4794 users - do u only use 6% FO load?

On some of the very light scents I up the load to 1.5oz per lb with 4794. But that's only like 2 scents that I carry. If you are using quality oils you really shouldn't have to go above the 1oz per lb. On some scents like Peaks lilac and rose I even drop it down to .5oz per lb and that still is almost too strong, they are such stong scents. :)

I read that the max load for igi 4794 was 6%. I thought that meant any more would seap out? When you up your percentage the oil doesn't seap out? Thank you! :)

Having the FO seep out is a possibility if you go above the 6% manufacturer recommended FO load. That is why they tell you what the maximum load is, this number is not just for fun.

You should also look at the recommended usage amount for your FOs, then take the lesser of the two numbers, and use it as your upper bound.

A 6% load is enough for a very good cold and hot throw in 4794. You won't have to worry about seepage if you go over that amount, IGI changed the formula at least according to the PIS on their website

http://www.igiwax.com/resource/Pillar_Candle_Waxes

I use 4974 for votives and the last batch I got I had to make some adjustments to be able to use 6%. At 6% it just won't burn properly and the honeycomb effect when it sets up in the pour pot is so bad I could house bees in it, I was able to make it work though.

I get my wax from Candlescience too and I know the PIS on their site says 3%-6%, but they may be unaware of the change or they just haven't had time to update their site. I did send an email to IGI on Saturday to make sure the formula has been changed and the FO load in the PIS isn't a typo, just waiting to hear back from them.

If you have any problems with it feel free to pm me.

I just purchased some of this wax and was not pleased with the scent throw at all. I used a 6% load (30 ml per lb of wax). Upon testing the candle (Votive) I noticed there was almost no scent throw. The candle burned well and I used a zinc core wick. I added the FO at the end and the temp was 180 degrees. The second pour was poured at about 185 degrees. I stirred the mixture for about two minutes prior to pouring. I can't figure out why this wax does not work. I usually use my own recipe with vybar, stearic acid and lustre crystals but decided to use this to save some money. My recipe works great and has good scent throw with the same FO.

I took the votive and cut it in half, then melted it in a ceramic wax melter with a tealight candle to heat it. The scent throw was great.

Can anyone explain this?

We have had absolutely no seepage problems when we have used 1.5 pp. We usually up it to that amount when using Candles and Supplies FO's. We adjust to 1 oz pp with Just Scents, Peaks and Cajun Candles, because they seem to be a stronger, heavier oil.

I just purchased some of this wax and was not pleased with the scent throw at all. I used a 6% load (30 ml per lb of wax). Upon testing the candle (Votive) I noticed there was almost no scent throw. The candle burned well and I used a zinc core wick. I added the FO at the end and the temp was 180 degrees. The second pour was poured at about 185 degrees. I stirred the mixture for about two minutes prior to pouring. I can't figure out why this wax does not work. I usually use my own recipe with vybar, stearic acid and lustre crystals but decided to use this to save some money. My recipe works great and has good scent throw with the same FO.

I took the votive and cut it in half, then melted it in a ceramic wax melter with a tealight candle to heat it. The scent throw was great.

Can anyone explain this?

I've never had any problems with scent throw at 6% with this wax. Try a wick that burns hotter. CD and LX work well with this wax.

Hi DeeB! Ok if I'm reading the PIS correctly, the new FO load is 4%?? Will you post the response you get? Thanks! :)

The new fragrance load according to IGI's new PIS is 8%-10%. The problem I was having with the batch I got was 6% was too low I had to add mineral oil to get it to burn properly. I found the new PIS when I was researching the problem I was having, I had always used 6% and never had a problem. When I get a response from them I'll let you know.