My first candle

I will post a picture of my first candle later. But I have a few questions. I started pouring my candle LAST SUNDAY, I would pour one layer at a time. I noticied the last two layers are "movable" and they do not stick to the other layers. What could be the cause of this? Thanks:confused:

you waited to long to do your second layer. I normally dont do containers, but I do pillars & if you wait to long to pour second layer it wont stick...I know with pillars its about 30 minutes to no more then 45 minutes depending on the size. Usually til you can see a good film on top of the layer, but can still see movement under the top. I'm wanting to say 1/8 of a inch on top of film.

Am I right CTer's..correct me if i'm wrong.

I don't look at the time, I keep on watching the wax, when as you said it has a film on top but under it it's still liquid I pour the next layer. BTW the film has to be a "good" film, or when you pour the hot wax it will break the film and blend. Hope this makes sense

Each layer has to be poured hotter than the previous layer. You could also try pouring the next layer before the previous one is completely cooled but still set up.

I always pour each layer at the same temp... I don't find anything useful in doing as you say! It's always hot wax againts warm wax...

I don't look at the time, I keep on watching the wax, when as you said it has a film on top but under it it's still liquid I pour the next layer. BTW the film has to be a "good" film, or when you pour the hot wax it will break the film and blend. Hope this makes sense

Yes you are right...I forgot about that..I have had that happen & my waxes mixed...i ended up with gray colored candle...:laugh2:

I thought that I had waited far too long. I just didn't have anytime to pour the entire candle in one day, but this weekend I will try. The color came out beautiful though. Brown and Ivory layers with a mix of vanilla and maple. YUMMY

You do have to wait until you can pour the whole candle. If it completely cools off, there's no way to pour additional layers properly. It's a matter of both time and temperature and what you're trying to accomplish, so it's hard to generalize about how to do it.

The suggestions you're getting about waiting for the sloshy film to form are correct when you're pouring a "rustic" candle with a rough surface. In that case you're pouring at only 150-160 degrees so you can't wait too long between layers.

For a candle with smooth sides, you're pouring hot and can wait until the previous layer has cooled to the point where the wax is starting to sink down. The thinner the layer you're pouring, the hotter it has to be to get smooth sides and seams. Generally no cooler than 190.

I always pour each layer at the same temp... I don't find anything useful in doing as you say! It's always hot wax againts warm wax...

Ah, learn something new every day. I never tried it without the higher temp, but what you say does make sense and I didn't quite understand the higher pouring temp anyway.

I thought when I started making votives, they said the same thing....pour at a higher temp the second time...but it didn't make sense to me because you are pouring hot against cold....what difference does it make what the original wax temp was on the first pour.

But then, what do I know?!?! :laugh2:

you waited to long to do your second layer. I normally dont do containers, but I do pillars & if you wait to long to pour second layer it wont stick...I know with pillars its about 30 minutes to no more then 45 minutes depending on the size. Usually til you can see a good film on top of the layer, but can still see movement under the top. I'm wanting to say 1/8 of a inch on top of film.

Am I right CTer's..correct me if i'm wrong.

Not really, because then that means you couldn't do a repour the next day and plenty of people have done that without problems.

If your layers aren't adhering, you aren't pouring the wax hot enough to bind with the layers. Up your pour temperature, maybe poke a few relief holes to help with the binding too.

I thought that I had waited far too long. I just didn't have anytime to pour the entire candle in one day, but this weekend I will try. The color came out beautiful though. Brown and Ivory layers with a mix of vanilla and maple. YUMMY

If you have to wait, you can hit the top of the 1st layer w/ a heat gun & let it start cooling again. Then pour the next layer -- that way you have a warm base layer that you can now add a hotter 2nd layer to.

Susan.

If you have to wait, you can hit the top of the 1st layer w/ a heat gun & let it start cooling again. Then pour the next layer -- that way you have a warm base layer that you can now add a hotter 2nd layer to.

Susan.

Yep, I do that, especially with Palm Wax - it cools and shrinks away from the mold so quickly when doing layers the heat gun is a must.

Yep' date=' I do that, especially with Palm Wax - it cools and shrinks away from the mold so quickly when doing layers the heat gun is a must.[/quote']

Awwww..smokin..you have just put another idea into my head..layered palms.something new for me..