For All You WOOD WICK People!!!!

I am wondering what the booster agent they dipped them in is and if it is toxic. I am a little bit skeptical about those wicks. Otherwise they would have though of wood wicks many,many,many,many years ago when they were using whale tallow as wax.

No they don't come with bases. They say to keep them 1/4 an inch away from the bottom. I think if I decided to sell them I would probably add on the warning to stop burning candle when 1/2inch of wax is left. I don't know for sure but I will be testing a lot. I have three going right now!

Suzanne

I bought a couple of the wood wick candles that are currently on the market, just to try them out, see what they're all about. I found the wicks to smoke... I didnt' note any crackling...

One of the containers broke while burning. There are no wick tabs on these wicks.. their just stuck in the wax...

I belong to a couple candle burning fanatic groups and 99% of the ladies who bought candles with the wood wicks did not like them. They didn't like the crackling noise and were just down right scared they would start a fire and they complained of the smoke also.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick note, we tried some of the wood wicks from WSP recently and I personally was not impressed. They look like two popsicle sticks stuck together and the things would not stay lit for the life of me.

I just don't see a real advantage to using the things? Our whole 'spiel' is that our soy candles are safe and burn without soot and residue. Using these things would negate that advantage.

speaking as an insurance agent... if any of you decide to sell these... you so better make sure your coverage is up to date... I see big claims coming on these.. !!!!

and I'm even wondering if the company could deny a claim on a candle with a wooden wick.... without anything to secure it to the jar... they could say the candle wasn't safe when it was sold.. regardless of what you put on a warning label...

TeriM

An insurance company can deny a claim for whatever reason, however, having that hold up in court and before a judge, is a completely different story. I speak from experience (as a form insurance adjuster). They can say the candle was not safe, and, you can say it was safe, and, it's going to boil down to who can prove their case in front of a judge.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. Plus, Top has already indicated that they are probably safer than wicks with sustainer bases for the reason he already noted.

my question is..if these are so great...why didn't people way back in the old days use wood for wicking. they must of had a good valid reason for not doing it.

i don't even want to try these. all i need is one wrong sue happy customer to get ahold of one. what if the wick tips before getting down far enough and continues to burn and it heatrs up the container enough to make it crack? no way for me!

• 2 weeks later...

I too bought one of those expensive Woodwick candles...I just had to have one! The whole idea was fascinating to me.

One was enough.

I didnt see it as a fire hazard because I just dont like a high candle flame. And since it is wood, you have to keep it trimmed REALLY low so it wont smoke.

You also have to be there ALL the time so it doesnt begin to burn too high and start smoking again.

hence--the "wick" has to be trimmed REALLY low--so low that the flame gets drowned the second you breathe on it or move the candle.

I ended up melting the candle down for the wax and throwing out the last half of the wick.

Pretty flame though--and yes it did crackle..well..sort of more like a hiss.