Coloring Bath Bombs

Chauna1

What do most of you use to color them? I looked for the Wilton gel color but I don't have a clue as to if I have the right thing. What kind of container would the gel coloring have in it?

What other suggestions can you give me for coloring?

TIA

Chauna

The Wilton colors are usually with all the wedding stuff in the craft area of some dept. stores. The containers are less than 2 inches tall i'd say...squat round plastic with white lids. They sit on a rack that allows you to see all the lids because that is where the color label is. I've used them in scrubs only and was successful half the time, lol. It's easy to get too much, so don't expect deep bright color- but on the other hand if you use it in a bathbomb, you have to remember it will be diluted considerably and not rubbed into skin...so you probably don't have to worry much at all.

As far as something else to use... although Micheals and most other craft store supplies are often way below par, I've found the liquid soap colorants (3 in a pack for about $6- and you can make more colors by combining if you go with the primary color pack) works just fine in bath bombs. I BELEIVE food coloring works too if you use very little and then just dont expect the color to last very well if you are selling at an outdoor venue for instance. HTH Good luck!

Okay I did go to Michael's today and got a few of the Wilton colors to see if I have the right thing. I got a gel one that comes in a tube and a paste that comes in a small jar with a white lid and a sticker that has the color on it.

Who knows if I have the correct items. I am trying to figure out which one I should keep if I can get some more advice on colors.

Chauna

I bought my colorants from MMS. I also have used my SS.

Crud that should not have said MMS - I used some of their different colorants originally and didn't like them so I tried Brambleberry and they worked much better. I was trying to post while cooking and hurrying. The darn kids were hungry. I hate how they get that way. :laugh2:

BUT- isn't it a given that you are supposed to clean or rinse the tub out after use anyways? It's not like you are going to leave that oily ring there, and the fact that it's colored just means you really aren't going to get away with it, lol. I always figured that people who use or enjoy the oil bath products expect to have to do this. Would I want to have to? No way, lol. Which is maybe why I don't take baths, lol. But others who do, I wouldn't think it's a problem for them. (and yes, I shower,-- I just don't sit in a tub to get clean, lol)

Well of course you'd wash the tub out because of the oil ring. And of course, there is a certain amount of an oil ring left to be expected. But I know I want my bomb to disperse the color in my water and not leave clumps of colorants floating in my bath water. That isn't cool. And if it can be avoided by using other products to color your bombs, why wouldn't you?

I bought La Bomba colors somewhere but wasn't particularly impressed no matter how much I wanted to be!

Jimminy, i have bombs to make - just remembered!

LaBomba I believe are the BrambleBerry colorants. I liked them so much better than the micas and oxides since they dispersed in the water better but it was a complete PITA getting them dispersed in the mixture. I now use my SS colorants and am very pleased with how well they work in the mixture and how they disperse in the water.

Edited to add: the SS colors are also so much more brilliant than the LaBomba. I also wasn't pleased with how bright the LaBomba colors were not.

I haven't made bath bombs in ages...haven't had time. But a few suggestions that came to mind for me were these.

If you're using water based colors, such as select shades, they need to be added to the dry ingredients (like the salts), before the oils are added. Otherwise the oils have already adhered to the dry ingredients, and the water based dyes have nothing to stick to. I've also heard it suggested to put the colorant in a small spray bottle and to mist the color over the dry ingredients. I've never tried this (keep intending to try it with my bath salts, but never seem to have spare sprayers when I make them), but I can see how it should help. With bath bombs, it would disperse the colorant more evenly, making it easier to mix the colorant all the way through. I also imagine, if you already have your citric acid mixed in, it'd be less likely to activate the bomb, since the liquid isn't concentrated. (kind of like using witch hazel rather than water to moisten the batch.

If you're using oil based colorants, add it to the oils before you add the oils to the dry mixture. I think this might work really well, but again, I haven't tried them.

As often as the Wilton Gels are recommended for bath bombs, I wouldn't recommend them for one very big reason. They're not approved for cosmetic use. They're approved for food use. You wouldn't be able to legally sell these. Yes, you probably could sell them, and yes you could probably get away with it, but it still doesn't make it legal. I've always been one who isn't comfortable skirting the laws and regulations. Just because others do it (like Burt's Bees and not using the latin names for their ingredient listings), doesn't mean that I can. I guess to me, using the wilton colors falls into the same category as using crayons or koolaid to color soap. Technically it can be done, but they're not cosmetic approved colorants, and therefore they shouldn't be used in our applications. Not trying to step on toes, just trying to keep everyone safe. Legally and medically. If they're not approved for cosmetic use, then there's a reason.