mason jar breaking?

I gave my friend a wickless jar candle made with the palm container wax from Nuscents with dreamsicle FO and orange coloring. She called tonight to say she heard and pop. When she finally figured out what it was, she said the bottom popped off the mason jar! She said the warmer she used was fairly new, she just bought it last week. I thought maybe it was the wax, but she said she has burned it off and on about 30 times. So, I don't know what caused this. If it was a defect in the jar, don't you think it would have popped sooner? I don't know. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Also, she said she had just turned the warmer on and it hadn't even been on for 5 minutes.

Stephanie

Never heard of this happening on a warmer. But if I had to guess I would go with a jar defect. I have gotten masons out of my cases and had some that had hairline cracks down the jar or across. But it was so not noticable. I barely saw one, and the other did not notice till I had it poured, but they were cracks all the way down and the other all the way across.

Hope you find out why and how. And be glad that it was your friend and not a customer!

Oh, I know. It just doesn't make any sense. You think if it was a jar defect, it would have broke within the first few burns, not 30 burns later. I'm kind of wondering if maybe some wax got spilled on the warmer. I don't know. I couldn't tell you how many I've put on my warmers without a problem, including the palm container wax. I may send her another jar and have her put it on the warmer, somewhere where if it does break it won't spill all over and see if maybe it's the warmer, since she just got it last week.

Stephanie

If that one puzzles you, this is what happened to me, twice!

I was using those metro jars from jar store. Made 2 candles at 2 different times. Left them for a few weeks to cure, one day I look into my cabinet and saw that both had cracked all the way down the side. Never burned em, didn't have any noticable defects, and it sure didn't crack when I poured it or even a few days later. This was weeks. Maybe what happened with your jars, wasn't about the warmer at all. Could have been a faulty glass from the getgo w/o you ever knowing. Just another good reason to have insurance right!

No kidding. Thank God I don't sell these! lol I'm working on it. I got my Illinois Business Tax ID and am going Friday to register with the county and run the ad. Next week is the insurance. Next month, my b/f will have me a website up and only for things I have tested and not had problems with. I may have to try some marathon "warms" with my jars on the warmer and see if I can create a situation where the jar cracks. Also, I'm gonna inspect my jars once again to see if there's anything there that I didn't notice before. Darn things! lol

Stephanie

What size of mason jar? The tall or the short/squatty ones? I've never used palm wax for wickless though. How full was the jar filled and what wattage was her warmer?

I make my wickless in the short ball elite masons (although with a 70/30 soy/para blend or 50/50 blend) and have tested only on a 24 watt warmer.

There is quite a bit of info. on warmers and wickless candles if you do a search. Some carry a warning not to use with vegetable waxes but with my waxes, jars and warmers, I've not had that problem.

Hope you find the problem!

It was an 8oz square mason jar. I have used a couple on my warmer. I don't know the wattage off hand, but it's the one at walmart that's around $5, kind of like a hot plate. It's weird, I know. I have used so many on there and have not had that happen. I'm gonna spend the week burning more to see if I can recreate it or at least figure out why it did it. If it was a defect with the jar, I'm sure she's pitched it now and we probably wouldn't be able to tell since it broke.

Stephanie

If that one puzzles you, this is what happened to me, twice!

I was using those metro jars from jar store. Made 2 candles at 2 different times. Left them for a few weeks to cure, one day I look into my cabinet and saw that both had cracked all the way down the side. Never burned em, didn't have any noticable defects, and it sure didn't crack when I poured it or even a few days later. This was weeks. Maybe what happened with your jars, wasn't about the warmer at all. Could have been a faulty glass from the getgo w/o you ever knowing. Just another good reason to have insurance right!

I believe the jars for the Jar Store are China imports. They are much thinner and have more uneven thickness than say jars from Libbey or Anchor Hocking. It's so important to have jars that are ASTA??? approved for candle use. There is another US based company that offer approved jars but it's late and their name escapes me at the moment.

