Just starting out - ? on Suppliers

Put your fragrance in last and right before you pour.

That doesn't give your scent much time to incorporate, they often mix in better at higher temps and need lots of stirring.

While those are the basics for beginners, more is involved when it comes to making a really good candle that makes people want to come back for more.

Depending on your wax and the scent, 1.5oz may be too much. Shoot, 1oz can be too much sometimes.

You also didn't include anything as to knowing whether you have used the correct wick. It's a bear. None of the suggestions made by my supplier for wicking were the best choice for my candles.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't give your scent much time to incorporate, they often mix in better at higher temps and need lots of stirring.

While those are the basics for beginners, more is involved when it comes to making a really good candle that makes people want to come back for more.

Depending on your wax and the scent, 1.5oz may be too much. Shoot, 1oz can be too much sometimes.

You also didn't include anything as to knowing whether you have used the correct wick. It's a bear. None of the suggestions made by my supplier for wicking were the best choice for my candles.

I should have included that the instructions say to stir, lightly, for two minutes before pouring. Sorry.

The zinc wicks that I purchased at Natures Garden are working great. I love them and probably won't be using anything else.

I am advertising as putting out a triple scent, therefore, I have to use the 1.5 oz per lb so I won't be lying cause you know what the Word of God says, "All liars will have their place in the lake of fire!" :grin2:

Two minutes isn't always enough, I guess you'll find out.

Wicks can be too big. Customers want their candle to last a long time, try a smaller one to make sure that it won't work also.

Triple scent is a gimmick. I don't believe customers fall for it anymore. Plus, you're wasting FO when 1oz is just as strong when burning.

Two minutes isn't always enough, I guess you'll find out.

Wicks can be too big. Customers want their candle to last a long time, try a smaller one to make sure that it won't work also.

Triple scent is a gimmick. I don't believe customers fall for it anymore. Plus, you're wasting FO when 1oz is just as strong when burning.

I think I am wasting my FO, but to start out I wanted to go the whole way. I will experiment with that. Thanks! I did put only 1 oz of vanilla in one of my candles. It just seemed like enough.

The wicks are fine. They are perfect for my containers. Like I said they are burning even and clean.

Well, I have to run! Thanks for your imput!

I think I am wasting my FO, but to start out I wanted to go the whole way. I will experiment with that. Thanks! I did put only 1 oz of vanilla in one of my candles. It just seemed like enough.

The wicks are fine. They are perfect for my containers. Like I said they are burning even and clean.

Well, I have to run! Thanks for your imput!

I don't even know why I am bothering with this but anyway...just because you think the wicks 'work' for your container, it doesn't mean they will 'work' with every fragrance oil...this is the part you seem to not understand..at least from what I read, plenty of people have tried to tell you this...

I don't know why I am fooling around with it either. I just felt sorry for the poor lady last night and when very few responded, I did. Probably WILL NOT do that again. I don't use Crisco. For containers, I use a good container wax. I test every FO/WICK/Wax/Container combination. Sorry if I stepped on someones toes, it was IMHO good advice for a VERY misguided chandler. Amen, goodbye, and I will pray that no one's house gets burned down. Carole

I don't know why I am fooling around with it either. I just felt sorry for the poor lady last night and when very few responded, I did. Probably WILL NOT do that again. I don't use Crisco. For containers, I use a good container wax. I test every FO/WICK/Wax/Container combination. Sorry if I stepped on someones toes, it was IMHO good advice for a VERY misguided chandler. Amen, goodbye, and I will pray that no one's house gets burned down. Carole

I have to say I was in her shoes about 8 months ago..I too thought it was just wicks, FO & wax..but after talking with you guys,, I learned alot..so dont stop "letting us know how it is." if it wasnt for you guys, i would be selling badly made candles to ppl & endangering ppl's lives. We "newbies" need you guys to set us straight.. :laugh2:& yes i stil consider myself a newbie...i'm still learning!!!

Thanks!

The wax from Hobby Lobby may not be a container wax. If its straight parraffin its probally for pillars. Pillar wax is harder and will pull away from your container. I would recommend getting some good quality container wax from a supplier close to you. Check around with different suppliers on shipping. I have heard that candlescience has good shipping costs, I order all my wax from them but pick up my orders. Good luck.

If you are selling you'd best have insurance in place immediately!! Slapping a warning label on your candles WILL NOT protect you from someone suing you if they have a problem or fire caused by your product. If you are making them in your home, your home owner's insurance WILL NOT cover you if you have a fire caused by your making candles either!! Your home owner's insurance can and will drop you if they find out about your candlemaking with no additional insurance in place.

Thanks for all the advice. I need to hit the sack so I can get up early and burn down my house!!!!! :yay:

I'll check tomorrow and see if anything else was added. Wish me luck or visit me in jail. I'll post my e-mail address. :laugh2:

I have a question. I know I am new but I did tons of research and still doing it on this board and every place I could think of. It took me forever just to decide on a label, I would make one then chance my mind. I guess my question is this, I have not seen you mention anything about a business have you gotten your TID yet? or insurance? Do you have your labels made? etc.

I put crisco in my parff. and yes it does help! I have been making candles for 6 yrs. and have always used the same wick for my 8oz jelly jars. I think it is different with parff. than a mix wax. When I tested mix wax I had to use different wicks for different scents thats why I use parff. All I can say don't use too much vybar and you will be ok. And make sure you test each scent. And out of each pour use test a small test candle.

If you have any ?? just let me know

DeeDee-ohio:yay:

I put crisco in my parff. and yes it does help! I have been making candles for 6 yrs. and have always used the same wick for my 8oz jelly jars. I think it is different with parff. than a mix wax. When I tested mix wax I had to use different wicks for different scents thats why I use parff. All I can say don't use too much vybar and you will be ok. And make sure you test each scent. And out of each pour use test a small test candle.

If you have any ?? just let me know

DeeDee-ohio:yay:

Thank you, DeeDee-Ohio!!!! You've been a tremendous help!!!!

I use about 1 tsp Vybar for 4 lbs of parff. What do you use?

I am getting 3 16 oz jars and 3 8 oz jars out of 4 lbs of paraffin. This leaves me just enough for a second pour and sometimes I have to top off a third for the 16 oz jars.

The wicks I am using are doing excellent for all sizes and scents, thus far.

Thanks!