Important- Eco CBA lables!!!

Howdy! I noticed today as I was working that some of my cases of the CBA said 'new & Improved' and some did not. I just got a shipment last week of 5 cases and thought I had used up my old stuff before I opened the new. So I pondered on that for a few minutes, checked my invoice, thinking about when I had poured what. Finally decided to call the supplier to ask if I could feel confident that the lables were accurate, new verses old. She said she would hope so, but suggested I test each box! I didn't like that answer so I called Nature's Gift (the manufacturer). There's a batch # on every box, although a little tough to read. She said they had reports of the old lable on the new stuff!

Fair warning here guys; call them and check the batch #'s on your cases to be sure!

I also told them that about adding the 2% steric and the great results I was having. (with the steric, these are the nicest burning, and the longest burning candles I have ever seen; and I mean EVER!) They said they had heard that was working; so I said, "guess that means it's a pretty safe bet you'll be messing with this formula too to try to eliminate the need for steric?"; she said, "I would think so". At least that's a heads up! Of course we'll probably be the last ones told!

Henry, sure you don't want to send them your resume'?

Gretchen

I hope they can improve the scent throw better in the new new one too. I really struggle with this. And I have heard others say the same. I know this has been covered extensively in other threads, but I forgot if the stearic helps with scent throw as well as the pits and cracks. Do you think it does?

From what I've poured so far, I'm happy with the scent throw, but I wasn't unhappy with the original CBA's throw. The cold wasn't as strong, but after a proper cure it was fine, IMO. I was happy with the first CBA. This stuff gets wet spots too. The one thing that I have to say about this new stuff is, with the addition of the steric, no kidding, these puppies burn FOREVER! And beautifully! I ahve a tumbler here, same wick as I used with the first CBA, 10 oz of wax, 10z. pp of Fo, that used to burn 45+ hours. This new stuff with the steric, well I don't know. So far, two burns, for a total of about 16 hrs. and it's only down 9/16". I'd like to hear opinions on that. I've never had a candle burn so slow and so perfectly; well should I say, so far, knock on wood! Today it went for 11 hours! We'll see.

Gretchen

Oh- the throw was great and this one was just poured last thursday, but the steric was added yesterday. Don't ask; wasn't fun, but turned out great

Well that's a good thought Mystical but I don't think the problem is procedural. I made the FO addition around 170 or 175 and poured around 140, with considerable time for stirring while the wax cooled.

I think the fragrance retention of this wax is estimated at 6% so perhaps I was pushing the limit. However, HenryK once suggested that it might have nothing to do with FO but just the nature of frost resistant all-soy waxes. There's a photo of the phenomenon in this thread (different wax but identical appearance):

http://www.candletech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892

Scroll down to the heart-shaped candle.

Wow, thats wild and seems like it could be very perplexing.

Considering that candle in the pic has no FO. I have never seen a soy candle do that before while burning. I have had jars "sweat" when its blasted hot here, but I usually just move them in cooler place then blast them with the heatgun for appearance sake. My theory now would be its either a snafu that comes with the frost resistant wax or the FO load was to the limit. Or a combo of both.

Sorry I can't be of more help to you.

More so with the old than the new. Just a little with the new, when temps were hotter. I'm not seeing it all now after the stearic addition. So whether its the temps or the stearic I'm not sure - its probably both, but I'm thinking that bit of stearic is helping tremendously with that factor.