It was an 8oz square mason jar. I have used a couple on my warmer. I don't know the wattage off hand, but it's the one at walmart that's around $5, kind of like a hot plate. It's weird, I know. I have used so many on there and have not had that happen. I'm gonna spend the week burning more to see if I can recreate it or at least figure out why it did it. If it was a defect with the jar, I'm sure she's pitched it now and we probably wouldn't be able to tell since it broke.

Stephanie

Stephanie, is it a Provocraft Warmer? Those are the ones that have the 'no veggie wax' warning. Also it really is better (IMO) to use a jar with a larger opening and overall diameter than the 8oz square masons on warmers. The warmer may have gotten too hot for the small size jar/opening/type of wax.

Okay. I bought these from BCS and was gonna place my next order with Riekes (sp?). I just thought it was odd that I have some here that I've warmed for the last 2 or 3 months and have not had one break on a warmer yet. I will find out what kind of warmer she has. I really love these jars but I can't have them breaking on me!

Stephanie

Like soy said, rapid temperature change will cause glass to break. Also, if the same jar has been heated and then cooled enough times it could eventually crack because the expansion and shrinkage caused by heating and cooling can weaken the glass to the point of cracking.

I've seen this happen to a few coffee pots and a pyrex measuring cup (the measuring cup was an extreme example - big mess)

Back when I canned everything my family ate, about 1500 jars a year, I had the occasional jar that just broke for seemingly no reason - always after filling it and putting it through the processor. Those of us who can food just consider it part of the game... jars break sometimes. It can happen with any type of canning jar. Of course, these jars get used over and over, year after year. A lot of the times when they broke, it was the bottom breaking off from the rest of the jar with no apparent defect in the jar beforehand.

With so much coming from China now, I wonder what the standards are for making things like canning jars...

Lori

I gave my friend a wickless jar candle made with the palm container wax from Nuscents with dreamsicle FO and orange coloring. She called tonight to say she heard and pop. When she finally figured out what it was, she said the bottom popped off the mason jar! She said the warmer she used was fairly new, she just bought it last week. I thought maybe it was the wax, but she said she has burned it off and on about 30 times. So, I don't know what caused this. If it was a defect in the jar, don't you think it would have popped sooner? I don't know. I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. Also, she said she had just turned the warmer on and it hadn't even been on for 5 minutes.

Stephanie

I suppose it could just be a fluke, nothing you did, nothing she did specifically. Just a small imperfection in the glass that allowed it to crack.

I've only had one jar do this. But, it was super-small and the wick was probably too big.

Tony

I got some of the 5 oz bean pot jars from the jar store and have tested several so far w/ no prob. But the jars are very thin so I don't know if I should use them or not. Does anyone use jars from the jar store and are all of them on the thin side?

Thanks to all for replying. I know she didn't put it in the fridge. I'm gonna test some this week with extreme measures to see if I can make one break. I've thoroughly inspected all the jars and I see no visible defects, not that there aren't any there I can't see. She has come to the conclusion it was just a freak accident, but I want to make sure this isn't going to happen again. Thanks again for all your help!

Stephanie

Back when I canned everything my family ate, about 1500 jars a year, I had the occasional jar that just broke for seemingly no reason - always after filling it and putting it through the processor. Those of us who can food just consider it part of the game... jars break sometimes. It can happen with any type of canning jar. Of course, these jars get used over and over, year after year. A lot of the times when they broke, it was the bottom breaking off from the rest of the jar with no apparent defect in the jar beforehand.

With so much coming from China now, I wonder what the standards are for making things like canning jars...

Lori

This has happened to me a few times in canning also....only the bottom would pop off! WEIRD!

This has happened to me a few times in canning also....only the bottom would pop off! WEIRD!

It is weird how they'll break like that! :) Glad I'm not the only one! :grin2:

StephD - you'll have to post your results! I'd be interested to know what you figure out!

Lori