this bites! and I need help

Georgia

I have given some thought to a "real" website. I have a free site on geocities. After this weekend at the show when people asked me if they could order on line and I had to say no (while Amanda with her spanky new website was rattling off all the payment options she accepted), I decided I should register my domain and get a real live website up. But imagine my total shock when I went to register just now and found that my name has already been registered -- TODAY!!!!! :shocked2: That just bites! Who would take my name hours before I decide I need it? AAAARRRGGG!!

Now, since I am a web challenged, do I go with .net or attempt to buy my .com from the slob that bought it today? And maybe I need an answer quickly...

I will help you if you need it. PM me with the name that you wanted and we can find out who got it. Also I can run it through my software for suitable variations. I use .net for some sites but if the .com is doing the same thing you better have a nicer site. most browsers automatically go to a .com with just the word and no . after it so you could lose customers with a .net

That is the same problem I had! Ok, still having :mad: The domain had a 1 yr term and expired on Aug 15. It wasn't being used, just held. On Aug 13, it was renewed for 5 yrs and a candle business went up! Now I have to decide what variation to go with. I do NOT want to change my name :cry2: I don't sell much yet, but it'll take me a while to learn how to make the site anyway :rolleyes2

Same exact thing happened to me! Only someone registered my business name RIGHT after I applied for my business license. It was bought through a company that buys domains then resells them. NO WAY was I going to pay someone money for a name that they only bought so that I couldn't have it.

I wanted to stay with .com and not .net or anything, so I hyphenated my business name for my web addy.

The guy bought the domain for two years, so maybe after that, if he lets it go I'll get it...

Good luck Georgia! I know how frustrating it is!!

Same exact thing happened to me! Only someone registered my business name RIGHT after I applied for my business license. It was bought through a company that buys domains then resells them. NO WAY was I going to pay someone money for a name that they only bought so that I couldn't have it.

I wanted to stay with .com and not .net or anything, so I hyphenated my business name for my web addy.

The guy bought the domain for two years, so maybe after that, if he lets it go I'll get it...

Good luck Georgia! I know how frustrating it is!!

You can actually apply for that domain name. ICANN has rules against "cybersquatting" if an actual business with that name wants it.

General Information

All registrars in the .biz, .com, .info, .name, .net, and .org top-level domains follow the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (often referred to as the "UDRP"). Under the policy, most types of trademark-based domain-name disputes must be resolved by agreement, court action, or arbitration before a registrar will cancel, suspend, or transfer a domain name. Disputes alleged to arise from abusive registrations of domain names (for example, cybersquatting) may be addressed by expedited administrative proceedings that the holder of trademark rights initiates by filing a complaint with an approved dispute-resolution service provider.

To invoke the policy, a trademark owner should either (a) file a complaint in a court of proper jurisdiction against the domain-name holder (or where appropriate an in-rem action concerning the domain name) or (
B)
in cases of abusive registration submit a complaint to an approved dispute-resolution service provider (see below for a list and links).

Not sure what exactly it may be worth to you but you may be interested in this
which is where that paragraph is from. Hope that helps

You can actually apply for that domain name. ICANN has rules against "cybersquatting" if an actual business with that name wants it.

General Information

All registrars in the .biz, .com, .info, .name, .net, and .org top-level domains follow the Uniform Domain-Name Dispute-Resolution Policy (often referred to as the "UDRP"). Under the policy, most types of trademark-based domain-name disputes must be resolved by agreement, court action, or arbitration before a registrar will cancel, suspend, or transfer a domain name. Disputes alleged to arise from abusive registrations of domain names (for example, cybersquatting) may be addressed by expedited administrative proceedings that the holder of trademark rights initiates by filing a complaint with an approved dispute-resolution service provider.

To invoke the policy, a trademark owner should either (a) file a complaint in a court of proper jurisdiction against the domain-name holder (or where appropriate an in-rem action concerning the domain name) or (
B)
in cases of abusive registration submit a complaint to an approved dispute-resolution service provider (see below for a list and links).

Not sure what exactly it may be worth to you but you may be interested in this
which is where that paragraph is from. Hope that helps

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems like it may only apply if the company name is trademarked???

I'd almost bet that someone at the show registered it in the hope you would purchase it from them sometime in the future. :mad: The timing is much too suspect.

That was my suspicion also since I have had the business for almost 2 years and the geocities site for almost one year. All is well, though. I registered Scintillating-Scents.com today. :)

Hey! I own a domain name! :yay: I remember when my kids took me to the library and showed me how to get on the internet for the first time. I went to jackhanna.com because I had watched his show that morning and he said to go to his website for more info.

Disputes alleged to arise from abusive registrations of domain names (for example, cybersquatting) may be addressed by expedited administrative proceedings that the holder of trademark rights initiates by filing a complaint with an approved dispute-resolution service provider.

If your business is incorporated or registered in your state with a state tax id or federal tax id number they conside it a trademark. Only works in a cybersquatting case. In which the current owner does not own a business by that name.

Georgia,

My goodness this happened to me.Well kinda.I got the domain said it was available.Put in my credit card number and all went through.About a week later told my husband let's get the site up.He kept having a hard time and said "Are you sure you got it".I said yes paid for it and all.It will be on the credit card.I looked up the name and it said a anonymous person got it and guess what I did it just after midnight and they could not have been before me epecially since it said Available and transaction went through.Now the funny part I kept asking the company and got no replies but my husband said that I must find another name.I had chosen that and NO one had it and POOF it was taken the same day but I know not just before midnight because I was told it was available.I learned a hard lesson.For a year I did use the same name but put a - in the name.I got .com that way but didn't want to be like a company whose products were higher than mine.

I think you may be able to find out who got it.Check it out but they may remain anonymous.People are so sneaky.The reason mine was taken was I put on a site(build your own) that I was ready to get my domain.They must have been lurking.Paid I am sure bigger bucks and I lost.

Makes you wonder if it was someone at the sale.UUUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!

I know how you feel all so well.I was devastated.

LynnS

Do they offer just domain names or you have to get a seperate account with each name for 65 bucks.

I am not sure that I understand what you mean. But I paid 85 for the year for 2 websites. Call them or email them. they have great customer service. They will be able to tell you if they offer what you need.