I think of it more, it seems I remember hearing or reading they weren't making anymore of their molds. I don't see molds on the site either but I have a mold from that company that I got with a really great kit. Too bad they don't make them anymore. Their wood log molds are very nice.

LOL!! She hounded me worse than Sherie ... oooops I didn't say that. But she did sell me her colors and thus I had no more excuses since I couldn't think of more.

Oh yeah she sent me butters too ... some shea and mango.

I would expect that. That is what a good soapy friend would do. And aren't you truly glad she did?