Heat gun, hot throw, & 6006

A multitude of babbling is gonna be going on here :tongue2:

Last night I poured my first containers with 6006 :yay:

Before I poured, I had to run to JoAnn's to get some glue sticks and also picked up a heat wand. A Darius thing-a-mabobbie. One temp, shaped like a Dremel tool of sorts and $20.

So I fired up the Presto pot, and got to work. I made (3) 9oz WSP's Basic Straight Glass jars with CS's Cinnamon Buns. One each with a RRD 34, 37, 40. I poured, threw the comb on the wick and put them back in the now turned off oven to set up/harden.

I woke up this AM and they each had air holes so I poked a couple more holes around the wick and fired up the heat wand and fixed 'em :yay:.

One thing I noticed when I heated them up with the wand was the throw. It was great... would this be a good indication of the hot throw when they are burning? Man I hope so, after my miserable failure with the soy/para blend I used before the 6006, I hope the heat wand hot throw is a sign that the 6006 will be doing what I want it to do... hot throw.

Hee hee hee, I got me a heat wand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and some promising cinnamon buns in the oven (kind of ;) )

Thanks to those who replied to my 6006 temperature questions in the temporary forum.

Another question: When I add my FO, my temp drops a lot. I heated the 6006 to 190, added color, removed from the heat, waited to 180 and added the FO. Immediately after mixing in the FO, I was at 165. What would be a good way to keep the temp up? I also had this significant temp. drop with the previous wax I was using.

Thanks,

Howard

I been very happy with the hot throw with this wax. How much FO are you using? I have been trying 9% FO, but think I am gonna cut it back to 6% to see how it does. I am really having to wick up alot with the 9% in there. Sounds like things are going well. I have found you really have to wick up with this wax because of the soy in it. Let me know how your wicks do, I am still working on wicks for my 8 oz tins.

Hi Howard!

I get a great hot throw with 6006 without having to wait for it to cure... and it gets even better over time too. ;)

I use a Presto Pot, then pour into a pour pot. Then to keep the heat up while adding the FO and dye (when used), I place my pour pot in a double-boiler type of setup with an electric fry pan full of water kept at about 180-200. Works just fine.

Lori

Lori,

I am using my pour pot in the Presto.. LOL, I'm using my Presto as a double boiler. I could lower the temp on the Presto and do as you do...duh... thank you :)

Jill, I used 9% FO. I just finished my 1st burn with the RRD37 and I had a full diameter pool at 2 hr 10 minutes and these jars are 2.5" diameter. At 3 hours the pool was about 0.5" deep. The RRD37 also was sooting a bit right from the get go, but settled down within 30 minutes. The hot throw was a little light, but at least it threw :). After 3hr's, it had a mushroom 1/4" across.

I just fired up the RRD34 and RRD40 about 15 minutes ago and the RRD34 hot throw is better than the RRD37, I need to go downstairs to check the RRD40 throw.

Both the 34/37's have a larger flame than the zincs I was mostly using with that soy/para blend I bailed on. I don't know if that's a characteristic based on the type of wax or the type of wick.

So after these 1st burns tonight, I'll do my second burn over the weekend.

Wow, maybe I should try to down wick mine. I am using tins, 3 1/8" across. I couldnt get a full melt pool with a rrd 50 or 55, the 50 did better on the third burn. If you let them cure longer you will have very good hot throw. The wick thing drives me nuts lol.

The 3 hour burns for the RRD 34 & 40:

The 40: full diameter melt pool at 2hr. 3hr mushroom is very close to the 37 test from above but a bit larger. The depth of the pool was 5/8ths". Scent throw was mediocre.

The 34: full diameter pool at 2.5 hr's. 1/8" mushroom at 3 hr's. Depth of pool was a bit less than 1/2" at 3 hrs. Throw was the best of the 3 and just ok.

The 34 is the smallest I have in the RRD's. Maybe I'll give the 44 & 51 zincs a shot next. I'm not gonna pay $6+ shipping for a bag of wicks and the two suppliers near me don't carry RDD's. We'll see how the zincs do, and if they don't do well, I'll get some smaller RRD's with the next wax order.

I have this wax, but I haven't played with it yet.

I'm glad to see that ppl are liking it. That puts me at ease.

