A Newbie Question

Here's what I do...I try to get out as much of the wax as possible (much easier with soy than paraffin). I then put them upside down on a cookie sheet lined with newspaper and paper towels. Put in a warm oven (about 175) and let the heat melt all the wax out. HTH :smiley2:

You can wipe off residual wax with a paper towel while the jars are hot (please don't burn yourself or drop the jar). After cooling I use a wax removing substance such as WD-40 or mineral spirits to get rid of the remaining film. Then I wash them with dishwashing liquid and warm water to achieve squeaky cleaness.

I find it rather labor intensive to recycle testing jars. Maybe someone will post a more clever method than mine to get them back to new condition.

Yep, I just heat up the jars in the oven, then pour out the leftover wax, and then wipe out really well with paper towels, and then if there is still residue, I just pop in the dishwasher and they come out like brand new!! ;)

This is exactly what I do and it works perfectly. I never throw away my testing jars. That way, I can spend more money on FO, lol. :grin2:

This is exactly what I do and it works perfectly. I never throw away my testing jars. That way, I can spend more money on FO, lol. :grin2:
You aren't worried about cleaning the remaining wax residue in the dishwasher?. I suppose it's just a trace amount and gets dissolved by the detergent, but I hesitated to do it.

For Eco CBA soy its SOOOO easy, I'll cut out the remaining with a dull knife, then wipe out with a towel or two then get rid of the film with any good grease-cutting detergent (Dawn actually is good for this).

Paraffin (or BW if I happen to have that issue) - place in freezer then break it out. Let go to room temp and heat gun the residue and paper towel off. I'll have to try mineral spirits though ...

Oven is good (if you can trust yours - I can't), if you have a ton of tester jars - I only ever have a few though.

You aren't worried about cleaning the remaining wax residue in the dishwasher?. I suppose it's just a trace amount and gets dissolved by the detergent, but I hesitated to do it.

I'm not worried about it, it's the tiniest amount, really if that that's leftover after cleaning out with the paper towels. ;) Sometimes I don't even stick them in the dishwasher, since I"m just gonna add more wax to them and they're my tester jars anyway. :D

Since all I've done with containers is test, that's all they get used for here. I don't bother washing them. I melt out the excess, then wipe them good with paper towels while hot. I don't really see the point in making them sparkling clean. If there is any trace of wax or scent left in there, it's negligible. After all, I don't scrub out my pour pots that I mix it in with soap and water each time I use them either, just heat and wipe good. There wont be any more left in the container than the traces that are left in the pots. ;)