what causes this?

What kind of wax are you using,how hot are you adding the fo,how long are you stirring?Those are some factors,why the fo settle to the bottom.I add fo at 185,stir for about 4 mins,pour at 150.I use J50.It may not work for your wax.HTH

I've used J-50 for years, and had this problem for a while (never with vanilla though). The problem went away when I started adding the FO at 175-180 degrees. I still pour at 155 degrees, and slow cool. Keep stirring occasionally until you pour.

Fredron

In addition to the above tips, some chandlers swear by warming the fo before incorporating. And since the ones you mentioned can be a little harder to incorporate in some waxes, I'd recommend stirring with a wire whisk. Some chandlers object to this, saying whisks can incorporate air bubbles. I don't find this to be a problem. Since I started using a whisk, I've had NO problems with fo's incorporating (although I did when using a stir stick or something else). I whisk with the instrument fully submerged in the hot wax; I don't bring it up to incorporate air. Besides, if you pour hot enough, any air bubbles come to the surface and pop before the skin forms on the top of the wax. You can tap the container gently to bring air bubbles to the surface, plus allow the candle to cool slowly.

Good luck with your testing!

The problem has nothing with the scent load. The problem is with one of the ingredients in the FO - vanalin (I think I spelled that right). Vanalin is an ingredient in all vanillas and in lots of other FO's. The vanalin has to be incorporated into the FO when hot or it does not blend and bind. The mfg can be at fault, and we can be at fault when it sits in the bottle for long periods under different temps.When we use the FO, it separates from the FO and does not bind with the wax and seeps to the bottom, sides and top of the candles. Heating the FO before adding to the wax will help/eliminate the problem, but you lose scent. We pour it off (trash). It does not burn and will drown wicks. For us it is not worth messing with. We just make a note of the scents that have the problem and adjust. HTH

Yes, vanillin smells lovely, but is a PITB in fo (can crystallize in cold weather), candles (doesn't incorporate easily into wax and wants to seep out of finished candle), and soap (turns soap dark chocolate brown and gives a lovely brown lather). Small wonder we love the scent of vanilla so much when it's a royal pain to work with. LOL