Reed Diffusers

SoyKandles

Boy, am I confused!! People say to use DPG then not to use this, but use perfumers alcohol. Then I hear perfumers alcohol isn't good to use. Some people use straight FO's and other say it doesn't travel up the reeds. What's a person to do??? I've mixed up one with 50/50 FO & DPG and one with BC's AromaMagic Oil (whatever is in that!??). They both smell good to me.

I guess I would like to know what most are using to make their reed diffusers?

Thanks for the help!

i tried the dpg and it didn't work for me...i used the sample of the aromamagic oil...fresh linen and it's still going strong in my daughter's room...

I have the free reed kit I got from BCN from the conference and haven't touched it because I don't really dig the scent. Perhaps I should give it to someone that does to test it out for me. It seems quite simple to use.

I have been reading on other supplier boards that mixing the FO with a DPG and perfumers alcohol mixture is the way to go. Some FO has been reported to clog the wicks, thus the thinning agent (PA) is supposed to allow the fragrance mixture to travel to the top of the reed. I am going to test this out as soon as I get some Perfumers alcohol.

I am experimenting. I have one in my bedroom that is 50/50 Perfumer's Alcohol/FO that at times is doing pretty good. Other times I don't seem to smell it much. I have another one in my bathroom that is 50/50 IPM/FO and it actually seems to be doing a little better.

I also stumbled upon this info on a supplier's website:

Heyxlene Glycol is combined with fragrance oil when making reed diffusers. Hexylene glycol will not only lower the cost, since it's less expensive than most fragrance oils, but also dilute the fragrance oil without detracting from the strength of the scent throw (in fact, the manufacturer says it enhances throw with most FO's!).

SUGGESTED USAGE RATIO: The manufacturer suggests a ratio of roughly 1 part FO to 2 parts hexylene glycol. We suggest you experiment with your own FO's, starting with equal parts FO and hexylene glycol, and evaluating the scent throw.

*** As seen and demonstrated at the 2005 Chicago-Area Soap and Candlemakers' Conference! ***

I found this at www.oakcourtcreations.com but I have no idea personally if it works.

IPM is Isopropyl Myristate. I got mine from Snowdrift Farm but I think MMS has it, too. It is one of the three ingredients in the Perfumer's Alcohol, which is what lead me to try it. That was purely a shot in the dark on my part...no one has ever suggested it. I honestly think that one is doing better than the PA one. Let us know if you try the Hexylne glycol or whatever it is.

• 3 months later...

I have been testing some reeds and scents for about a month. The DPG and FO, 50/50 mix is not doing it for me. I get NO scent throw out of this mixture and I dont see where there has been ANY scent used out of the bottle the reeds are in either. I have a 2 kinds of perfumers/refresher mixes that I might have to play around with.... good thread. Bruce

I have been testing some reeds and scents for about a month. The DPG and FO, 50/50 mix is not doing it for me. I get NO scent throw out of this mixture and I dont see where there has been ANY scent used out of the bottle the reeds are in either. I have a 2 kinds of perfumers/refresher mixes that I might have to play around with.... good thread. Bruce

Bruce, the Perfumers Alcohol makes a world of difference. The PA is the catalytis (sp) that expells the scent into the air from the reeds. The DPG is simply a wetting solution, for lack of a better term. DPG's properties are not compatible with this application, unless the FO is as thin as water. Even then it will clog the reeds in a very short time, it just basically cannot transport the scent to the tip of the reed without the PA~ in a nutshell.

You'll have a great formulation in no time. :wink2:

Bruce, the Perfumers Alcohol makes a world of difference. The PA is the catalytis (sp) that expells the scent into the air from the reeds. The DPG is simply a wetting solution, for lack of a better term. DPG's properties are not compatible with this application, unless the FO is as thin as water. Even then it will clog the reeds in a very short time, it just basically cannot transport the scent to the tip of the reed without the PA~ in a nutshell.

You'll have a great formulation in no time. :wink2:

Thanks! I was testing this and working my Christmas show, so I just let it sit above the sink in the kitchen. We did smell it for a day or 2, then the smell was gone. I will get the PA a try and let everyone know how it works. Bruce

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread- anyone try Hexylene Glycol with the reed diffusers yet? I am wondering the difference versus perfumer's alcohol.

Also, I've been looking for perfumer's alcohol too - are there different kinds? I've seen a wide range of prices which made me wonder.

I recently bought some sticks and am ready to start testing!! :grin2:

Thanks much!!!

I still don't think there's been one really great formula that works for everyone. I felt a little redeemed for coming up with this idea all on my own a few months ago when I came across this info on the Lotioncrafter site:

"Our new and improved kit is now shipping with IPM as the Fragrance Cutting Oil. Why? Plain and simply, it works better! IPM improves the spreading co-efficient of your fragrance -- the scent wicks up the reeds efficiently, without the flipping necessary with DPG. Unlike DPG, IPM will not clog the reeds, so your scent throw remains stronger week in and week out. Try it, you'll smell the difference!"

I've had better luck with this than the PA but I don't have the percentages down yet...haven't really been playing with it lately,either!

I use straight FO and when the scent starts to get lite then I turn them over. I have had the same reeds in my bathroom since October and have not added any additional oil. I can't remember how much oil I put in there. Either a 1/2 oz. or 1 oz. I'm sure this is not how they were intended to scent but it works for me.

I found this on Taylored Concepts site.

Taylored Concepts Diffuser Scent Oils contain 35% of scented fragrance oil, which is much higher than the industry standard of 10%. This will get you a very strong scent throw. The principle behind reed diffusers is viscosity and specific gravity. Viscosity, or density, relates to how thick a material is and specific gravity is weight. The viscosity of a candle fragrance is too thick and the specific gravity is too heavy. Put a piece of paper in water and a second piece of paper in motor oil. The water will rise through capillary action in paper while nothing will happen to the paper in motor oil. Our propriety capillary agent has been developed with low viscosity and low specific gravity. In fact, our capillary agent is lighter than water. This combination of features allows our fragrances to work in perfect harmony with our Reeds for maximum fragrance diffusion. A 16 oz bottle will last for 5 to 6 months.

Contains no DPG.

BEWARE! Other companies are using Dipropylene Glycol (DPG) as a capillary agent. Dipropylene Glycol (DPG) is a medium viscosity oil and is heavier than water. Fragrance diffusion is minimal at best.

So what's lighter than water? Alcohol??? I don't know.

• 1 month later...

I'm currently using a blend of 33/33/33 FO/DPG/PA. hexylene glycol appears to be another type of alcohol, so that's probably why it is more viscous than DPG. I'm having good luck with this blend, though, so I'll stick with it until i run out of DPG, at least. Anybody else tried the hex glycol yet?

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to update that I had my 3/3/3 mix reed diffuser at my show last weekend...it was an outdoor show and I still had people coming over from 20 feet or more away saying "what smells so good"??? Once I explained it to them they thought it was very cool and interesting. Guys seem to enjoy the "science" behind it and thought it was neater than a candle. Doesn't hurt that I offer "Ocean" as one of my scents although Taylored's Orange Vanilla 20 was my best seller (and is also my personal favorite, it's not too foody but is very comforting and not overwhelming).

• 1 month later...