Patchouli problems

LaurieF

Anybody else have a hard time getting a good burn with this oil? I've got MC Groovy Patchouli. Is it Patchouli in general or maybe its just MC oil. I use HTP wicks and refuse to use anything else.

I haven't come across an oil that was so hard to wick as this. I have tried 3 different size wicks with 2 different percent loads and still can't get a hot enough burn.

This is totally going against my rule of thumb where if I can't get a good burn with 3 testers I don't use the oil, but this is becoming a personal challenge. Plus I always have people asking for Patchouli. I will try one more combination which will be a 7.5% fragrance load with a HTP 1212 wick.

Any suggestions for better oils....like I said.....I won't use anything but HTP wicks so I might have to give up on Patchouli (I can't stand it anyway).

I was never able to wick patch properly - I think it's all patches. Even EOs too. It acts like a "heavy" FO - you definately have to use a larger wick. I agree with the others - back the FO way down in amount, find a wick, then if you think it's too light of a throw, keep adding a bit more FO until you like the throw or your wick dies. I found them plenty strong at .5 oz (3%) per pound of wax, and I was using a soy/paraffin blend and an HTP whatever the one under 1212 is. 1212 was a torch.

I seldom find a fragrance I can't get right, but patchouli is one of them I just can't get squared away. I've tried multiple patchouli fo's, patchouli eo's, multiple waxes, multiple wicks ... about the only thing I haven't tried is standing on my head while chanting and spitting bb's. I canNOT get it to throw and/or burn correctly. Very heavy oil, so I wick up to BOAT ROPE size and it still eventually drowns out. Ugh. Have to admit, this one has kicked my butt royally. Don't know how much more pain and suffering I can endure for the sake of my art. :laugh2:

Clove is the other one. Can't get it wicked to burn properly, no way, no how. Burns great for the first few hours then gradually starts to drown out.

@#$%^&*!

• 2 weeks later...

i believe patchouli is just a real bugger all the way around.. i have a couple of friends who are huge yank** patchouli fans.. and they have a really hard time finding the candles.... they asked a clerk.. and she told her.. the reason being is they are so hard to wick...and that is why they always have such a shortage on the candles being on the shelves.. after my friend told me that.. i thought.. hummm... its a pain to get wicked.. but i sure would like to figure it out... so i can make all the fans of patchouli there candles :)

i'm not a huge fan of pat. but theres so many that just love it !!!

i'm going to keep searching to figure this one out :)

ladeana

Patchouli and I have a love hate relationship. I think the fo is neat but never have been able to get it wicked. I even tried a large square braid that I used in pillars. Something in that heavy oil seems to clog the wick.. there are little particles that get pulled against the wick.. then the wick kinda consumes itself. I use it tarts only.. might even make up some incense but after 5 yrs of trying to get it to burn.. I'm done with it in candles.

Just some info/facts here on YC Patchouli, it is my all time favorite scent, it is not true about a wicking problem and thats why they don't make it. YC only makes certain scents at certain times of the year when mixing. Example Patchouli you will see around Sept- Nov because they use it to make Witches Brew and Wicked for Halloween, it is also sold in Witches Brew all year for the UK line in London. Or Black Licorice you will see at Halloween time if they will be using it for Mint Licorice for Xmas season.The sales people at the store, generally don't know about that info, they pick it up from other customers, etc. believe me, I sold their candles for 6 years and I always knew more about what was going on then the poor sales clerks, they are usually last too know! Patchouli is not in the regular line at all times because the fact is the main store is overwhelmed with requests to bring this scent back, they do and people run to the store and only buy like 1 jar or a few tarts and it ends up at the outlet. This info. came from a product engineer at the main store in MA. One thing that they do have a problem with on this scent is fading. The lights in their stores due a number on some of their colors.You can buy Patchouli votives almost all year in certain states at their stores and they generally add it to their regular line every couple of years for about 6 months. There is also 2 different scents under the Patchouli Housewarmer Label, the green is straight Patchouli, the brownish color is Pear mixed in the Patchouli (personally I don't like this one at all). Thank goodness I keep myself well stocked, ok, 1000 votives to chunk up for my warmers. (hmm, is that a little much??)Anyhoo, a real good patchouli that I've had no problems with wicking or otherwise is Patchouli Raspberry from Tradewinds. It's just real strong/incense type.

• 6 months later...