Local Craft fair candle!!

mysticglow

A co-worker of mine went to a craft fair over the weekend. She bought a candle from one of the venders there and tried to burn it over the weekend. Well, she brought it to work today to show me because she was so disappointed. The candle was a jelly jar candle filled nearly to the brim, the wick had no tab on it, no glue, nothing. It was just sort of stuck in there.:eek: It had NO warning label. She said when she lit it that it smoked terribly. She is just going to dig the wax out of the jar and put it in her tart warmer that I sold her a while back. She said that she thought she was getting a good deal. Now she says the only good thing about it was that she only paid $3.50 for it.

Says she will only buy my candles from now on. YEAH!!! :yay:

Wow...each time I hear a story like this it amazes me. Everywhere I go, I open up jar candles to check out the wick and to take a sniff LOL...I can't believe the terrible quality of most...just goes to show how AWESOME handmade candles are and the work that goes into them. :)

Well, this is the reason so many people won't buy handmade candles. I check out other chandlers at shows and am AMAZED how many don't have warning labels or their wicks are crooked....It is scary because people buy those because a lot of times they are cheaper.....cheaper is not better lol, as we all know!! I have to admit, it is SO hard not to say anything to these people. I would so love to warn them they are playing with fire (literally) by selling an unsafe product to unsuspecting customers.....

I was so thrilled by a phone call I got today from someone who purchased one of my candles in April at a craft show. She said she was hesitant to buy it because she had bought hand-made candles in the past that weren't any good, but she did try one and loved it. Then she lost the handout I gave her with my contact info on it. Then last week she happened to turn over the candle when she was lighting it and saw my phone number on the bottom and called to reorder.

I told her that kind of call just makes my day!

Jane

I agree with Roxie, some of those "make a quick buck" chandlers really make it hard for those of us who spend thousands of dollars and months of work testing our products. It's sometimes hard to convert a customer who got burned in the past by buying poor quality hand poured candles. It would make it so much easier if we were allowed to burn a candle during shows, but that's 99.9% of the time a big NO-NO.

I never paid one bit of attention to a candle until I started making them. Recently I was in a local craft shop and there were "hand-poured" soy candles for sale. Lordy, lordy!!! The wicks were not centered, there were no caution labels, no business information on the labels (only a label that had the scent name on them), and they had virtually no cold throw whatsoever!:eek: It sure did make me feel good about the product I am putting out there!!!

I also get good remarks about my candles and a lady came back to a show this year to get a marshmellow.Of course I did not make one thinking it may not sell but she has my name and number and also where I will be this week-end.She did buy 3 other candles.So they must be good.She said that marshmellow was the best.Now I think I will carry that scent.

I did have alot of people check out the bottom of my candles.I do put warning lables BUT never know may miss one.This lady sounds like she missed alot of things.Wick not centered(glued), no company info and then no warning label.WOW that is bad.Glad your friend realized your candles are the best.

Also I sell my 8 ounce jj jars for $5.00 and a few asked and walked away. When they see these for $3.00 soy candles(like one lady had at the show) I guess they think mine arent reasonable.Alot of work does go into candlemaking and there is competition.

LynnS

Also I sell my 8 ounce jj jars for $5.00 and a few asked and walked away. When they see these for $3.00 soy candles(like one lady had at the show) I guess they think mine arent reasonable.Alot of work does go into candlemaking and there is competition.

LynnS

My thoughts are, you get what you pay for in this regard!!

I charge $5.00 for the Jelly jars too. That's why she thought she was getting a good deal at the craft fair. But she has ordered 3 more jars plus some tarts this week, so all is well. The girls at my work are my very best customers.

Well she had try the rest before coming back to the "best".:)