newbie needs help deciphering candle making language

Hello everyone I'm new here.

I am thinking of giving candle making a try to pass some of the boring winter months here in snowville. I am thinking of ordering one of those container candle kits from this place. http://www.candlewic.com/store/Product.aspx?q=cKits,p792 I was wanting to order some extra wax and wicks too. This is where I am a little confused. Can someone point me to a good reference or recomend a good book. I mean how do you know what kind of wax to use when or what kind of wicks to use. Reading thru this boad for me is like reading a forien language. Everyone is talking about was 1235 and wick 12-34-56 having a hard time making sense of it all. Would appreciate any input.

Thankx

Keep reading some more and read on the supplier sites. You'll gradually pick it up. For instance, you can check out about most of the wicking at candlewic and they should talk more about the wax too. You can search for IGI (the international group, inc) and get info about wax too.

It's out there. Just try to take it in slowly. It can get overwhelming.

There are also some wick charts posted on this site somewhere. If you read those, I think there's at least one that explains a few more things other than size and general use. Check the locked posts at the top of the threads. I know there's a good grouping of info in them.

I feel your pain. It can be overwhelming at times. I remember when I first started. But I don't do well depending on others, so I read everything I could get my hands on. Check out the links here designated for newbies, it can help explain things. If you have a question, feel free to ask it, but I would highly suggest that you use the search feature first. While it is hard to ask questions if you don't know the terminology, but it will all come in time. Candle making = patience. You will understand this after you start pouring.

Wick guidelines from suppliers are merely suggestions, and most of the time they are tested in unscented/uncolored wax, and you have to take that into consideration also. Decide first what type of candle you want to make, pillars, votives, containers, melts, etc. What type of wax, soy, soy blend, paraffin or gel you want to try. Another suggestion is to find a wax supplier close to you. While it may seem like alot of money to spend at first, it's worth it. Going to a craft store like Michaels or Joanne's is about a 100% markup on supplies. The kit from Candlewic is a good idea.

Good luck, and welcome to a new hobby that will teach you new curse words.