Price of a bar of soap?

stacien

I went to Disney a while back. They have a store called Basin. They sell glycerin soaps, bath bombs, body butter and they sell castille soaps. You would not believe what they sell a bar of soap for. I am looking at a bar that was weighed at 0.14oz. for $5.53 Well I weighed it and it was. 4 oz. Its only about 1/2 and inch thick. I was just noticing a lot of people start at $5.00 on their sites. And give a generous sized bar regardless what the weight is. I want to know how we come across these prices to sell. Of course I know we work out the cost of supplies. But how did everyone come up with 3-5 dollars a bar? I was just curious what is your overhead on soap? I would think handmade soaps would be more because this is real authentic soaps not detergents that we buy now. This is quality craftsmanship and supplies used. It makes me think you guys deserve more than that for your work. I go into the grocery store and pay almost $4.00 just for a bar of dial.

Well, FO is not cheap, neither are the oils that we use. But for me, my bars at about 4 oz can cost anywhere between 1.12 and 1.55 per bar. Then there is labelling, packaging etc. I personally charge 5 dollars a bar.

I was in the retail store that carry my products, and I saw she had some bar soap in there from "Kiss My Face". They were selling it for 4 dollars per bar and it was an 8 oz bar. I was floored. It was a castile made in Italy though. Olive oil is cheap there I bet. :laugh2:

With the research that I have done, it seems that the average is $1.00 per oz. A lot depends on your area, marketing, packaging, etc.

I sell my 6 oz. bars for $6.00. The wholesale accounts that I have sell them for $6.99- $7.99. In our area, there is no problem selling them for this price.

That's what I do, $1 per ounce and they sell well at that price.

I'm pretty much a $1 per oz. too. I was surprised at the prices one of my wholesale accounts retails for my products for. But the gal told me her husband said to her once that it was easier to sell a $1500 horse than a $500 horse. Why? Because folks tend to think that if the horse is $1500 is must be so much better than that $500 horse and will buy. Same concept with our products. I can see the thinking there but still feel I can keep my prices reasonable and still a make a profit. On some products I make more of a profit than others.

When I figure my cost, I include everything: boxes, labels, etc. I've been averaging about $1 per 6 oz bar for cost. If I bought in larger bulk it would be less but I risk the rancidity factor on the oils. I've had some 7 pounders turn on me so I can't imagine going larger on those specialty oils. Stuff like coconut, FCO, PKO, palm, no problem. I buy my RBO (base oil) by the case too.