New to forum

Hello everyone since I am new to candle making and to this forum I was taking this opportunity to introduce myself and ask my first question. Wicking is becoming a total mess and I am wasting alot of product with testing. Can anyone reccomend way to test with out wsting my jars?

You can make it without wick. You can take a skewer to make a hole to put your wick in or poke the wick in when its almost set up. Just cut the tab out. If you have the wrong wick, you can yank it out and try another. You can also melt the wax out in a low oven. I have done that, when it gets smushy I use a icecream scoop to get it all out. And I just repour then. Good luck and welcome!

Hi!!!!

Welcome to the board and the joys of candle making:yay: . I agree with the previous post. Cut the tab off poke a hole and insert your wick. It sure saves having to constantly repour, remelt and especially saves having to waste your jars. That can get really expensive.

Welcome to the board :)

Reusing the jars (for testing yourself only!) and following the wick advice given will help cuts some waste. Getting organized and testing methodically will eliminate some mess and waste. Stick to one container, scent, formula/procedure and wick. Adjust the wick size up or down one size at a time and record the results. If it still isn't how you want, make a different change. Maybe a different type wick, amount of FO, different wax, etc. Just make one change at a time though or you wont know which change helped or made it worse.

Also, the statement "wasting a lot" is relative. How much do you consider a lot to be?

Having said that, you will find that you'll burn up a good portion of your supplies in testing. There's just no way around it. Whether it's a small business or a hobby, making quality candles is expensive. :undecided

Too all the above.. I add take good notes. When I get a new fo to test I look at whats in it... then I look over my notes and start with a wick that I know worked for the key ingredients. For example.. anything with apple in it I test with a LX24, amber or patchouli need bigger wicks, fruits tend to work with smaller wicks, dark fo need the bigger, lighter fo need the smaller. After a few years.. and a lot of $$ :tongue2: , you can pretty much get it right on your first attempt. Good luck, have fun and welcome.