help with soap size

cre8tivelegance

HI Everyone!

I think I've mastered making soap....well, at least I'm pleased with the few batches I've made and that's after spending countless hours reading the forum here from all you soap experts......thank you for taking the time for us newbies to learn from!

Now I have to master cutting them. I see the average size is right around 5oz. But I'm having trouble finding what dimensions you have to cut the soap at to achieve this weight.

Also, do you have to add the size on your packaging when selling? I see the ingredients isn't necessary but noted that it's good to do so for those who may be allergic to whatever is used......I personally feel this is a good idea as well, but now I'm wondering if it's imperative to put the wt of the soap on your package.

Thanks for your advice!

I'll give you my 2¢, since nobody else has....

How did you choose 4-5 ounces for your bar size?

What size is your mold? Mold size determines bar size if you want to minimize waste.

Personal preference for size is another factor. Some people like big bars, some small.

I don't like bars with a 'square' side, even as a sample. I find them hard to hold.

Didn't help you much.

Good luck,

donna

Thanks Donna for answering......I was beginning to wonder if my posts were invisible.......

I'm not using a regular mold for soap.......I'm using a rubbermaid organizer container......it's sufficient in that it holds 2lbs of soap however, it's an odd size.....I believe it's a 6-1/2 x 9" in container. Therefore, I'm having to measure and cut. Right now, this will have to suffice as I'm not able to afford a soap mold right now and haven't found anything else that I can use.

From all the reading I've done, it seems that a 4 or 5oz bar is a good size. But I don't know what dimensions to use to get this size. I measured mine 3" across, 1" thick and I believe the height is somewhere around 1-1/2-2" high. But when I weigh them, they are roughly around 3oz.

I'm new at this and didn't think to weigh after each cut to make my adjustments and instead, I cut everything first then decided to weight them. Stupid.....I know. I was just wondering for the next batch so that I wouldn't have much waste and could come closer to the size without too much error.

I guess the answer to this question is top secret and I'm out of line in asking it:o

It depends upon the mold I am using. I use martha molds, a log mold and an upland slab mold. So my bars come out to 3 different sizes. The martha mold bars are a bit longer.

The depth of the bars are all about 1".

Log mold bar is 2.5" (wide) X 3.5" (height) X 1" (thickness/depth). Honestly, I've not weighed this bar, so I don't know how much it weighs. The other bars are a bit bigger (I think).

You can get a wider variety of answers on your own. Go to upland molds website and they provide the dimensions of the molds on their site and how many bars the mold makes, so with all that info, you can figure out the dimension of the bars. Keep in mind, if you want a thicker bar, all you do is make a bigger batch, so your bars could be 1", 1.5" or 2.0" all from the same mold and each bar would weigh differently.

Does this help?

Another thing you can do is take a bar of your soap and weigh it. If it's 7 oz, cut some thickness off of it and weigh it again. Keep repeating (cutting off the width and/or length of the bar too, not just thickness) to get the size of bar you want.

thanks rebecca......it does help some......I was hoping to not have to waste too much soap from doing the cutting down process (cutting-weighing, cutting-weighing) and thought there would be someone out there that has had to go through this already and would save me (& others) from having to do the same.

Not a problem really.......other than missing all the oldies from a few years ago who where much more helpful. I do appreciate your response and your willingness to help :D

I don't know how much help I am because I just made my 1st soap this past weekend. I like a large bar so I feel like i am getting my moneys worth. I have been experimenting on different sizes and I am thinking 3 1/2" wide x 4" long x 1" inch thick size bars would probably be about right and they weigh 5 oz. I also am still figuring a cost, but it seems $4.50-$5.25 is what the going rate is in my area.

Sorry we were not helpful enough for you.

Brought out my big spoon.

3.5 X 2.25 X 1.65=6.9 oz DH likes-TOOOOOOOO big for me.

2 7/8 X 2 1/8 X 1 1/4=4.4 oz

Made using different recipes.

Base your bar size on your mold to reduce waste. Crafty's 2.25" x 3.25" bar gives you 8 bars with no waste. This also means that you have no room for error when cutting.

Most peeps on the board, even the 'helpful' members from a few years ago found 'trial and error' to be a great teacher. Really mucking up a recipe adds to your experience base.

Ask me how I know. lol.

What works for one person, may not work for someone else.

donna

Thanks everyone for your replies........very helpful!! I sat down and started doing some math and came up with 3-1/2 x 2" x 1" thick would give me a close enough size......and now by reading what everyone posted helps me know I'm pretty darn close :yay:

thanks again........I'll let you know for sure in the event someone else out there is looking for the same info.