I have a question for you if you bought from CS....

Do you find that the 'wick guide' suggestions are accurate for this wax?

I bought it specifically for a good throwing wax using wicks...not for tarts or wickless.

Thanks!

May I butt in and ask why the need to put them in the oven to set up? I'm guessing the oven is warm when you do it- or not. Perhaps this is where I'm confused. I've read bits and peices here or there... people mention they do it this way but don't go into much detail about why, and there are those who never mention having to do that. Just curious. I accidentally bought this wax for wickless and tarts... it's a bit soft for them but I kinda like it anyway, it holds and takes to color really well. And i've heard so much good stuff about it.

Thanks for any input.- Blaze

Hi Marie,

I have only used the RRD's as was suggested for the 6006 on CS's calculator. It suggested the 37's for my size container and as seen from my posts above, the 34's so far seem to be better. I got the 34's & 40's because I (and the calculator probably states this) figured the suggestions are just a starting point, so I wanted to have somehting on both ends of the suggestion as well. I also checked charts from other sources as well to confirm CS's calculator. It also suggest 44 zincs for the 6006 in 2.5"-3", I would think the 44's are a good start point as well. I am comfortable using the calculator as a starting point suggestion. I asked a few questions on the temporary CT forums before I did my first pour with it, and someone stated that they found the calculator way off. There are tons of variables in wicking I am finding out, so maybe they had something going on out of the ordinary...who knows.

Yep Blaze, Jill hit it on the head. I am up here in Coldland, Oh. The corner of my kitchen I let the candles set in has a draft, and letting the pooches in and out causes lotso temperature varying drafts. So people either put a box over the tops of the candles or use an oven. I prefer the oven as it lets the candles cool slower than the box. I do not use a cool oven, but rather shut the oven off after preheating my containers, then pour, then stick 'em in the still warm oven. In the summer, I will probably go with using a box.

:shocked2:

I missed the OVEN part....BIG NO, NO!!! They must have a constant and even air flow to set up and cure properly.

After making that mistake with disastrous results...trust me. I don't know what happens when you do this..it seems like a logical idea. But I think the candles do not get the steady, even, AIR FLOW, in the oven.

Not only that, but it has, again, the same principle as when making a cake..when you open the oven to check on the cake, or candle, the cool air hits it all at once....causing huge holes and collapse. DO NOT COOL IN AN OVEN!

It is the plague of candles.

I experimented once, and left the oven door closed, and left the candles in overnight. The next day...they still had not set fully, and didn't the damn things all sink and get huge holes!

Sorry that I didn't see that before.

Lori, I am using my pour pot in the Presto.. LOL, I'm using my Presto as a double boiler. I could lower the temp on the Presto and do as you do...duh... thank you :)

You're very welcome! :) This is exactly how I did it until I made the commitment to use my Presto only for wax! That method worked great too.

Interesting reading on your burn tests - keep posting! :) I use zincs with most of my FOs so far and they seem to work pretty well, although if the wick isn't trimmed to 1/4 inch, I get soot! :( I wasn't getting any soot last summer when I first started using this wax... cooler temps now maybe? Zinc wicks maybe? I don't know... I see more testing in my future!

I've been trying something mentioned by Carole on the temp forum - pouring hotter, around 180. Seems to help get a smoother top. Thanks, Carole! :)

Lori

:shocked2:

I missed the OVEN part....BIG NO, NO!!! They must have a constant and even air flow to set up and cure properly.

After making that mistake with disastrous results...trust me. I don't know what happens when you do this..it seems like a logical idea. But I think the candles do not get the steady, even, AIR FLOW, in the oven.

Not only that, but it has, again, the same principle as when making a cake..when you open the oven to check on the cake, or candle, the cool air hits it all at once....causing huge holes and collapse. DO NOT COOL IN AN OVEN!

It is the plague of candles.

I experimented once, and left the oven door closed, and left the candles in overnight. The next day...they still had not set fully, and didn't the damn things all sink and get huge holes!

Sorry that I didn't see that before.

I cool about half the time in my oven and have never had a problem. Good to know that can happen.

