Wick testing in containers

I've spent a while here tonight reading but haven't found my answer (probably not looking in the right place). When you're doing wick testing in containers, how do you do it? I mean I did the wick sticker thing which I probably shouldn't have done because now I can't get the wick out without remelting the wax. So I'd like to know, if you pour the wax THEN put the wick in for easy removal, how do you get a small enough hole in to put the wick in? Am I making sense? I've looked around for something to poke thru the wax, but it's too thick for the wicks. I've got it just about right for 4 test candles, but another 2 I think I need to wick up.

Any advice?

I test my wicks just like I would make a candle, so I myself actually glue the wick down and the pour my wax and start burning away. Yes I have to remelt and what not when I need to test again a differnet wax but that is worth it all to me

Sometimes I test initially using just the wick so I can pull it out if its not working and stick another one in. But if I have the wick and tab in and it needs to come out, I melt it on the electric warmer and pull it out.

Make the candle like you would normally with the wick secured to the bottom using either wick stick'ums, hot glue or whatever you want. Start with a wick that you think is the right size and start burning. If, for whatever reason, you decide that the wick is the wrong size, blow out the candle and let it cool completely. Using a pair of needle-nose plyers, just pull out the remaining wick (the tab will stay on the bottom). This will leave a hole that you can put another wick in (without a tab).

Wash, rinse, repeat...:grin2:

I pour my testers without the wick then, once they set up, I poke a hole with a skewer. I place the wick I want in and either pour more wax in or melt the top with a heat gun and let it re-set. After that you can just pull the wicks with pliers and replace with a new one.

HTH,

Kim

I pour my testers without the wick then, once they set up, I poke a hole with a skewer. I place the wick I want in and either pour more wax in or melt the top with a heat gun and let it re-set. After that you can just pull the wicks with pliers and replace with a new one.

HTH,

Kim

I like this method. Just make sure you do not get the heat gun too close to the wick. It DOES alter your testing! (Ask me how I know)

No need to adhere your wicks for testers. Pour a full candle, no wick. When cool, I use the skewer too, place wick and test. If it's too large/small, pull it out with pliers, try again.

Once you think you've got the right wick, burn from top to bottom. HTH.

No need to adhere your wicks for testers. Pour a full candle, no wick. When cool, I use the skewer too, place wick and test. If it's too large/small, pull it out with pliers, try again.

Once you think you've got the right wick, burn from top to bottom. HTH.

I do everything the same except I stick the actual wick in it when it sets up enough to stay in place.