Hmmmm, Marie, did you notice my new moniker... an enigma, no longer a wax drip... yet you come in and slap me around... haa haa haa.... just playing ;)

I was under the impression that when using a box, the box was put over the candles upside down. So I suppose I need to get me a right side up box rather than the oven. Maybe the holes I had in each of the 3 first pours was due to the no airflow. Shoot, I was all psyched using my new heat wand :( I'm sure something else will need some Darius heat so it wasn't a wasted purchase :yay:.

Haa haa haa Blaze, slinging it right back... I love it :)

Lori, I wanted to pour higher; I read what you read in the temp forum. That was the reason for my question about keeping the temp up.

Interesting reading on your burn tests - keep posting! :) I use zincs with most of my FOs so far and they seem to work pretty well, although if the wick isn't trimmed to 1/4 inch, I get soot! :( I wasn't getting any soot last summer when I first started using this wax... cooler temps now maybe? Zinc wicks maybe? I don't know... I see more testing in my future!

lori

i have used zinc, and cd's and i still get soot, usually not until the last 1/2 to 1/4 of the candle. i have up'd and down'd wick'd, using the same wax and same fo and same jars. on one jar it had very little and 30 mins later it was black from middle of jar to the top. no drafts, and keeping wicks trimmed to 1/4 or less..any ideas..

sorry ragnarock for hijacking again:wave:also with cd's i found that the wick burns out at about 1/8" and in turn that leaves about 1/8"wax in jar. the zinc wicks burn completely and all wax is gone also...(i like it like that) but hate the mushrooms.

i have used zinc, and cd's and i still get soot, usually not until the last 1/2 to 1/4 of the candle. i have up'd and down'd wick'd, using the same wax and same fo and same jars. on one jar it had very little and 30 mins later it was black from middle of jar to the top. no drafts, and keeping wicks trimmed to 1/4 or less..any ideas...

Exactly what's happening to me, but usually when I don't trim wicks short enough, sometimes even when I do though. I've been doing the same wick up and down routine, only with cotton instead of CDs. It seems to happen more with creme brulee than any other FO. I went down to 8% with it, and that was better. (usually use 9%) I'm starting to think (maybe I'm slow?) that it's the FO load that's causing the soot.

Lori

Exactly what's happening to me, but usually when I don't trim wicks short enough, sometimes even when I do though. I've been doing the same wick up and down routine, only with cotton instead of CDs. It seems to happen more with creme brulee than any other FO. I went down to 8% with it, and that was better. (usually use 9%) I'm starting to think (maybe I'm slow?) that it's the FO load that's causing the soot.

Lori

i am not to up on the percentage adding, i just use 1oz. p.p. of wax. excatly.

i have used what i considered light fo's(butterfly kisses), but have also used peach, mulberry twist, with all the same results, today i will be trying the LX'S, to see if they may make a difference.

HOWEVER,, i bought 2 candles back in dec. from a lady that has been in businese for years, has her own shops and sets up satellite shops at malls and such, handpoured candles etc..etc.. i never got around to burning them because at that time is when my addiction started to take over:) so...i gave one to my sister and i kept the other..the other day i went to visit sis..and she had started burning hers..and low and behold the top edge of candle jar was covered in soot...so i came home and started burning mine...and yep sure enough soot..began forming..the scent is cinnamon..it is a large container, double wicked..smells wonderful..and it is a swirl candle..now me being a consumer..i would buy her candles again, cause the scent is so great..and as for the soot, i will just have to contend with keeping it wiped off.. i paid 14.95 each, and i believe it is maybe 16oz.,no weight on jar anywhere.

just thought i'd share.:smiley2:

i did 5 different pours today, using 6006, 1# at a time, different cont. and wicks were zinc and lx16's. the pic i am going to post is 3"dia. proably should have doubled it. i did some tureens that is 3"dia. i did double wick them using the lx16. but i tell ya, just about every cont. had the sink holes, and it was very warm in my kitchen, i kept them grouped to together so they wouldnt cool down to quickly.

now this candle has been testing for 1 hr. the scent is watermelon,and i dont really smell a thing, every once in a while i get a whiff.but of course i have candle nose from 5 different scents today:laugh2:

th_mommyscandles001.jpgth_mommyscandles002.jpgok now at 2 hours it is still not any better than at 1 hr.as for the others i will post later for them once i can test, i cant wait to see what the double wick does..